Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.....and when I die
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
I've been on this forum forever in various guises (I keep forgetting my login and password) and I just know that we've had this discussion before but I'm damned if I can find it anywhere so I'll start the thread again.

I have this ginormous card collection and nobody to leave it to. I'd like my wife to have the financial benefit of it when I die but how do I dispose of it?? I cannot begin to imagine that there is anyone in NZ wanting to buy a 1000 completed sets of cards and freight to anywhere else in the world would require a LCL (loose container load) which would significantly add to the cost of purchase.
Two questions:
1. How will my wife dispose of these cards when I'm gone and
2. How will you dispose of your cards should you, to quote (and paraphrase John Cleese)'E's passed on! This card collector is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e
rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed is feet to the floor 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, rung down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-COLLECTOR!

PS By the way, why was there no Fawlty Towers card set???

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
auction it off for charity

Posts: 62 | Location: australia | Registered: May 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
The only guarenteed way of getting around this problem before you pop your clogs is to sell them now. Put the cash in a trust, not to be opened until the lock on the pearly gates has been opened!

There was a Fawlty Towers set, but it got destroyed under the blamange during Gourmet Night Big Grin

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Actually there is a Fawlty Towers Caricature set but i think it is unofficial, i see it at our shows sometimes.

as for the cards you need something like this and give it to your lawyer.

I ....... being of sound mind bequeth upon my death my entire card collection to Mr Wolfie, c/o the cave, England.

Simples Wink

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
I just knew someone would was going to say "leave it all to me" and further more, I just knew that someone was going to be Wolfie!!

Anyway, next time you see that MPFC set can you please pick it up for me? I will even pay you a commission over and above the price (77np should cover it) Thanks wolfie. By the way, letmethinkaboutyourproposaltoleavemycardstoyouI'vethoughtaboutitNo!!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
I have completely enjoyed my collecting days but I have found it is time to unload everything. I have recently moved and it was horrendous making sure my collection was safe.

Now I am selling it all and spending the money on good times now.

To show what can happen in the future:
My close friend passed away, not having any immediately family, her extended family sold everything in one lump sum. It was worth over $20,000 when sold over time and I think the family sold it over $500.

What you think can't or won't sell, donate to charity.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well you either start selling it.. or just don't worry about it and carry on enjoying your collection now.. as long as it makes you happy!!

Besides.. you'll be dead and past caring..

or.. better idea.. maybe you could get buried with it.. or cremated.. would sure make a nice bonfire..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I have made arrangements to take all my stuff with me when I die.

For details on this incredible situation send $1.00 to Ripuoff Enterprises, PO Box 666, Infernal Revenue Street, Washington DC.

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You know this is a problem that many people have with their possessions. We are card collectors, so that's what we have, but it could just as well be about glass frogs, paintings, dish sets, stamps, coins, whatever. Nobody loves our stuff like we do and nobody thinks it's worth very much to them. Wink

Its great if you have a good friend, or a family member who appreciates your passion and will take care of it and enjoy it. Too often that is not the case, as I myself have purchased many items that I know came from other people's treasured collections after they passed. In particular, a long time ago I picked up some Hockey annuals with all the team players that were about half signed by the various players. Someone spent enormous time and effort getting those signatures and I found the books discarded in a store basement. Shake Head

The only thing I can say is to tell someone what you have, what it might be worth and put it into a will. Dispose of it as you wish while you are alive if that helps. If you know someone will enjoy it, give it to them. I like to think that my unknown collector would be happy that his autographs wound up with someone that appreciated them. Donating to charity is a good idea, but charities want cash not things.

Oh yes, the best option is never die. Big Grin

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe when you get to heaven you will be reunited with all the cards you had and your mom threw away.

Posts: 163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, enjoy them now and let the wife worry about them later. A friend of mine died leavinf his wife with a huge Star Wars collection. She sold everything over the next year and had $75,000. Plus it gave her something to do.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post