Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Spreading the Non-Sport joy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spreading the Non-Sport joy
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
Since we've been talking so much about what might be a challenge to the Non-Sport hobby, what do you do (or can suggest) to help spread the word about the hobby?

I've taken to using unwanted base cards as book marks and leaving them in when I return books to the library or donate to the goodwill (Charity).

I figure at worst it's taken out (and I hope sold or recycled) or used a bookmark or (hopefully) gets someone interested in the find and seeking out more information about the hobby.

Would it work if we had things as well as cards like (obvious example) Non-Sport Update bookmarks or stickers or items to pass onto others to help promote the Non-Sport hobby?

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi TCOO,

My idea has been to leave recent issues of NSU and The Wrapper in hospital waiting rooms, doctor's offices, dental offices, etc. It might remind an adult who collected cards as a kid that cards are still out there or get the attention of someone who's only heard about sports and Pokemon cards. It might interest someone who collects similar items like comics or toys. It might help someone take his/her mind off the reason they're in the waiting room for a few minutes.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
Since we've been talking so much about what might be a challenge to the Non-Sport hobby, what do you do (or can suggest) to help spread the word about the hobby?

I've taken to using unwanted base cards as book marks and leaving them in when I return books to the library or donate to the goodwill (Charity).

I figure at worst it's taken out (and I hope sold or recycled) or used a bookmark or (hopefully) gets someone interested in the find and seeking out more information about the hobby.

Would it work if we had things as well as cards like (obvious example) Non-Sport Update bookmarks or stickers or items to pass onto others to help promote the Non-Sport hobby?

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
Do you think that Goodwill would want boxes of base cards? I might take my base up there.

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:
Do you think that Goodwill would want boxes of base cards? I might take my base up there.

When I unhauled a lot of my collection a few years back after giveaways via the forum I took the remainder to the goodwill and they did sell, so yes I'm sure they can make a few bucks on them.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Hi TCOO,

My idea has been to leave recent issues of NSU and The Wrapper in hospital waiting rooms, doctor's offices, dental offices, etc. It might remind an adult who collected cards as a kid that cards are still out there or get the attention of someone who's only heard about sports and Pokemon cards. It might interest someone who collects similar items like comics or toys. It might help someone take his/her mind off the reason they're in the waiting room for a few minutes.

Jess

That's a great idea Jess! You're right because it appeals to all ages and there's nothing (except maybe certain sets) that's really age inappropriate, it can be read by many people. And as you said, waiting rooms can be scary places for patients and relatives so most distractions are welcome.

I heard some people on the boards who donated old cards most aimed at youth or generic sports sets to hospitals primarily youth wards and they were well received. I'm sure your back issues of NSU are too. Thumb Up

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I've been trying to include packs of cards to my daughter's elementary classmates whenever there is a birthday or other situations. Have to get the next generation interested in trading cards Wink

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I've been doing my small part by including a "why collect promo cards" blurb with every item I list for sale on Ebay. Before you say but "you are preaching to the choir" remember there are several ways that people search on the bay and even if I can reach just a few curious souls who accidentally find my listing, and read what non sport trading cards are and that they actually exist, it's worth it. So to all you autograph, specialty,thematic,movies, cars, comics, pop culture etc.. card collectors/sellers out there, think about including in your descriptions a little blurb to introduce the "general" collectors to our hobby. It won't cost you anything and together we may be able to reach thousands of new addicts and perhaps enlist more than a few into our ranks. Just a thought!

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought of another place to drop off back issues of NSU...laundromats. A few months ago, I went to the laundromat for my mom to wash a mattress cover that was too big for her washer. They have industrial-size washers and dryers. While there, I noticed a stack of magazines and some in a magazine holder mounted to the wall.

The next time I went, I brought a couple of NSU copies and when I went again a few weeks ago, they were gone. Hopefully, that means someone was interested enough to buy some cards from an advertiser and maybe even subscribe for a year.

I dropped off another copy at a local hospital two weeks ago.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
IF you do decide to donate -
do NOT give to Goodwill as they do absolutely NOTHING for the communities and keep ALL monies for themselves!
Please, donate to VOA, who helps veterans, or Salvation Army, who helps low income families pay bills AND of course give Christmas!!!
Also, consider donating to schools too.

Posts: 6 | Location: Flint, MI | Registered: September 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnnotice:

do NOT give to Goodwill as they do absolutely NOTHING for the communities and keep ALL monies for themselves

I volunteer for a hospice charity shop that provides care for the terminally ill in the last few months of their lives. We work all day for no pay in order to make this happen. For you to suggest otherwise is disgusting and an insult to all the volunteers who do likewise. Mad Twak

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My comment is my personal opinion and is based on my first hand experience and knowledge from working at a local Goodwill.
I also worked for VOA (Volunteers Of America).
Like any person or organization, there are good and bad.
My experiences with Goodwill was NOT good.
VOA was wonderful!!!
My recommendation is to donate to the organization that does the MOST good for the community as a whole!

Posts: 6 | Location: Flint, MI | Registered: September 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
My comment is my personal opinion and is based on my first hand experience and knowledge from working at a local Goodwill.
I also worked for VOA (Volunteers Of America).
Like any person or organization, there are good and bad.
My experiences with Goodwill was NOT good.
VOA was wonderful!!!
My recommendation is to donate to the organization that does the MOST good for the community as a whole!

