Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Framing Uncut base sheets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Framing Uncut base sheets
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of G6ADC
posted
Has anybody framed any uncut base sheets before?

Anybody know which type of plastic that could be used so I can see both front and back and is card friendly safe?

Posts: 767 | Location: Coventry, UK | Registered: July 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G6ADC:
Has anybody framed any uncut base sheets before?

Anybody know which type of plastic that could be used so I can see both front and back and is card friendly safe?

Not an uncut base sheet, but I got the Star Trek ships plaques framed where you can see both sides. They have frames where they can substitute the backing board with glass at Michaels.

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not going to look as nice as a frame, but my LCS owner hangs some uncut sheets on the wall using large poster toploaders.

Posts: 33 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: May 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I have some framed. There's a couple of things you should talk to the framer about. Perspex is lighter and you can also consider UV proof materials. These options are more expensive though.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of G6ADC
posted Hide Post
Where can I get a poster toploader from?

Are they UV, archive safe?

Posts: 767 | Location: Coventry, UK | Registered: July 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
UltraPro makes the really big toploaders in all sizes. The biggest one I have holds an uncut sheet of Corvette widevision cards. They are made from the same materials as the card size toploaders. I have had my uncut sheets in the same toploaders for over 20 years and there is no sign of discoloration on the sheet from the plastic. I bought my toploaders at the Philly show but I am sure you can get them on line. Shipping though will jack up the price quite a bit.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of G6ADC
posted Hide Post
Is anyone selling these in the UK?

Or

Shipping worldwide?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of G6ADC
posted Hide Post
Look at some prices and they charge $40 Eek for shipping

posted Hide Post
I'll be honest, I'm pretty clueless as to whether or not this is a viable option in the UK, but you could try contacting a local comic book store if your LCS can't get them. Ultra Pro makes a lot of things outside of the sports card area (MTG related, comic book protectors, etc.)- and some might have them or at least a distributor in the area.

Posts: 33 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: May 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
g6adc
what is the size ? the last show in london i went to they had poster toploaders there £4.95 each could be what your after lmk the size next time im there i will check for you john

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G6ADC:
Look at some prices and they charge $40 Eek for shipping

That's why I never offered... I can buy the larger toploads, even stock a few.

But due to the size these have to ship rolled, and not too tight or they break. So the package is big and a tad heavy with the weight of the plastic and the cardboard. $40 isn't far off.

I don't know what custom framing costs in the UK, but the topload probably isn't the cheap solution if you have to have one shipped in.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Most mass merchants sell cheap poster sized frames, but these aren't going to be UV resistant/acid free. . . If you really want something that is going to be UV resistant/acid free it's going to be expensive in that size. I'm not sure any typical card products are rated for UV protection -- I could be wrong though.

Good luck!

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Most mass merchants sell cheap poster sized frames, but these aren't going to be UV resistant/acid free. . . If you really want something that is going to be UV resistant/acid free it's going to be expensive in that size. I'm not sure any typical card products are rated for UV protection -- I could be wrong though.

Good luck!

Jon

This is why I would recommend glass from a framing shop.

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of G6ADC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john the hat:
g6adc
what is the size ? the last show in london i went to they had poster toploaders there £4.95 each could be what your after lmk the size next time im there i will check for you john

Might be going to memorabilia in March so I will have a look there, but I dont remember seeing some last time.

john the hat - The size I'm looking for at the momment is 20" x 24" so the nearest size would be 24x36, see if they have a website or better still see if they will attend memorabilia
Thanks

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
i know they will be at nec, its paul who sells the comic folder holders

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Something archival safe would obviously be preferable, but I would advise against paying extra for any sort of UV protection as visible light (as opposed to direct sunlight) can also do serious damage over the long term.

"Fadind: the facts"
http://www.allposterforum.com/...hp/topic,1955.0.html

Get something cheap and don't stick it in front of a window!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post