Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Stana Katic The Spirit autos not legit…???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stana Katic The Spirit autos not legit…???
 Login/Join

posted
So… came across this on Twitter…

https://twitter.com/stana_kati...693107075764225?s=21

I have one that looks exactly the same, pulled from a Razor Ink pack, if memory serves.

Any other info out there on the legitimacy of the cards in that set?

Posts: 213 | Location: SY, England | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well this is an interesting one. I assume that's supposed to be Stana Katic herself saying the signature on her Inkworks' Spirit certified autograph card is a fake. News to me, I can't recall having heard it before and its been since 2008. Nor did I just find anything online talking about it, but that's not conclusive.

I have one that also looks similar enough. Not an exact copy to that one, small differences, but others in online images are even closer. Always the chance of an autopen on some number of copies.

All of the Spirit autographs were redemptions. I bought a ton of the Razor Ink repackages that had a lot of the Spirit autos because the boxes were released in the final days of Inkworks and they were left in unredeemed inventory that was sold to Razor. However Katic didn't sign for Castle and this is her only certified card, so I wanted it. I know I bought mine off eBay from a very reliable and well known dealer and I'm sure it is absolutely genuine, from him anyway.

So I don't know, maybe someone associated with her did it and she didn't know about it or she's saying it's an autopen or that the card maker did it. A little late to be making a forgery claim now since the card has been out so long, but perhaps I just missed the memo. Anyway if the example shown in the link is a fake, then so is the one I have.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Maybe she signed the stickers on the sheet never knowing they'd be applied to cards, so seeing her signature on a card would appear as fake to her. Maybe she'll elaborate.

But, really, Inkworks was able to get Samuel L. Jackson autographs for this set, but had to forge Stana Katic autographs, especially early on in her career?

Yeah, uh, no.
There's no way Inkworks would've put out anything they knew wasn't her signature.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bummer if it is fake. I paid over $100 for one of her cards earlier this year.

Posts: 62 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It seems unlikely that in 2008 Stana's career was at the point that she was using secretarial signatures.

Don't believe Inkworks was ever accused of using fake autographs, and Katic wasn't even a marquee name in this set at the time.

If Inkworks were going to fake a signature in this set it would have made a lot more sense to fake Scarlett Johansson or Eva Mendes.

It is possible that these aren't her signature, although I think it would be more likely that she doesn't remember signing a sheets of stickers over a decade ago.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may have missed something, but I looked at several Blu Rays and DVDs of this movie and looked at a bunch of movie posters and Katic's character doesn't seem to appear on any of them, and her name isn't even featured on the poster or any of the media.

It would make no sense at all that Inkworks would risk their business on her autograph.

It could be possible that someone signed the stickers on her behalf, but given her level of fame at the time that seems unlikely as well.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So scrolling down that Twitter link where the "fake" comment was left and not being a Twitter user myself, can someone explain what it is I'm looking at? Is that supposed to be an official Katic account?

I'm asking because you can also see posts that appear to be from or involve Nathan Fillion and I'm not sure that makes any sense. By all reports Katic and Fillion had managed to work up a fair amount of hostility toward each other while doing Castle. In fact, if the series had continued another season, Fillion would have been doing it without her. I really doubt they are pen pals on the same account now.

So what gives here? And Stana either had barely a walk on role in The Spirit or most of it could have been cut out. It was more than a year before Castle and she would have been lucky to have Inkworks pay her to sign anything since she was unknown. Even if she doesn't remember the stickers, which you would think would stand out for a young actor, she never came across the cards while checking eBay? Doesn't sound right. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
There was a similar issue with Jeffery Dean Morgan. He said he never signed cards, not realizing the stickers were applied to the cards.

Does seem odd that a "nobody" at the time would have people sign for her.

It's also pretty easy to create a fake Twitter account, easier than faking Inkworks stickers.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was the Jeffrey Dean Morgan thing ever sorted out?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
There was a similar issue with Jeffery Dean Morgan. He said he never signed cards, not realizing the stickers were applied to the cards.

Does seem odd that a "nobody" at the time would have people sign for her.

It's also pretty easy to create a fake Twitter account, easier than faking Inkworks stickers.

Ed

Yeah, OK, I think I've got it now. That original Twitter goes to a an account that belongs to someone else, but the reply is from what is supposed to be her account. So when you click on the Stana Katic with a "blue checkmark" that is where she is saying that a bunch of things are fake autographs. That includes the photo of The Spirit Inkworks card and some uncertified photos and a signed bra. Big Grin

I wouldn't doubt that a lot of signed stuff people got off eBay, including maybe that bra, were fakes in her hey day. She was a hot name when Castle was going good and she refused to sign for the Castle cards when everyone else in the main cast and many guest stars got on board. That she wouldn't contract for a certified card was a major drawback for CZE and the product.

I wonder if she just won't acknowledge the stickers or has truly forgotten about them or if something else is going on?

As for Jeffrey Dean Morgan, I think those were for Topps stickers and the signatures looked exactly like his autograph. The general opinion at the time was that he just couldn't put two and two together and didn't realize that those little bits of stickers he sometimes signed would go on various different cards coming out at different times. However I can't remember seeing anyplace where he actually retracted his original forgery claim.

It's hard enough for card makers to earn collector confidence in their certified autograph cards when they make a mistake now and then. For celebrities to call their "paid" signatures into question and then not follow through and absolutely confirm or retract the authenticity is unfair to the reputations of the card makers in my opinion.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I replied to her post for more details, we'll see if she responds.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Doesn't make much sense unless the error was on her side of the contract. Inkworks never seemed to have an issue cancelling a card that didn't get signed. She has obviously been working on her signature over the years but I still see style similarities with the 2008 card. It's not like she was in hot demand back then. Finding items to compare back then might be a challenge.

Personally I think the sticker format screwed up JDM's natural flow so bad that he didn't recognize his own signature.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Gotta love all of the experts in the comments section. Many of these people don't even know what they are looking at. The ones saying they "KNOW" her autograph have no clue it has changed over time.

Reading many of the blind devotion comments are kind of scary.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Gotta love all of the experts in the comments section. Many of these people don't even know what they are looking at. The ones saying they "KNOW" her autograph have no clue it has changed over time.

Glad I wasn't the only person who saw that. . . It was very . . . odd.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

It used to be called celebrity worship, but with the internet connections they now use a term coined in the 50's, "parasocial interaction". Fans talk to celebrities on websites or over Twitter and think that they really have a friendship or they are in their lives. Sometimes they are really talking to their media assistant, or their hairdresser. Big Grin

It all usually winds up with "Stans", super fans, talking to each other about how great their celebrity is, until they do something they don't like and then they become "haters". Yeah, that stuff is scary and I don't know why most celebrities even agree to having a media presence when this is what comes of it.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Yeah, that stuff is scary and I don't know why most celebrities even agree to having a media presence when this is what comes of it.

The only answer I have is narcissism. Often veiled in some do good cause or rhetoric. I don't care about celebrity causes I just want them to dance. Elephant

I don't see any up side for an established star to be connected to a link that can basically reach the world no matter what or how they are feeling at a given moment. In fact, they used to hire people to protect them from that very thing.