Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy Grail Card(s)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
QUOTE FROM NEMESISBOY
My holy grails are:-

X Files San Diego 1999 Fan Club Cards with the scratch off area
---------------------

I do not have these, myself, and I never saw them before. But in the past few days I noticed 3 of the 4 from the set on ebay, and 2 of them are UN scratched.

However, 2 of them have asking prices of $75 dollars each !

Did those come separate or in a glassine package?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes I have been a bit sick latley and have been searching and reading old posts on this forum I have seen these one of them from a forum member a used one at $28 wich looks good but the other two were mint and at the price that you say as these are the first cards that i have seen of this set i was thinking about them but then i will still have one to get earlier posts on these cards seem to intimate that they were strewn all about the venue floor i thank that they were given one to each door entrant or ticket purchaser if they were issued as a packaged set i am sure that they would be a lot more available to collectors and a lot easier to get if a set dose come up i would be all over it as the pictures shown of the cards look very nice but i am sure that they were never issued as sealed sets

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
With regard to the X-Files scratch offs from 1999, I was told that folks were given 1 of the 4 cards per bag by the Fan Club, and that most people promptly scratched them off to see if they won a prize, and discarded them. That's why you don't see many (if any) unscratched cards. I don't even have these

Note that these are not be to confused with the similar 4 card X-Files set from the same San Diego show, also by the Fan Club. (Non scratch off cards, with different images) Those 4 cards are quite easy to find, and you can see them all over. Probably worth $ 1 each.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Same here, I have the non-scratch off cards and don't have the scratch and sniff ones.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I compare these cards' story to the Lion King one, when most of them ended up as litter on the venue's floor where they were distributed but for different reasons in each situation.

Sadly, I don't believe many X-Files cards made it out unscratched from the 1999 SDCC. X-Files was at the height of its popularity at the time and most attendees feverishly scratched away in the hope of finding the hidden motherlode. What they didn't know was that the coveted prize was a paltry $5.00 discount on membership to the fan club.

It took me 18 years to collect, one by one, all 4 of these X-Files unscratched cards and I paid a handsome price for each. At this time, I consider these to be rare.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was at that SDCC in 1999. You received one of these in your attendee bag with the souvenir program and a pamphlet and maybe a comic book when you got your ticket. I kept mine unscratched and had maybe three extra by the end of the show. I traded a couple of them and sold the set I had later. There were scratched cards on the floor. I should have picked some up. They have to be among the rarest X-Files promos now.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
With regard to the X-Files scratch offs from 1999, I was told that folks were given 1 of the 4 cards per bag by the Fan Club, and that most people promptly scratched them off to see if they won a prize, and discarded them. That's why you don't see many (if any) unscratched cards. I don't even have these

Note that these are not be to confused with the similar 4 card X-Files set from the same San Diego show, also by the Fan Club. (Non scratch off cards, with different images) Those 4 cards are quite easy to find, and you can see them all over. Probably worth $ 1 each.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Does it not say 3000 were made right there on the back of the coin?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the rare X-Files 1999 scratch offs, there were 4 on ebay on May, 1 of Skinner and 3 of Scully, and they each sold for a mere $ 15 each

And they were not used--NOT scratched off

Wow ! I wish that I had seen those

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes ME TOO
Dont know how I missed them as they are on my watch list

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They were listed as "X-Files 1999 SDCC Fan Club cards"

See below. All sold.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm...&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ok thats why I missed them I have the Fan Club ones and a have them on my watch list listed as Scratch off Cards,
Just goes to show how the wrong description can cost you money

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Yes and he had to reduce the price in order to get anybody to buy them.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Even though I've just about quit, even I would have bought those!

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:

How much do they usually sell for?

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure, but more than was asked. They would have just about completed that set for me.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Two on the Bay now Skinner $115 or offer
Scully $176 or offer.The lowest I have seen over time is approx $60. But I am sure that if we had all seen them they possibly would of gone for a lot more that they did. Looking at the listings the seller had sold other ones for higher ammounts over the previous few weeks.
So dont really know what was going on.
All I know now is that we missed them

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A couple of months ago, a Scully sold for about $30 and a pair (Scully and Mulder?) went for $40 total so I would say $15-30 might be the going-rate these days though a better-worded description might attract more bidders. These cards had been very hard-to-find but it appears a couple of collections have been broken up as I've seen some other oddball stuff surfacing on the "bay."

I guess the question is how many of us would spring for one at a BIN of $40-50. Maybe it's a matter of most longtime X-Files collectors either having them already or having other priorities. They'll pick up a bargain at $15 but pass at double that.

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:

How much do they usually sell for?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
An X-Files Skinner scratch off just showed up on ebay and sold for $ 15.99

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This thread seems to have fallen by the wayside for a while. Don't know why, we all have cards that we can't find or just seem to be waiting for the right time.

This is not a Holy Grail of mine in the sense that some version of it wasn't available, just not for a good price, or too much trouble to buy, or not in the right time or mood to pick it up. But I just walked into it today, right there on the counter, so now I can check it off my list and it feels good.

Alex Kingston - Dr. Who 2017 Signature Series- Purple - 04/10. Cross it off, its found a home. Smile

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It has been a thread that we go back to from time to time - sometimes a couple of months later, sometimes a couple of years later. At each jump to the top it gets new attention for a while. It slips off the front because many of us are still looking for the same card(s) mentioned before. We might not have anything new to say here for a while but we know it's no more than a few pages away.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
This thread seems to have fallen by the wayside for a while. Don't know why, we all have cards that we can't find or just seem to be waiting for the right time.

This is not a Holy Grail of mine in the sense that some version of it wasn't available, just not for a good price, or too much trouble to buy, or not in the right time or mood to pick it up. But I just walked into it today, right there on the counter, so now I can check it off my list and it feels good.

Alex Kingston - Dr. Who 2017 Signature Series- Purple - 04/10. Cross it off, its found a home. Smile