Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hobbit Trading Cards
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
There is no way The Hobbit is 3 films, the story is just not that long.

They may be three really short films though. Big Grin

.....and then 3 long films for the specailly extended directors cut dvd's. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Maybe they'll do a 'trilogy' set instead of a set for each film. I can't believe they're doing more than a single film anyway.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have made custom autograph cards that I have sent to the cast. Gotten a bunch back. Here are a couple of them...

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Those are a nice thing for you to keep. Smile

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wolfie. Hopefully, I will get the whole cast and matte them like I have my other sets.

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Just watch, NECA will get the rights any everyone can look forward to boxes that have just base cards at pretty much full hobby box prices. Razz

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
Just watch, NECA will get the rights any everyone can look forward to boxes that have just base cards at pretty much full hobby box prices. Razz

That's the frustrating thing with NECA.They have some great licences like Twilight and Hunger Games that could bring in a whole new set of younger collectors to the hobby if only they were sensibly priced Frown .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
...and they knew/cared about making a decent product.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
I'd rather a movie not have a set at all than have NECA make it.

Check out my blog at Card Crazy!

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Is this whats known in the trade as manufacturer bashing?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Is this whats known in the trade as manufacturer bashing?

I don't think that is bashing - it is stating the facts Big Grin NECA could and should have done so much more with the sets they have had out

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What is the basis for all this talk of NECA getting the license? With Topps having done a good job with LOTR wouldn't they be the natural choice?

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A card license sometimes depends on how much a company is willing to pay for it. Some film production companies are getting pricey.

NECA comes up because they have issued some movie-property sets with few or no chase items. The Topps run with the earlier LOTR sets has raised expectations for autos, costumes, props, and sketches. Would New Line be able (or wish to) provide a lot of the extra items in advance of the first Hobbit movie's release? Companies are sometimes hesitant to provide spoiler images, even for base cards.

The first Topps sets for the original Trilogy withheld some of the most-spoiler-ly images and you saw some in the Update set. The first sets gathered some good autographs but no memorabilia showed up until the updates. It wasn't until the compilation sets where you saw sketches.

Could Topps provide a set that meets 2012 collector expectations for inserts, and is the production company willing to work with them? I can only imagine how much higher the license cost might be - remember the original Trilogy wasn't a guaranteed cultural phenomenon before the first film was out, but the Hobbit Trilogy would have a lot more bidders. And Topps pretty much proved the template for a modern movie-property series, where others can follow. (It didn't look like a coincidence when Artbox hired Gary Gerani to design its first mainstream Potter sets.)

I think the movie companies have come to an increasing conclusion that cards ought to be a significant marketing profit center. Eventually the prices they ask for a license could get too high, or the level they cooperate on memorabilia and autographs could get too low.

Recently NECA did base-only sets for Twilight Saga and Hunger Games, but even Twilight dried up by the time of BD Part 1. Studio cooperation for Harry Potter dried up for the last movie. I assume that these properties were part of a larger collectibles license, and maybe that's all some studios are interested in cooperating with today. Maybe we'll see a basic set for the Hobbit films initially, but some later sets with extras along the line of LOTR Evolution and Masterpieces. NECA seems to be the only company who is pursuing some of the limited initial sets. Sure you get boxes with base cards at about the same price as loaded hobby boxes, but I bet that's all the material they had to work with.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Any news about NECA?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robwaddle
posted Hide Post
I'm finding it very hard to believe that there's no word on Hobbit cards! The new trailers are out, it's less than 3 months till opening day & still nothing?!?!?

Posts: 372 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly it looks like no one will be picking this up.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I started a set of autograph cards for it recently I just need to finish them up.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
superb as usual. Clap

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Yes - there will be cards for the Hobbit.

However, they're going to be a premium at Denny's restaurants. 12 cards in the set. I haven't seen any other details.

http://www.theonering.net/torw...middle-earths-diner/

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These movies are gonna be huge.it may take the 1st one to come out but im 100% sure some company will pick this up and release auto and costumes etc!

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post