Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Autograph Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
My opinion is that Depp won't lose his card demand because of what he may or may not have done, he was always an edgy guy and people admired it. However if he keeps making rotten movies, and he is on a streak right now, that alone should bring down his card's value that alone should bring down his card's value, which is listed at $700.

[...]

With the exception of O. J. Simpson of course. His certified autographed sports cards are still being offered for around $60, well below their highs before and even during the trial, but dealers tell me that they are virtually untouchable, as no one is buying. So I guess there is a point where demand can just stop.

I think you're being far to literal Raven. Whether he stars in more good/bad movies it is is almost irrelevant at this point. He will always be Edward Scissorhands. He will always be Captain Jack Sparrow. He is a true A-lister. And to a degree, people will always adore him for what he had done, even if what comes later pales in comparison. His only on-card auto is likely to be the only one there will ever be, so will always command very strong money regardless.

Whether all this Amber Heard stuff is true or not, I think unless famous people are involved with something as truly shocking/scandalous as the O.J. example, they will still have their fans. Whether right or wrong I don't think it will have much effect on the value of a super rare trading card.

Add the new Alice in Wonderland film to the list of Depp films which has under performed. Yet another step backward for him

Posts: 3993 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
He's already done plenty of crappy movies, including the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as you say. Megan Fox was always a **** actress and always will be a **** actress, and doesn't star in great movies, but has that ever stopped her card being expensive?

IMO "too literal" as in you said more poor movies from him = it should bring down the card's value. You're applying a very literal, and logical, real world argument to an illogical and niche hobby....

Got it, I don't mind being called too logical, and you're right, logic can put you on the wrong track. Wink

As for Fox, never should her autograph card be on the same level as "A" actors, but she's a Babe and her talent lies elsewhere. Big Grin

I was reading an article about Fox the other day and was surprised to see how little she has made from her movies. I think it says that over her career, she's made only 6 to 8 million tops, her entire net worth

Posts: 3993 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
My biggest autograph card is the double signed Pellegrini and Johnson Wizard of Oz card. It measures 3" by 5".

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Just lost out on a Clint Howard Auto from the recent Star Trek 50th Set. While his auto cards are going for around $25.00, this one had the words "But First the Tranya" as well as his signature, and went for $178.00. So its not only the person but also anything interesting that can increase the price.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
Just lost out on a Clint Howard Auto from the recent Star Trek 50th Set. While his auto cards are going for around $25.00, this one had the words "But First the Tranya" as well as his signature, and went for $178.00. So its not only the person but also anything interesting that can increase the price.

Wow, Howard is basically a common autograph in every ST set, with the possible exception of his A13 in the first original series. Inscriptions generally will add a premium to the price, but this is like a $15 signature card going up another $163. That's a big jump.

I was looking you-no-where for the sold item to try to see the bidding, but couldn't find it. I was wondering if this was a case of two bidders locking horns and not giving up? Only way I could explain it.

I know the conventional wisdom in this hobby is to just always say whatever it's worth to you is OK, but I don't follow conventional wisdom. People can and do overpay sometimes and this to me is an overpayment.

Update, just found it on new search. As I suspected 31 bids, but only 4 bidders. When it hit the $80 mark it became only 2 bidders. Somebody just ran this one up, hope it was worth it to the winner.

But happy for Lynne. Thumb Up

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post