Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    A discussion list of non sports firsts.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A discussion list of non sports firsts.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

And in the end no one will agree on anything anyway. Big Grin

I disagree with that. Big Grin

Hahaha! The intent of this thread was when an idea was first used in a traditional card release (boxes/packs) and not so much promotional items. As in when did a card manufacturer think it was a good idea to implement something a little different to get our attention.

As Bill had mentioned, I recall lenticular cards in cereal boxes as a kid but the idea was to sell cereal and not cards (or maybe a bit of both). Still, it is also very cool to hear about when an idea was first used. I had almost completely forgot about Cracker Jacks.

As to the question of what a "chase" card is....I don't believe I heard the term until the early 90's. By design it was a special card randomly inserted that made you buy more packs of cards. One that comes to mind was the Hologram card in the Impel Star Trek release. One per pack items like stickers back in the 70's/80's would be considered more as a sub-set in my opinion. If a chase card were one per pack it wouldn't be much of a chase.

I know the terminology can get a little sticky on this one but I would actually consider the FPG artist autograph cards inserted 1 per 50 to 94 boxes a chase card as compared to how most autograph cards are distributed today. Maybe distribution is the key to the definition? Thoughts?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I remembered the Action Pack football cards and King Kong was sort of in my head when I brought up embossed.

So as of right now we have

92 Chris Achilleos
92 AP Birds
92 Of the 93 Indian.(Limited edition release of only 240,000 sets) Smokin'

The Indian card claims to be embossed AND foil. If anyone has link to an image of this card I would like to see it.

Although it doesn't really fit my definition I did find a 91 set called Space Shots Moon Mars Embossed Cards. Sold as a 36 card set. Possibly a NASA developed product to attract all those crazy 90's card collectors to the NASA Space Store located on your way out from the exhibit. Can still buy them by the case.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I thought of the Indian Motorcycles Series 1 embossed "1993 Indian Chief GBA" card (also from 1992) that was a random insert in the pack that contained the whole base set. There was a promo version of the card as well.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I remember King Kong (Eclipse) had an embossed E1 card as a chase card in 1993.

Embossed cards go much further back than that. See Kimball N182 Ancient Coins or T25 Actors. Of course, these aren't "licensed sets sealed in packs". For that, you need to jump to 1992 Chris Achilleos parallel foil embossed sets, and the 1992 Action Packed Birds of Roger Tory Peterson.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

1963 Abby "Monster Magic Action" cards came with a lenticular lens you held against the cards, and when you moved the lens, the image in the card became animated.

Wow! You can still find these in sealed packages for about $20. Wonder how well the lenses worked on other cards?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just by chance when I was looking through Todd's non sport encyclopedia I came across the entry for Space Shots Series Two which mentions an embossed card with a copyright date of 1991.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
John, I believe all of series 1 were embossed. You can get some good visual pics of them on Ebay. Plenty of em still out there.

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Just by chance when I was looking through Todd's non sport encyclopedia I came across the entry for Space Shots Series Two which mentions an embossed card with a copyright date of 1991.

regards

John

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks mykdude.

Its not a set I was interested in. I was just pointing out the entry although looking on Allender's listing embossed cards do not appear to be mentioned.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
No, I didn't believe you were. I think I use ebay more just to get a visual of stuff more than to actually purchase something.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The cards in the 36-card SpaceShots Moon Mars set (1991) are embossed. Even the extra order card and the box itself are embossed. I looked for this set last week but just found it while looking for something else. Cool cards. I knew I had a set somewhere.

The cards in a separate 5-card Moon Mars promo proof set given out in 1991 were also embossed.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
John, I believe all of series 1 were embossed. You can get some good visual pics of them on Ebay. Plenty of em still out there.

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:

regards

John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
The 5 card set, which came in its own special packaging, was supposed to be released at the JFK space Center during the dedication of the Astronaut Memorial in 1991. presumably, 1,000 sets were issued but based on my observations and research, way less either exist or were distributed. In fact, other than the one I listed for sale you know where several years ago, I have only seen 2 others in the last 30 years!

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

Yes, that is a cool set which came in its own silver foil box. I got one about 20 years ago and hung onto it. I've seen it for sale maybe 3 times since. Space race stuff doesn't have the same widespread appeal it used to have, though. The regular factory sets are super-cheap. They originally retailed for at least $30 each but you can get one for less than $5 now.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
The 5 card set, which came in its own special packaging, was supposed to be released at the JFK space Center during the dedication of the Astronaut Memorial in 1991. presumably, 1,000 sets were issued but based on my observations and research, way less either exist or were distributed. In fact, other than the one I listed for sale you know where several years ago, I have only seen 2 others in the last 30 years!

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I stopped at an estate sale on my way back from a grocery shopping trip today. The owners of the house had an interesting array of collectibles including old cameras, books, Christmas ornaments, and small containers. While walking in, I immediately spotted an open box of 80's baseball packs, a stack of football singles with some Proline Portraits cards mixed in, and a few factory sets of the SpaceShots Moon Mars set. Crazy coincidence.

Anyway, it was great just going to an estate sale and seeing stuff. I bought my Mom a couple of the ornaments. They looked old. I have noticed over the past couple of years that new ornaments have decreased in quality (not very ornate and made of plastic) while they have increased in price (junkiest ones are $15). I'm just buying old ones from now on.

Jess