Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy Grail Card(s)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardinalfan13
posted Hide Post
I thinking of taking a run at the dual supernatural auto with Dean and Sam on it. Also the x-files dual auto with mulder and scully....

Posts: 614 | Location: Missouri | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardinalfan13:
I thinking of taking a run at the dual supernatural auto with Dean and Sam on it. Also the x-files dual auto with mulder and scully....

They're nice, but I hate it when they are sticker autographs. Part of the charm of a dual autograph is that both people handled the card.

Best of luck, those are some of the Inkworks autographs that still hold some value.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:
One of two of her 2004 SI autos...now I have to track down the other

I was able to track down the other pretty quickly

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ra$
posted Hide Post
Congrats Chuck picking up the other you needing i got to say my favourite out of the 2 is the first

Posts: 97 | Location: London, UK | Registered: September 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which kind of brings up another conversation. How many holy grail cards are there really?

Certainly there are some ultra limited modern cards, produced in less than a handful, that are almost impossible for anyone to find. Then there are vintage cards that have not survived in any quantity or quality.

But speaking for myself, many of the cards that I would like to own come up for sale on the internet quite a few times a year. Its not that they aren't available, despite what is limited production, its that they cost more than I care to spend.

In that regard, my idea of a holy grail card is one that I can keep looking for and hope to obtain at what I consider a reasonable price. It isn't a Craig or Brosnan Bond autograph, not that I wouldn't love to pull one from a pack, but there is no way I would spring for one straight up.

I guess my point is, money alone should not make a holy grail, especially when you never know when more will be made. There is nothing like finally getting a card you wanted at a price you can afford. That to me is what makes it a hobby for everyone who enjoys collecting cards. Smile

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Been going for the 1995 Marvel Masterpieces Mirage cards for quite some time. Like Raven said, they are on ebay and could be had, I just can't pay that amount of money right now for a card. Maybe I can use a little of my tax refund on one Razz

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For me it's the Mirror cards from Trek TOS Season 2, they come up quite regularly but like Raven I'm not prepared to pay the price they go for. That along with the same seller, selling card after card after card of a so called very limited card. I've seen cards from this seller and they look genuine, it's obvious that SkyBox never put them all in the packs and when they lost the Trek license someone bought the stock? IMO.

I have bought recently a Cut Roddenberry signature.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For me a holy grail card is one that is hard for me to find but often is not that valuable.

A good example is Women of James Bond In Motion base card 57.I bought an archive box off Ebay and everything was in there apart from this one base card.

Two years later and I still can't get it as a single.I lok at every show I go to but nobody stocks singles anymore Frown .Even full base sets are thin on the ground and I don't really want to buy one just for one card anyway.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
For me a holy grail card is one that is hard for me to find but often is not that valuable.

A good example is Women of James Bond In Motion base card 57.I bought an archive box off Ebay and everything was in there apart from this one base card.

Two years later and I still can't get it as a single.I lok at every show I go to but nobody stocks singles anymore Frown .Even full base sets are thin on the ground and I don't really want to buy one just for one card anyway.

I know someone who split a case, I'll check to see if he has a spare 57. It may take a week or so to find out.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:

I know someone who split a case, I'll check to see if he has a spare 57. It may take a week or so to find out.

Thanks for that Thumb Up .I have been looking for a long time,another week is not a problem Smile .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Which kind of brings up another conversation. How many holy grail cards are there really?

Certainly there are some ultra limited modern cards, produced in less than a handful, that are almost impossible for anyone to find. Then there are vintage cards that have not survived in any quantity or quality.

But speaking for myself, many of the cards that I would like to own come up for sale on the internet quite a few times a year. Its not that they aren't available, despite what is limited production, its that they cost more than I care to spend.

In that regard, my idea of a holy grail card is one that I can keep looking for and hope to obtain at what I consider a reasonable price. It isn't a Craig or Brosnan Bond autograph, not that I wouldn't love to pull one from a pack, but there is no way I would spring for one straight up.

I guess my point is, money alone should not make a holy grail, especially when you never know when more will be made. There is nothing like finally getting a card you wanted at a price you can afford. That to me is what makes it a hobby for everyone who enjoys collecting cards. Smile

Interesting points Raven.

I'd also agree that getting a great card at your price is a fantastic feeling but you could apply that collecting ethos to any card in any set you'd like to buy - I think grail status should be 100% about the item and 0% about the price.

I often trawl this thread to see what grail(s) fellow collectors are elated to get but TBH I rarely see the emotions you'd think people might have when picking up a 'grail'. IMO this thread often looks like more of a tick box exercise for rare/pricey/hard to obtain cards. I.e. if it is a what most people consider a 'desirable' card then it gets the official grail rubber stamp..

For me a grail can one of two things:
a) An item so scarce which, irrespective of value, has proven the bane of your collecting years. A card you have searched high and low for but is just not available. An item with an almost mythical staus, you know like The Holy Grail!

OR

b) An item that actually has some real meaning to you and not necessisarily anyone else, no matter how cool or desirable it may be in general. You want it for what it is, no because it is another card you need to finish a set.
If you had to get rid of every card you owned this would be the one that would stay.

