Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Question on selling free promo cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on selling free promo cards
 Login/Join

Picture of AWR
posted
As a promo card collector, was wondering what the thought is regarding selling some of the free promos I have collected over the years. I see people selling newer promos on the auction sites days after the receive them (either at shows, gifts for purchasing cards, or mail in offers). Is there a time frame before is becomes acceptable to sell? Is it now OK to sell old Inkwoks P-i promos since its been a long time since they were offered.

Was wondering what manufactures think when they give away cards just to see them posted for sale the next day

For me, (as a promo collector), most of the time, I get my cards and place them in binders for keeps. But sometimes I due end up with multiple copies of a promo (like through multiple purchases).

There used to be the promo trade box where you would place the promos you wanted into a box and send it to somebody who would swap out what that they needed for their duplicates and then send it to the next person. Was a great way to swap out your promos.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
You are free to sell any promo cards you pick up from all over the place. I don't think anybody would have a problem with that at all, ebay and shows are full of folks selling promo cards that they would have got for free.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
There are also traders that look at want/have lists on this site.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Those card collectors who specialize in promo cards have to police their own market. By that I mean, collectively set the prices for what they think a "free" card is worth. The parameters will always be supply and demand, but the sale price is just whatever it can bring at the time. If everyone said no 'free" card is worth more than $10, that would be the end of it. Wink

Card manufacturers know how to play the game. They have been manipulating promo cards for decades, but more so now that there are promo cards and there are PROMO cards. Don't cry for them.

Of course, if you want to sell your promos, sell them all for as much as you can get. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is a prickly situation as no one wants to see the card that they sold last week being sold this week for ten times what they sold it for .But this being said they should do their homework.
Promo cards have been sold for years even when they had not to be sold printed on them , and people have purchased them regardless.
Even then there were cards being given out at trade shows etc wich were low prints gate prizes etc wich people could not get thus causing them to advertise for them or get a friend to get for them
There was no outcry about putting them on the Bay or mostly in the early days advertising them in different magazines even NSU added to this by issuing certain limited quantities of these cards
Lately companies have deliberately short printed promos for shows etc making them much more valuable and much sought after (eg Outlander)
Even though I dont sell I will Buy or Swap possibly I am also going to sell one day .
I dont think that these days anyone cares so do what you want sell or give away after all they are your cards most of them you have paid money for so recoup some of your investment
Good Luck
Piko

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
When I was going to the San Diego Comic-Con in the late 90's and early 2000's, there were people offering up on Ebay a variety of items they got free even during the show hours. They didn't even wait until they got back to their hotel room. There were a number of collectors who couldn't go to the show and were ecstatic to have a chance to buy those items. It was always a gamble for the seller and buyer. The seller might have sold too cheap on something that increased in value in the weeks that followed and the buyer might have jumped the gun on something that was easy to get later.

I would think a manufacturer is happy to see when promos sell especially when they are inserted with the product or otherwise given out with a purchase. That means people are talking about their product and sales were generated so the promotion did its job. The product and company remained in people's minds long after the promotion ended. Inkworks has been out of business for years but people are still talking about it. Longer-running companies that are still going wish they could get that kind of customer chatter in their industry.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
As a promo card collector, was wondering what the thought is regarding selling some of the free promos I have collected over the years. I see people selling newer promos on the auction sites days after the receive them (either at shows, gifts for purchasing cards, or mail in offers). Is there a time frame before is becomes acceptable to sell? Is it now OK to sell old Inkwoks P-i promos since its been a long time since they were offered.

Was wondering what manufactures think when they give away cards just to see them posted for sale the next day

For me, (as a promo collector), most of the time, I get my cards and place them in binders for keeps. But sometimes I due end up with multiple copies of a promo (like through multiple purchases).

There used to be the promo trade box where you would place the promos you wanted into a box and send it to somebody who would swap out what that they needed for their duplicates and then send it to the next person. Was a great way to swap out your promos.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been making my own promo cards for a few years and the only thing that bothers me is not when they're being offered for sale (expands my visibility), but when they're being purchased. If someone's looking for my cards I wish they would find and reach out to me, I want everyone to have it for free!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Hi Ted! What promos have you done? I dont believe I've seen any yet.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure the companies are more than happy to see them sold and don’t mind that the people they just handed it to are selling it within minutes. The whole idea is for the card to promote the product. Cryptozoic gets it. They issue multiple promos for months prior to release. Builds up excitement and knowledge of the product and results in great sales for them to eager collectors and fans. I don’t know of a cheaper and more effective way of advertising.

Posts: 70 | Location: New York | Registered: September 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
Hi Ted! What promos have you done? I dont believe I've seen any yet.

I'm up to #7 now, normally I give them out at the Philly Show when I'm set up. I insert myself into famous card sets - Mars Attacks, Star Wars, Pokemon, etc..

I'll shoot you an email.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post