Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy Grail Card(s)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Welcome to Card Talk, Mr. Tonyz.

Why thank you! I posted a similar message in the other chat seeing as it was for rare promos lol.

I actually registered here in 2013, as i went to sign up i found that the username was already taken, so i tried to log back in & poof, it worked. It was taken by me :P

I was most probably searching for Mortal Kombat cards back then, but who knows Big Grin

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
Welcome (back) Mr Tonyz, nice to have you join us where in Oz are you.? Thumb Up

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardscout182:
Welcome (back) Mr Tonyz, nice to have you join us where in Oz are you.? Thumb Up

The boring part. Perth Western Australia Big Grin

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is an unscratched Scully card from the 1999 SDCC up for auction now for $ 80.00

After all of these years, I still have never seen the Cigarette Smoking Man as a single scratch off card

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Jess can you please lift the image of the X Files sheet and post it before ebay takes it down ? Thanks

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Someone now has the 1999 SDCC X-Files sheet up for auction for a mere $ 1200

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
G'day Mr Tonyz, welcome to Card Talk, where in Oz are you ? Thumb Up

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
just answered my own question haha

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardscout182:
just answered my own question haha

so, Tonyz, please tell us about your collection, got any good finds lately ?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A set of the four 1999 X-Files scratch off cards from the San Diego Comic Con sold on ebay for $600.00

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
A set of the four 1999 X-Files scratch off cards from the San Diego Comic Con sold on ebay for $600.00

The main attraction to this auction is that the 4 cards were unscratched. For those that don't know or never cared, it was a contest and you had to scratch the card to see if you won.

Not sure right now what the original prize was, but obviously nearly all of these cards were losers. Also don't know how many were produced, but I think the only reason why you would have unscratched copies is that the contest was long over when someone found these.

I guess someone might call them Holy Grails, but I never understood why anyone needs a card meant only for a prize that is no longer available. Like the unredeemed redemption card that is no longer able to be redeemed, who cares? Big Grin

Well I get that a lot of card collectors still seem to want expired redemptions, especially ones never processed, it's just not something that has ever resonated with me. With so many great cards to buy, why spend money on obscure cards that the majority of people would just throw away if they saw them?

Because that's what card experts who fancy themselves card experts think they should do, is the only answer I ever figured out. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's the first time I've ever seen the Cigarette Smoking Man as a single card, scratched or unscratched.

As noted on the page before this one, in 2021 an uncut sheet of 24 of the cards surfaced on ebay and sold for around $ 100. About a year later, another sheet came up for sale. Both sheets were numbered to 100.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Over the years, could someone have professionally cut-up a sheet or two? I never liked it when sheets were known to be kicking around, but that's how cards were printed back then.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hopefully not !

There was some discussion in the promo section about the mostly forgotten Comics Greatest World set by Topps, back in 1994.

The base set was 100 cards, and cards 101-109 supposedly came 1 per cello pack given away at the SDCC that year. However, all these years later, no one has come across all 9 cards as singles. In fact, I think David R said he's only seen 3 or 4 different ones

However, sheets of all 9 have shown up on ebay from time to time. Just not singles

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those X-Files cards were given out in the souvenir bag when you bought your ticket at SDCC that year (one card per bag). There were scratched tickets all over the floor. I could see that none of the four were rare. It is weird that the Cigarette Smoking Man card is the one that is hardly ever seen these days.

I think one of the prizes was a subscription to a magazine or something like that.

There were scratch-off cards in Hero Magazien years before and card collectors kept those unscratched so there was a precedent for keeping them in the condition they were issued. Of course, the main draw is that they are oddball X-Files cards and that show still has a strong following so they remain in-demand.

Twenty years ago, they were selling for about $30-35 each.

quote:
That's the first time I've ever seen the Cigarette Smoking Man as a single card, scratched or unscratched.

As noted on the page before this one, in 2021 an uncut sheet of 24 of the cards surfaced on ebay and sold for around $ 100. About a year later, another sheet came up for sale. Both sheets were numbered to 100.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those Comics Greatest World 101-109 cards were definitely inserted one per pack. I had an unopened pack for years before deciding to open it. I bought the only one I ever saw for sale back around 1999-2000 - got just because I didn't have one. I sold some cards and packs a few years later but I kept that one.

I have one of those uncut sheets and I'm not planning to cut it up.

quote:
Hopefully not !

There was some discussion in the promo section about the mostly forgotten Comics Greatest World set by Topps, back in 1994.

The base set was 100 cards, and cards 101-109 supposedly came 1 per cello pack given away at the SDCC that year. However, all these years later, no one has come across all 9 cards as singles. In fact, I think David R said he's only seen 3 or 4 different ones

However, sheets of all 9 have shown up on ebay from time to time. Just not singles

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

I have one of those uncut sheets and I'm not planning to cut it up.
[/QUOTE]

Why not? If it's done professionally and no one can tell, are they not the same cards? Surely, you're not going to be ethical about it? Big Grin

I'm joking, but it is also true. Trimmed cards have gotten slabbed and graded. Homemade autograph cards without licenses or authentication are openly sold. No one except Disney is protecting their copyrights. It's the Wild, Wild West out there. Cutting up official sheets for rare single cards is wrong, but it's not the worst offense happening and, if you do it right, it might be undetectable.

I'm not advocating it; I'm just saying that the standards of acceptable conduct in this hobby are shot to hell and the principled collectors are at a disadvantage.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's not necessarily the ethics of it. I like having cards as they were issued even if they're a little beat-up particularly in those cases where they've been rarely-seen. I know some collectors want to have the singles in the pages with the rest of the set so they will cut up an uncut sheet to get them.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My holy grail card is not actually a card but a set of cards
Inkworks Alien Legacy K Mart set A1 A9
I do not know if this set was issued in a cello pack or as loose cards.
Have never seen a set or card offered on E Bay it might not of been issued .
But have seen it listed.
Any info would be gratefully received
Piko

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Aliens set came in a pack in a VHS tape, I believe.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Tommyc
I have that pack it is the K Mart pack i am after
Thanks

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post