Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Land of the Giants 3-D 1968 UK - What are the 3-D cards?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Land of the Giants 3-D 1968 UK - What are the 3-D cards?
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
A&BC issued Land of the Giants cards in 1968 in the UK. It is a rare set to find. On the box and wrapper it has 3d? However, upon looking online I cannot find any 3-D cards in the set. Anyone know of an actual 3-D card with the British set issued in 1968? See an example of the card wrapper at http://bit.ly/2vyUJ6o and the box at http://bit.ly/2vxYaub

Posts: 2 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's actually the price : 3d refers to "threepence", not an abbreviation for "three dimensional".
It is roughly equivalent to 1/8 pound sterling.

Posts: 89 | Location: Williamstown, WV 26187 | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
That's actually the price : 3d refers to "threepence", not an abbreviation for "three dimensional".
Close, but it actually represented 1/80th of a pound. There were 240 old pence in one pound sterling Smile

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
Close, but it actually represented 1/80th of a pound. There were 240 old pence in one pound sterling Smile

Those were the days Big Grin . None of this decimalisation malarkey Smile .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I'm not laughing honest, well not now that i have stopped. Big Grin

It is an easy and understandable mistake to make for someone who does not live here.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well we haven't adopted the metric system yet either, although they did try to teach it for awhile, it never took.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I was thinking they intended to issue 3-D cards in the set but made a last minute change and had already printed the boxes and wrappers.

Posts: 2 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I just saw TERMINATOR 2 in 3D and it cost $7.50.
Hope that makes everything even more confusing.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I just saw TERMINATOR 2 in 3D and it cost $7.50.
Hope that makes everything even more confusing.
how about a full breakdown of our old coinage system ?

240p = 1 Pound
12p = 1 Shilling
2 Shillings = 1 Florin
2 Shillings and 6p = Half a Crown
5 Shillings = 1 Crown
20 Shillings = 1 Pound
21 Shillings = 1 Guinea

I seem to remember the Guinea was introduced to make it easier for auction houses to to take their cut/fee...but I could be wrong Big Grin

And to Raven, we only partially adopted the decimal system here in the UK. While we do have decimal coinage, food and stuff has to be sold in grammes and kilogrammes and liquids are sold by the litre, we still measure speeds and distances in miles feet and inches, e.g. 70 mph speed limit on motorways. Quite a lot of things are still labeled up in both systems but fuel is sold by the litre. It was sold with both prices but the government quickly changed this so that price increases could be hidden. Increasing the price of a gallon of fuel by 5p used to cause an uproar but adding 'only' 1p a litre went completely unnoticed Twak

Of course, if you go into a pub to order drinks, you still get pints of beer. Somehow ordering 2/3rd of a litre just doesn't have the same ring to it Big Grin

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post