I have only had a couple of 'Holy Grails' over the years and am happy to say I now have every single one. My first was the GoldenEye numbered promo card, which, before the Inkworks liquidation was VERY difficult to track down. That took some finding. Being a huge X-Files fan I had always wanted a Gillian Anderson autograph and managed to pull one from a single box - job done. And since 1998 when the first Bond autographs came out I wanted a signature from Famke Janssen and Pierce Brosnan - my favourite Bond actor and my favourite Bond girl from my favourite film series. It took Rittenhouse a while to get them both but they finally did last year and I couldn't be happier. The autos may be rare/expensive but that doesn't have any relevance to why they are grail cards for me.

I have desired and obtained plenty of cards I have really wanted over the years but that doesn't make them 'grails'.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
For me a grail can one of two things:
a) An item so scarce which, irrespective of value, has proven the bane of your collecting years. A card you have searched high and low for but is just not available. An item with an almost mythical staus, you know like The Holy Grail!

This is my view as well. My holy grail was the Superman SW1 that I had been chasing for over 10 years and had seen only once very early in my collecting (before I know what it was). It's now the last of the Superman red holos, which I have been gradually accumulating for over 10 years as well.

I don't have holy grails from recent releases because I either buy it, or decide not to because of the price. Either way, it's available if I am prepared to pay for it so doesn't meet the standard.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I'd also agree that getting a great card at your price is a fantastic feeling but you could apply that collecting ethos to any card in any set you'd like to buy - I think grail status should be 100% about the item and 0% about the price.

You want it for what it is, no because it is another card you need to finish a set.
If you had to get rid of every card you owned this would be the one that would stay.

I have desired and obtained plenty of cards I have really wanted over the years but that doesn't make them 'grails'.

Well said X. Thumb Up

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Ditto, well said X. I was going to type the same post. Thumb Up Thanks for saving me the time. Big Grin

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I in the wrong place if I ask for images of what I call "holy grails" as far as what I collect? If this is the wrong place, let me know where it should be.

For a change, how about "holy grails" that we are looking for?

Here are a few I am looking for, an image would be great:

FPG prize cards from Ken Kelly series 1, Achilleos series 1, Mike Ploog, Roger Dean, Rowena.

Ultraverse II redemption card?

Hildebrandt 1 coupon for an autographed uncut sheet?

Speed Racer P3 promo?

Showgirls motion card (rumor, no idea if this is real)?

Vortex Matrix 10 color variation aside from regular/silver, yellow and orange which I already have?

Dark Dominion art cards? I am not sure if these were ever inserted.

Terminator 2 promo with Carolco logo on the back.

Ken Kelly series 2 case insert sketch cards that do not show a male barbarian.

Defective Comics instant winner certificates.

Metal Gear Solid sketch card.

Ultraverse I album.

I know I listed a lot. Hopefully, it will be fun to put images here if anybody actually have any. It is amazing that I have been looking for these cards for up to 20 years! Time flies.

Thanks,
David

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dpolis,

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have a few:

Nightmare on Elm Street (Impel, 1991) sample cards; I only have 1 of the 6 promos. Why are these so hard to find ? Someone posted under the General Promo section and said that they found a set of these on ebay in 2010 (the auction did not say they were promos, but they WERE) for a mere $ 3.00 !

Blue Angels (1991) promo #17 (I have #1-16 and 18-20; saw a #17 on ebay about 4-5 years ago, but missed it)

Donruss Americana Dick Vitale promo

Earth Tribe 5 cards from the 2000 San Diego Comic Con; I am missing one; someone recently showed me a scan of it, but she didn't want to sell it; I saw a set on ebay once

Creators Master Series P0 promo and Ultraverse Master Series H1 promo (SkyBox, 1995); rumor has it that only 1 of each exist

Star Trek Generations (SkyBox, 1994?) widevision promo with variant New Zealand back

Mickey Mouse & Friends Fun Cards (SkyBox, 1996) promo card set of 3; I've only seen pictures of these, never known anyone who actually has them

Marvel Universe IV (1993) Spider-Man 2099 and Punisher 2099 sample foils and one of the three uncut sheets of the foil chase from the Capital Con that year (I have the other 7 sample foils and the other 2 sheets); I saw the missing sheet and the Spidey on ebay early last year

Any U.S. Stamp Collectors promo cards (by Tower, 1994) numbered USS1, USS2, etc

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

Nightmare on Elm Street (Impel, 1991) sample cards; I only have 1 of the 6 promos. Why are these so hard to find ? Someone posted under the General Promo section and said that they found a set of these on ebay in 2010 (the auction did not say they were promos, but they WERE) for a mere $ 3.00 !

That would be me- still have the promo/sample set and they are definitely a prized part of my trading card and "A Nightmare on Elm Street" collections.

Here is the front of the NOES1 sample featuring Heather Langenkamp as Nancy Thompson- also the same image as card #8 in the released set.

and here is the back:

I will one day post pics of the other promos except for NOES2 since there was a nice scan in the original thread of that card.

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One I would like to see a scan of is the Charisma Carpenter Buffy Season 2 full signature variant

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
Hey Chuck,

I totally wish I owned the full sig Charisma Carpenter A5 but I did save a picture of it and here it is:

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CordeliaChase_Fan:
Hey Chuck,

I totally wish I owned the full sig Charisma Carpenter A5 but I did save a picture of it and here it is:

Val

Dang that's an awesome card. I wonder how many of them there are.