Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collecting in the UK
 Login/Join

posted
I have a question about card collecting in the UK, is there a scene? Are there regular get togethers or conventions etc? I know about comic-con (I havent been, but will go this year) but where else does the ability exist to buy cards direct from dealers or discuss and chat or meet and swap?

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are several large shows around the U.K. where you can purchase cards from Dealers.

www.collectormanialondon.com

www.memorabilia.co.uk

Harris usually has a Table at the Birmingham Memorabilia Show in November and sometimes the London Collectomania also in November, here you can usually meet fellow collectors and NSU members.

Around the Country several Local show are also run by

www.goldenorbit.co.uk/goldenorbit/Frames2.htm

I'm sure other members will respond with other Venues of Shows.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: treksearcher,

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
Hello

There's the The National Collectors Marketplace at the Royal National Hotel in London.

www.comicmart.co.uk

There are comics and card dealers there, probably 4-5 dealers the last time I attended.

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
In addition to the link treksearcher posted

http://www.collectormania.com/

There are usually a few dealers and cardtalkers at these events

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
There's a Sci-Fi/Film and Comic fair being held on Saturday March 5th and the Bluecoat, School Lane, Liverpool. Not sure if it's all new show or an old show that used to be held there.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I live in Scotland and I am finding it difficult attending anything except Collectormania at the Braehead Arena in Glasgow.

I might try and attend the Newcastle event in February thanks for the links.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by william291077:
Howdy,

I live in Scotland and I am finding it difficult attending anything except Collectormania at the Braehead Arena in Glasgow.

TTFN

Hi

Contact me via my profile and I will update you about the Newcastle Show as it's my Local Fair.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Howdy,

TTFN

The Newcastle show is a massive disappointment. It normally has perhaps 10 dealers at most. Save up and try and get to the bigger shows, hotels at memorabilia can be as cheap as £18.00 a night.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, there are few more things going on than I originally thought. Nice, I will add a few to my calender.

Thanks

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are also 2 business cards from Uk dealers in the business card section of the current NSU, in addition there are usually at least two or three postcard fairs held every week-end around the UK where its likely that some of the dealers may have available a bi-monthly magazine called Card Times which lists lots of UK card fairs. Although primarily a Cigarette Card magazine it does feature non cigarette cards as well, unfortunately it does not have a web presence.

Posts: 2120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I do fancy the bigger shows Sci-fiPlanet but given the striking distance of Newcastle I was going to give it a shot.

I will definately attend a bigger event either in London or Birmingham this year.

I have dropped you an email treksearcher, thanks.

The business cards in NSU have been there since I started my subscription and I have been in contact with both but yeilded nothing.

I have found some good eBay stores and occassional local purchases but I really need to get out and about and meet some dealers and other collectors.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Howdy,

I do fancy the bigger shows Sci-fiPlanet but given the striking distance of Newcastle I was going to give it a shot.

I will definately attend a bigger event either in London or Birmingham this year.

I have dropped you an email treksearcher, thanks.

The business cards in NSU have been there since I started my subscription and I have been in contact with both but yeilded nothing.

I have found some good eBay stores and occassional local purchases but I really need to get out and about and meet some dealers and other collectors.

TTFN

email sent.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
william where do you live ?

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy John,

I live in Glasgow, why do you ask?

TTFN

Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy treksearcher,

Thanks fot the email.

TTFN

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
Just to know , so I dont advise on shows that are hundreds of miles from you and no one else seemed to ask Big Grin

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy John,

Thanks for asking that is really considerate of you.

Given my location I can either settle on two shows a year or travel the 100's of miles.

My hobby currently consists of this forum and eBay so I am looking to expand my horizons.

TTFN

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
go to wolfies house , there's probably more cards there than at the shows , he may charge an entrance + parking .

Posts: 1132 | Location: Cleveland Hts. , Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
You know i think he's right on all those points. Big Grin

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post