A very narrow experience and poorly chosen words. One local goodwill!!

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I do NOT understand the anger and hostility against me from wolfie and hammer?
I may be new to this forum but, I am an older person and has lived & traveled & worked & volunteered in MANY different states and countries having grown up in the early 1960's.
I speak from experience and experienced many of the beginnings of collectibles including Marvel comics, Mars Attacks cards, and Kenner Star Wars toys.
I am also a long time collector of non-sports cards - long BEFORE many others collected!
I have attended and dealt at MANY various local shows and big time conventions around the country over the MANY MANY years - long BEFORE such shows and conventions were known or popular and back when fans could meet & mingle with celebrities for FREE!!!
I may be new to this technology but, made my statements here on this forum as polite and proper as possible - expressing both potential sides - bad as well as the good.
I did NOT criticize or attack another member, like wolfie and hammer have done to me.
My many years shopping at Goodwill and my later having worked at Goodwill formed my honest opinions - the sad and dishonest things I heard AND saw working at Goodwill you would not believe possible from a company that is supposed to help others!
Yes, it was one local location but, at least I CAN say I ACTUALLY worked and volunteered there and I KNOW what I experienced!
I also previously commended the VOA - they were a wonderful, fun, and helpful place to work and volunteer and also do a LOT to help veterans and the local community as well!
Neither wolfie or hammer mentioned my positive comments about VOA or Salvation Army or donating to schools?!?
The negativity against me for expressing myself shown here by other members IS part of the problem with collecting in general!
The elitist are quick to judge and condemn the smallest or single minor point but, totally ignore the major or whole meaning.
There are good and bad in everything.
How WE conduct ourselves and how WE treat others is what separates us from the rest AND MAKES A DIFFERENCE!
The collecting society SHOULD be more accepting and helpful to others, especially new and potentially new collectors, to help build and propagate the hobby.

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
The negativity against me for expressing myself shown here by other members IS part of the problem with collecting in general!

I don't have a dog in this fight at all, but I have to say I took your initial post as negativity against other posts.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by burnnotice:
do NOT give to Goodwill as they do absolutely NOTHING for the communities and keep ALL monies for themselves!

I think the problem is you make a blanket negative statement about Goodwill. If you had said that you had negative experiences with goodwill in your area and would not donate to them then that is perfectly reasonable. What your statement above comes across as saying is all goodwill everywhere is crooked .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do NOT understand the anger and hostility against me from wolfie and hammer?

I know wolfie works very hard with goodwill causes and I know that in my area they do a good job. Blanket statement's are always a dangerous area and I'm sorry that you're experience wasn't positive with goodwill.

Welcome to card talk, I don't think a post about charity proves any elitist collecting mentality and I look forward to seeing more posts from you on the actual hobby.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think we all have out favorite charities and some that may have turned us off, just like everything else in life. The larger ones, like Salvation Army, Red Cross, United Way and Goodwill are funneling off monies to other smaller charities and to their own projects.

They all keep money for operating expenses and management and fund raising. That is the thing that I look for the most. How much money is being turned over to the people who need it and how much are they keeping just to churn back into the organization? Some of them keep an awful lot for themselves. So if you are donating, you should pick one that is giving the most help out. That way you feel your donations are doing more, but remember that there is always a lot of work you are not seeing.

Unpaid volunteers are special people and no matter what charity they represent, they are doing wonderful work. Theirs is the job that most often effects people and they can only work with what they have, regardless of the organization. So it doesn't matter, they are helping where they can.

Time to get back to non-sport cards and spreading the joy. Smile

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there is just some misunderstanding about goodwill, the general noun, and Goodwill (short for Goodwill Industries), the American company which operates in other countries but perhaps not the UK.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I think we all have out favorite charities and some that may have turned us off, just like everything else in life. The larger ones, like Salvation Army, Red Cross, United Way and Goodwill are funneling off monies to other smaller charities and to their own projects.

They all keep money for operating expenses and management and fund raising. That is the thing that I look for the most. How much money is being turned over to the people who need it and how much are they keeping just to churn back into the organization? Some of them keep an awful lot for themselves. So if you are donating, you should pick one that is giving the most help out. That way you feel your donations are doing more, but remember that there is always a lot of work you are not seeing.

Unpaid volunteers are special people and no matter what charity they represent, they are doing wonderful work. Theirs is the job that most often effects people and they can only work with what they have, regardless of the organization. So it doesn't matter, they are helping where they can.

Time to get back to non-sport cards and spreading the joy. Smile

Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
There are some schools here that have a green Christmas each year. They take items that are donated and have a sale to the students. I have sent some extra base sets to those sales thinking that a student might like them for him or herself or buy it for a parent.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I’ve been posting pictures of my cards, comics, and NSU and my social media more frequently. My hope is that it plants a seed to get people to think about getting and giving trading cards.
Took some trading cards to a few comic shops for them to display for selling or giving away. For Halloween, we gave out comic books. Then for Christmas, gave superheroes toys and cards to the kids. Just trying to somehow get the next generation of collectors exposed and interested in cards.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post