Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy Grail Card(s)
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hey Jess,

I think my idea of a Holy Grail is scaled down from yours. To me its not a card you will never obtain because of price or scarcity, its just something you're chasing over a period of time for one reason or the other. Every 1/1 could be someone's Holy Grail, but that would be very unsatisfactory for a collector, so I prefer to always have something reachable to go for and not even bother with what I will never be able to get. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
A card I am chasing is a Marvel 80th Anniversary sketch of Hellstorm to finish a set of the different character sketches. The set was released on epacks and has sold out. One collector who collected Hellstorm managed to collect most of the sketches and the rest are in other peoples sets. I have offered big trades for one but still lost out. The sets sold out and the sketches have dried up so it looks like it's going on my holy grail list of something I might never be able to get. I will just have to hope if one comes up I can get it.

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Raven,

To me a holy grail is not an impossible dream. It's just seldom-seen, and sometimes, when you do see it, you get outbid or it's as a completed auction listing a week later. It was the pass that went off your fingertips.

Similar to what you're saying, sometimes I take some time to look for cards or I just see what's out there. Occasionally, I find something I wasn't looking for but it's an oddball card, and if I haven't seen it in a while and underpriced relative to the market, it's tough to pass up. A nice pick-up like that lets you forget about the grail for a while.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Hey Jess,

I think my idea of a Holy Grail is scaled down from yours. To me its not a card you will never obtain because of price or scarcity, its just something you're chasing over a period of time for one reason or the other. Every 1/1 could be someone's Holy Grail, but that would be very unsatisfactory for a collector, so I prefer to always have something reachable to go for and not even bother with what I will never be able to get. Wink

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I see there is an Emilia Clarke graded Game of Thrones Season Two autograph on E-Bay for a paltry $75,000.

If my Rolls Royce Silver Ghost wasn't in the shop for a lube job I might be tempted to pick it up.

I say, by the way, chaps, what does it cost nowadays to have an autographed card graded, and does one, er, uhm, have to 'grease the wheels', if you know what I mean, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, to obtain a nice, plum high rating?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well if it were a 10/10, I'd consider it, but it's only a 9.5/10. So I can do better. Big Grin

Yeah, there is so much room for abuse in this hobby that you almost can't blame people when they take advantage of the opportunities brought on by the sheer stupidity.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm keeping an eye out for an autographed Andrea Dromm card. She played Yeoman Smith in the Star Trek episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

She's only signed twice. Her only individual auto is in Rittenhouses's Star Trek: The Original Series 40th Anniversary Series 2 from 2008. This is the card I want.

She also signed a dual card with Gary Lockwood for Rittenhouse's Star Trek: The Remastered Original Series Trading Cards from 2011.

One other card I'd like for my collection is the Skybox Star Trek: The Next Generation QVC promo card from 1994. Two are on eBay at the moment but I can't justify $130 for a promo card.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Johnson,

Posts: 62 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:

One other card I'd like for my collection is the Skybox Star Trek: The Next Generation QVC promo card from 1994. Two are on eBay at the moment .

Bob,
I have this card and $130 is way too much for it. My email is listed in my profile if you want to reach out.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Johnson:
One other card I'd like for my collection is the Skybox Star Trek: The Next Generation QVC promo card from 1994. Two are on eBay at the moment but I can't justify $130 for a promo card.

I was seriously looking for this promo at the start of 2017, and like you had seen it at stupid prices for many years prior. A couple of months later another member of this forum reached out to me as they had found an eBay BIN for this card for $17 or thereabouts. I hadn't seen the listing so was very grateful for the heads up.

They do come up for more reasonable money but a bit of patience is required.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I guess affordable multi-patch relics of Black Widow from Civil War and John Buscema Silver Surfer Sketchagraphs are now on my list Eek

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
I guess affordable multi-patch relics of Black Widow from Civil War and John Buscema Silver Surfer Sketchagraphs are now on my list Eek

Yeah Black Widow relics have jumped, but the ones I see are pretty ordinary looking swatches to me. Just the new movie hype I guess.

Now I really regret not going after those Silver Age Sketchagraphs back when I had the chance, but by that time I was long past comics and didn't pay attention to them. I only picked up one some place and what do you know, it was the Buscema Silver Surfer. For quite awhile after I packed it away I thought it was The Phantom. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
This thread needs a new picture.
I was searching through my binders for something else when I came across this page:

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Nice looking cards and tough to find.

With all this nonsense about 1990s Marvel base cards that were produced in a 777,000 print run, these are the kind of Marvel cards worth buying. I'm not saying that I like the whole manufactured rarity thing, but the basis for all collectibles is that supply is lower than demand. I just object when it seems like card makers want to print money instead of cards. Big Grin

I pulled the Dennings and a Hemsworth and bought the Renner. Wanted the Elba, Alexander and Smulders, but not enough to get one. Might revisit those some day.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I pulled bills out of my wallet for all of those. They were a lot better bargains back then!

They only high end THOR card I pulled from a pack was the Chris Hemsworth autographed costume card from The Dark World. That was a thrill.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These were not pack inserted chase cards, but no one seems to know where they were distributed.

A fellow posted on them here on Card Talk 2-3 years ago, and said he found them on ebay for a few bucks

On the Topps "Indiana Jones" set for the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull movie, the cello pack of 5 foil cards numbered, I believe, F1 to 5.

These were not the same as the Foil cards inserted in the Target and Wal-Mart packs

Someone said they were released through Dark Horse Comics, but were not a product insert...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Marvel Masterpieces 1996 unopened pack:

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Marvel Masterpieces 1996 unopened pack:

Hope the card that won the Original Masterpieces Painting wasn't in there. Wink

On second thought maybe the unredeemed redemption card would be worth more to some people than the painting. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I'll never know!

Iron Man 2 IMC-12 card, and I weep to say there are two flaws on it!!!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
What are the flaws? Some of those grading deductions I wouldn't even count as anything.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Two scratches as if a piece of paper was on top and a sharp object was drawn across it. They must have been there when I bought it but it's been so long since I looked at it that I forgot about them. One is just a dot but the other is maybe half an inch long. They don't pierce the color but they are dents.

And I thought that armor was invincible!