Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy Grail Card(s)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Here is my latest addition:

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
First, I haven't seen a local card show in years.

Second, what kind of dealer puts autograph cards and unsigned, unreleased cards in a $1 box?

Third, what kind of dealer sells autograph cards and unsigned, unreleased cards for 50 cents?

I really wish I lived in a place like this. Big Grin

:cough: I did once. I received a supply of cards on consignment years and years ago..Skybox era. One of the buyers contacted me and said she'd checked and rechecked the checklist and she just couldn't find this card I'd sold her for $5 anywhereeee. Turned out to be an unlreleased action figure card. No clue how the guy got it. I scanned it and didn't notice, none of the bidders on my old auctionne site noticed it either. (The card was released in a widevision format, so the name and general image of the card was familiar...it just went right past all of us. Lucky bidder Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
First, I haven't seen a local card show in years.

Second, what kind of dealer puts autograph cards and unsigned, unreleased cards in a $1 box?

Third, what kind of dealer sells autograph cards and unsigned, unreleased cards for 50 cents?

I really wish I lived in a place like this. Big Grin

:cough: I did once. I received a supply of cards on consignment years and years ago..Skybox era. One of the buyers contacted me and said she'd checked and rechecked the checklist and she just couldn't find this card I'd sold her for $5 anywhereeee. Turned out to be an unlreleased action figure card. No clue how the guy got it. I scanned it and didn't notice, none of the bidders on my old auctionne site noticed it either. (The card was released in a widevision format, so the name and general image of the card was familiar...it just went right past all of us. Lucky bidder Wink

Oh sure, sometimes mistakes happen, especially with oddball cards that are not easily recognized. As a buyer it's awesome when you pick up something rare for a dirt cheap price, but I guess the dealer could kick himself if he ever finds out. Big Grin

You know I'm a sucker for sarcasm, so if someone says they got a big hit out of the bargain bin, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. Alas there is no such place, as the joke went over my head, but now there is no doubt. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
First off, that's a great Gandalf card. In hindsight I wish I had pursued the Lord of the Rings cards, but I just can't do everything, although I wish I could.

Secondly, I'm always kidding around, which could be looked at as a fault in my character, and I apologize for it. I have rarely found an expensive item for a very cheap price, and I guess I was also wishing something like this would happen to me.

And now, all seriousness aside (a line I stole from the late great Steve Allen), here's another set of my personal grails I recently purchased (and they weren't cheap!):

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of estephano
posted Hide Post
Same happened to an well known autograph dealer two years ago. His staff who catalogized the items had put a signed christmas card of His Royal Highness the King of Spain and his wife up for auction and filed it under the name 'Feliz Navidad'. Needless to say that this rare premium item is higly valuable among autograph collectors, but it went for like $15 because of the wrong title. These things happen from time to time...

Posts: 101 | Location: Stuttgart (Germany) | Registered: January 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Not the same, but it still would have been a great deal. When the first Buffy set came out I was relatively new to card collecting. A dealer had all 4 autographs on display, and I think three were priced at $35, and the Hannigan was $45. I thought those prices were outrageous. What a dummy I was! Now I'm still looking for two of them.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Not the same, but it still would have been a great deal. When the first Buffy set came out I was relatively new to card collecting. A dealer had all 4 autographs on display, and I think three were priced at $35, and the Hannigan was $45. I thought those prices were outrageous. What a dummy I was! Now I'm still looking for two of them.

I did pretty much the same thing, worst decision I ever made in regards to card collecting. The main UK dealer at the time was offering them for £35 each or all four for £120 and I decided I would rather get a Mimi Rogers auto from Lost in Space for £25 instead Roll Eyes .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I got that Mimi Rogers auto too! Terrible movie though.

I found these two Superman costume cards. They are kind of unique in that the words may be spelling 'SUPERMAN', who knows?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I was very happy to get these two cards, but my Superman set is still not complete. I can't find magnet number 2!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Picked these two up the other day. One more card and my Daredevil set is complete.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Here is my latest addition from Walking Dead S2:

I have now both oversized cards and my set is now complete. Can't wait for season 3 series 1 and 2.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I've got that card but mine's not signed.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
My previous holy grail card was the Alias gummie. I never got it because it was just too much to pay. Recently I saw it on ebay (haven't searched for it for a long time) for about $4.00. Wow. How the times have changed.

And you know what? I didn't want it anymore. LOL! It's so confusing. I want it but don't want it. Ugh.

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picked these two up the other day. One more card and my Daredevil set is complete.

I need that Jen Garner card. I need it. Bad.

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was very happy to get these two cards, but my Superman set is still not complete. I can't find magnet number 2!

Congrats! Great couple of snags. Would love love LOVE that Spacey card!

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. Most of those cards were being held for me for a LONG time by a very patient dealer. I FINALLY paid them off; no wonder I'm driving a 22 year old car! I left one Grail for later. There's a story behind it, which I may tell.

BTW - I LOVE that Walking Dead card. That's one series of sets I just can't do, although as soon as I win the lottery, etc., etc.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
This is the last one for a while. I'm broke.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the last one for a while. I'm broke.

That's a great collection you are getting there, I'm not surprised you are broke. lol

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can add an Anna Torv, Fringe Seasons 3 and 4 autograph card to my grail cards. I just pulled it today from a 2 box purchase. Dance Bouncey

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rich65,

Posts: 193 | Location: Ca | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
After years of searching I finally encountered the Jim Lee auto-card of the Wildstorms Premium Signature Series.
A set of 9 autographed cards that were originally sold for $50 in comic-book stores. The other 8 cards weren't that hard to find, but after all this time I can finally call this collection complete.
Hurrah!

Now off to find the next of my holy grails: the Jae Lee autograph card from the Crimson Commemorative set.

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post