Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Framing Uncut base sheets

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/9777034995

February 27, 2011, 02:57 PM
G6ADC
Framing Uncut base sheets
Has anybody framed any uncut base sheets before?

Anybody know which type of plastic that could be used so I can see both front and back and is card friendly safe?
February 27, 2011, 04:37 PM
Nicnac
quote:
Originally posted by G6ADC:
Has anybody framed any uncut base sheets before?

Anybody know which type of plastic that could be used so I can see both front and back and is card friendly safe?

Not an uncut base sheet, but I got the Star Trek ships plaques framed where you can see both sides. They have frames where they can substitute the backing board with glass at Michaels.
February 27, 2011, 08:33 PM
The Real Matt
It's not going to look as nice as a frame, but my LCS owner hangs some uncut sheets on the wall using large poster toploaders.

February 28, 2011, 05:46 AM
tangent
I have some framed. There's a couple of things you should talk to the framer about. Perspex is lighter and you can also consider UV proof materials. These options are more expensive though.
February 28, 2011, 06:16 AM
G6ADC
Where can I get a poster toploader from?

Are they UV, archive safe?
February 28, 2011, 07:07 AM
beamer
UltraPro makes the really big toploaders in all sizes. The biggest one I have holds an uncut sheet of Corvette widevision cards. They are made from the same materials as the card size toploaders. I have had my uncut sheets in the same toploaders for over 20 years and there is no sign of discoloration on the sheet from the plastic. I bought my toploaders at the Philly show but I am sure you can get them on line. Shipping though will jack up the price quite a bit.
February 28, 2011, 11:10 AM
G6ADC
Is anyone selling these in the UK?

Or

Shipping worldwide?
February 28, 2011, 04:46 PM
beamer
Try this link.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pr...cialty/dp/B002BUDL44

Or this one:

http://www.bestsportsphotos.co...38394&cat=705&page=2
March 01, 2011, 01:34 PM
G6ADC
Look at some prices and they charge $40 Eek for shipping
March 01, 2011, 03:10 PM
The Real Matt
I'll be honest, I'm pretty clueless as to whether or not this is a viable option in the UK, but you could try contacting a local comic book store if your LCS can't get them. Ultra Pro makes a lot of things outside of the sports card area (MTG related, comic book protectors, etc.)- and some might have them or at least a distributor in the area.

March 01, 2011, 03:24 PM
john the hat
g6adc
what is the size ? the last show in london i went to they had poster toploaders there £4.95 each could be what your after lmk the size next time im there i will check for you john

March 02, 2011, 12:44 AM
Scifi Cards
quote:
Originally posted by G6ADC:
Look at some prices and they charge $40 Eek for shipping

That's why I never offered... I can buy the larger toploads, even stock a few.

But due to the size these have to ship rolled, and not too tight or they break. So the package is big and a tad heavy with the weight of the plastic and the cardboard. $40 isn't far off.

I don't know what custom framing costs in the UK, but the topload probably isn't the cheap solution if you have to have one shipped in.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

March 02, 2011, 01:14 AM
webjon
Most mass merchants sell cheap poster sized frames, but these aren't going to be UV resistant/acid free. . . If you really want something that is going to be UV resistant/acid free it's going to be expensive in that size. I'm not sure any typical card products are rated for UV protection -- I could be wrong though.

Good luck!

Jon
March 02, 2011, 01:13 PM
Nicnac
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Most mass merchants sell cheap poster sized frames, but these aren't going to be UV resistant/acid free. . . If you really want something that is going to be UV resistant/acid free it's going to be expensive in that size. I'm not sure any typical card products are rated for UV protection -- I could be wrong though.

Good luck!

Jon

This is why I would recommend glass from a framing shop.
March 02, 2011, 02:26 PM
G6ADC
quote:
Originally posted by john the hat:
g6adc
what is the size ? the last show in london i went to they had poster toploaders there £4.95 each could be what your after lmk the size next time im there i will check for you john

Might be going to memorabilia in March so I will have a look there, but I dont remember seeing some last time.

john the hat - The size I'm looking for at the momment is 20" x 24" so the nearest size would be 24x36, see if they have a website or better still see if they will attend memorabilia
Thanks
March 02, 2011, 03:13 PM
john the hat
i know they will be at nec, its paul who sells the comic folder holders

March 03, 2011, 09:29 AM
X
Something archival safe would obviously be preferable, but I would advise against paying extra for any sort of UV protection as visible light (as opposed to direct sunlight) can also do serious damage over the long term.

"Fadind: the facts"
http://www.allposterforum.com/...hp/topic,1955.0.html

Get something cheap and don't stick it in front of a window!