Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spider-man metal.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted
Anyone buying the Spider-Man metal release?

It has been interesting to watch on Blowout/ePack.

I think the initial pricing was around $299 a box

6 cards per pack, 12 packs per box, 12 boxes per case

2021 Skybox Marvel Metal Universe Spider-Man Hobby Box Break Average
3 Gold FX Parallels
1 Numbered Base/High Series Parallel
2 Grandiose Parallels
1 Palladium Insert

Retailers have boxes priced at over $600 now. ePack boxes are $475 -- but only contain about 12 cards as all low series base cards are digital.

Here are the possible case hits -- I'm not sure how many cases have these.
Base/High Series Purple Parallel (1/1)
Amazing Fantasy #15 Comic Cuts
Autographed Comic Cuts
Original Art Sketch Card
Planet Metal Gold Insert
Platinum Portrait Insert
Skyscraper Shadowbox SSP Insert
X-Force Super Rave Insert (1/1)

First, I think it is a travesty that they cut up an Amazing Fantasy 15 -- they have the complete cover cut up, so this wasn't like a totally destroyed copy already.

Upper Deck is selling a ton of this on ePack at $475 a box. Many people on Blowout are very engaged with this set. . . There are a lot of cards in this set that are selling for thousands of dollars. Many of the buyers seem to be new to Marvel/entertainment cards.

Personally I don't get it.

I mean -- I understand that sports card collectors love PMGs due to nostalgia from older sports PMGs, but . . . I don't get it. The prices are WAY higher than recent Marvel sets.

I bought 2 ePacks as a gamble and luckily hit 4 physical cards. Ultimately my $80 purchase netted probably $8 in cards -- and I was lucky one of my Grandiose cards was pretty decent -- it's 'worth' about $7, the rest pennies each. So yeah, $80 for 4 physical cards.

. . . is this the future of Marvel cards? Who are the buyers who are ultimately paying $5000 for a PMG? If this isn't the future -- how long can it last?

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's not a set for card collectors. It's for hipsters with money who seem to be amused by cards longer than I thought they would. It is terrible that they cut up a rare comic for cuts. Only someone who doesn't care about comics at all would want one of those.

The funny thing is even if the cards drop off a cliff in value later, rich hipsters won't care. They'll think it's funny and go back to collecting first editions of books they've never read.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
It's not a set for card collectors.

Sums it up perfectly.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:

Sums it up perfectly.

There are over 60 pages of posts about these cards on Blowout. They started early in the year. There wasn't even a thread about them here until just now. I think that says it all too.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:

Sums it up perfectly.

While true, this set isn't much different than X-Men Metal, or other recent Marvel sets. . . but for some reason this set has attracted a pile of speculators, graders, investors, etc.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Not everything is for everyone. Nor should it be. If this fills a void for some or gets them excited for whatever reason, cool. And if it's not, that's cool too.

As for the comic cuts, it's likely an off-condition copy or scraps of a copy they got cheap. At least that is how it has been in the past and how cut signatures get made.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I am in a couple of Facebook groups for cards and the people buying this are what the rest of us call the gamblers. They want to make big money of these upper deck products. Someone got a red foil variant of a card and instantly wanted 7000 for it. No one has offered to buy it and now he is selling a lot of stuff from his collection saying he is about to lose his house if people Do not but what he put into it. CraZy money!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I don't collect these. Can someone please tell me whether the odds of finding a certain card are listed on the boxes/packs? Does anyone know the eventual or final print run on this product?

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
I don't collect these. Can someone please tell me whether the odds of finding a certain card are listed on the boxes/packs? Does anyone know the eventual or final print run on this product?

All of the odds for unnumbered cards are on the checklist here: https://www.beckett.com/news/s...r-man-trading-cards/

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ryan! By the way, loved Nanaimo when my wife and I visited a few years ago.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
I am in a couple of Facebook groups for cards and the people buying this are what the rest of us call the gamblers. They want to make big money of these upper deck products. Someone got a red foil variant of a card and instantly wanted 7000 for it. No one has offered to buy it and now he is selling a lot of stuff from his collection saying he is about to lose his house if people Do not but what he put into it. CraZy money!

Strange -- gamblers, flippers and speculators oh my!

Seems like the tone in the chat on Blowout is changing from euphoric to . . . far less than euphoric.

I was watching people brag about their pulls, but they were bragging about 'pulling a red PMG out of 3 boxes' kind of a thing -- which in many cases meant spending $1500 to pull a $100-500 card. It sucks when that happens if you are actually collecting the product, but if you are just flipping for profit -- yikes.

It seems like they have priced out many collectors, which would have been fine if the set sold out quickly, but it seems to be lasting on ePack a lot longer than the buyers expected. . .

Congrats to UD for capitalizing.

posted Hide Post
I bought a base set (#1-100) on eBay and am slowly working on putting together a Gold Parallel and a retail Yellow Parallel set as well. The price on e-Pack is outrageous and very disappointing. Oh well.

Posts: 62 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post