Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    X-Files VHS / DVD cards question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

X-Files VHS / DVD cards question
 Login/Join

Picture of Klepsis
posted
I recently bought a DVD box set of the complete X-Files show (all 9 seasons + the first film) and it came with some collectibles, one of which was 10 oversize trading cards. Of course I immediately went out to e-bay to see what it would take to complete the set. I quickly realized that all of the cards that came with VHS tapes are distinctly different from the ones that came in my DVD box. The faces of the cards contain the same artwork and would be identical to the VHS cards, except for the small X-Files logo in the lower right corner which is missing from the DVD cards. The backs of the cards however are completely different: the VHS cards have quotes from the episodes, while the DVD cards have an episode synopsis.
I contacted Jeff Allender to see if he knew anything about what I thought might be a parallel set done for the DVD boxes and it seemed to be news to him. So I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about the DVD cards. For instance: Are there the same number of cards in the set? (42) And more importantly: Does anyone have any that they would like to part with? Smile
My last search of e-bay still doesn't net anything besides VHS release cards. :(

Klepsis@austin.rr.com

Posts: 44 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: January 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
This is news to me that there are cards in the dvd box set.

The VHS set was 42 cards in America.

There were two sets of VHS cards in the UK, the one has 8 cards and the other has about 14.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
I cannot help you on the complete series box set but I used to buy the feature length episodes on DVD and then later on each individual series on DVD. I only remember cards being in the feature length episodes on DVD (and prior to that the VHS releases). There was also a postcard sized set included with the first feature film on DVD.

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I have something listed in my collection as 'X-Files DVD set'. It has 12 cards plus a merchandise card and envelope. I have no idea why I think this is a complete set but can have a look at it and send scans if this sounds like what you are trying to find info about.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The VHS "set" actually had 43 cards, as there was one in the video tape for the 1998 X-Files Fight the Future movie, that looked similar to the cards in the tapes of the TV episodes

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Klepsis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
I have something listed in my collection as 'X-Files DVD set'. It has 12 cards plus a merchandise card and envelope. I have no idea why I think this is a complete set but can have a look at it and send scans if this sounds like what you are trying to find info about.

Tangent,
This does sound like what I'm trying to pin down. My cards match the listings in Jeff's list for the VHS cards as far as episode names go, which makes my cards numbers 1 thru 6, 8, 9, 11 & 12. Which ones do you have?

Posts: 44 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: January 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Klepsis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

There were two sets of VHS cards in the UK, the one has 8 cards and the other has about 14.

Wolfie,
That's interesting news. Did the UK cards match the US ones in any way? I have noticed that the artwork on the VHS & DVD cards also shows up in the regular season card sets as well, but I haven't yet combed through them to see if that's why we are looking at a set of 42 (or 43 if we count the "Fight the Future" card).
So far it sounds like I should be hunting for a set of at least 42 cards that match the VHS cards as far as face pictures go. Still haven't been able to find any on e-bay, so this may take awhile. Smile

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Klepsis:

Wolfie,
That's interesting news. Did the UK cards match the US ones in any way?

QUOTE]

No the UK cards are totally diffrent. I have spare sets of the UK cards if you are intrested.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Klepsis
posted Hide Post
quote:
No the UK cards are totally diffrent. I have spare sets of the UK cards if you are intrested.

Wolfie,
Well, of course I'm interested. Big Grin But we should maybe take that discussion off line. - I'll send you an e-mail about it shortly.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Klepsis:

Wolfie,
That's interesting news. Did the UK cards match the US ones in any way?

QUOTE]

How many are in an UK set? I kinda gave up since they were kind of hit and miss.

If I remember correctly, the ones in my collection are slightly different. I have some of slightly different size. Might be difference in VHS and DVD releases. And some from other countries have text in other languages.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klepsis:
quote:

Wolfie,
That's interesting news. Did the UK cards match the US ones in any way? I have noticed that the artwork on the VHS & DVD cards also shows up in the regular season card sets as well, but I haven't yet combed through them to see if that's why we are looking at a set of 42 (or 43 if we count the "Fight the Future" card).
So far it sounds like I should be hunting for a set of at least 42 cards that match the VHS cards as far as face pictures go. Still haven't been able to find any on e-bay, so this may take awhile. Smile

Somewhere buried in all my extra X-Files stuff I have some of these cards. Maybe even a whole set. I was a major XF collector back in the day. I have several boxes of extra stuff stored away.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klepsis:
quote:

Tangent,
This does sound like what I'm trying to pin down. My cards match the listings in Jeff's list for the VHS cards as far as episode names go, which makes my cards numbers 1 thru 6, 8, 9, 11 & 12. Which ones do you have?

I haven't heard of these. I bought each season when it came out, so I had no need to buy the complete series. If the cards are not numbered, I'd say you have a complete set. That just my guess. But now, I will probably have to hunt these down. It's been awhile since I've added any cards to my XF collection.

Picture of Klepsis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
Somewhere buried in all my extra X-Files stuff I have some of these cards. Maybe even a whole set. I was a major XF collector back in the day. I have several boxes of extra stuff stored away.

Tattoox,
If you have duplicate VHS cards in your extra X-Files stuff I'd be interested in discussing a possible trade. Send me an e-mail at Klepsis@austin.rr.com and we can talk about it offline.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I have now looked at the DVD cards I have. It is definitely a set of 12. Here is a scan of the front of card 1 and the back of card 2.

Each card is about the size of 2 trading cards. It looks like 2 cards were included in each DVD.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I'm allmost sure those are part of the 42 card USA set.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm allmost sure those are part of the 42 card USA set.

Interesting. I think I assumed they were a set because I have numbers V1 to V12 and no others. However, there's nothing on the cards to say how many actually exist.

Picture of Klepsis
posted Hide Post
Yes, these are definitely from the VHS set which runs to 42 cards. I've managed to acquire the first 30 cards in that set which should be arriving in the mail shortly, so now I'm searching for the last 12 and the remaining DVD cards. If I knew how to display my scans I would show the first DVD card so everyone could see how they differ from the VHS cards. Could someone point me to the instructions for that?

Klepsis@austin.rr.com

Picture of Klepsis
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks to Jeff Allender I think I can show off my cards. Smile Here goes:
The first two images are the front and back of the VHS card #1, the second two are the front and back of the DVD card #1

Well, that seems to work. Clap
You can now see the differences between the two cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Klepsis,

posted Hide Post
quote:

There is also an 8 card set from the Australian DVD & videos . I dont think there is a difference between them . Dam I will have to pull apart my x-files room to find out now. I am missing the last 4 cards from them US set. I have i few spares if anyone wants to trade

Posts: 48 | Location: Australia | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
There is a 4 card DVD set from Korea. I have 3 of the 4.