Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Inkworks the 4400 autos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inkworks the 4400 autos
 Login/Join

Picture of <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
posted
I saw a good price for a case of these cards, but am not really to sure if to buy it or not, due to the Inkworks curse of needing to get the autos through redemption! That would be a miracle, since we all know, Inkworks went belly up a few years ago! It's pretty much why boxes from Inkworks sit gathering dust on sellers shelves, because of this fact! Went to the Jeff Allenders site to check on it, and saw the dreaded word "redemption card!" Is it worth buying, or should I just leave it go? Really would like to get the auto, as well as the other inserts, or are the swatch cards redemptions as well, like the Andromeda set?

I feel the inkworks ghost haunting me!

Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You should get a good price if you take a case of these cards off of somebody's hands. Wink

First off, there were two seasons of this mostly forgotten show. Only the 2nd season product had piecework cards in it and there appears to be no redemptions in those costume cards. That is according to Allenders' checklist. So be sure that you are not buying Season 1, which only had the 9 autographs.

If it is Season 1, you are not only missing the chance of piecework cards, but the two best autographs are redemptions, Peter Coyote and the big star Billie Campbell.

Season 2 has the costume cards and 9 other autographs, but Joel Gretsch was one of the stars and is a redemption also. From the other signers you can pull a Jeffrey Combs, a Robert Picardo or a Natasha Wagner, as well as others that I don't really know.

I never bought a box of the 4400 cards, but I am shy about 4 signers. After Inkworks shut down they sold all the autograph cards they were holding in inventory to Razor and it was all repackaged as Razor Ink and Razor Vault. All of 4400 autographs, including those Coyote, Campbell and Greysch signatures that were redemptions in the boxes could be found in the Razor boxes. I know because I found them.

The Razor boxes were a lot of fun, provided that you did not own many of these autographs already. The market was flooded and prices fell through the floor. Any collectors with those autographs saw all but the most expensive turn into commons overnight. Any dealers holding sealed Inkworks product were hurt, any dealers holding sealed Inkworks product with redemptions inside were doubly hurt.

So it's up to you if you'd like to buy the product when you know what is in there and what is not.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I just put the set of 18 autos from Season 1 and 2 together over the last year for under 90 bucks. Just to give you a perspective. The hardest auto to find is the season2 a11 Conchita Campbell. It is not more expensive just not as common as the others.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I got a pretty much full set of them from a case of Razor Ink Vault 2010, but I only kept the Jeffrey Combs. He's probably best known as Crawford Tillinghast in "From Beyond" and Herbert West in "Reanimator", those being 1980's movie adaptations of horror stories by H.P. Lovecraft, and a pair of fan favorites to be sure...

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
You can probably get 1 or 2 boxes fairly cheap, and it would then be worth it for the base and inserts, assuming you actually want to collect the whole set. If you happen to get an auto or pieceworks, that's a bonus. If not, I always count a redemption card as part of a master set anyway and there's plenty of people who have spares so you could either trade for them or pick them up fairly cheaply. You would probably have to cross trade though as I expect anyone trying to complete this set would have already - if you offered up something decent from a more recent set, I expect you could get several 4400 autos.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's very frustrating when card companies turn to those redemption cards, really hits collectors when and if the company goes out of business, like inkworks did in the end! Worse is, when like the Andromeda set came out, all the autos were redemptions. Wonder if anyone are buying those boxes, as they kind of disappeared, we know why they are not a big seller anymore, besides the fact the show is gone.

Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Again those redemption autographs had a big presence in the Razor products. Never bought an Andromeda Inkworks box and have nearly all of them except Lexa Doig, which is the only good one naturally. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Raven, I have one of those Lexa Doig autos from a Razor box, if you are interested.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got some of the autos in the Andromeda set, missing a few of them, like Lexa Doug and the star of the show, can't remember his name right now but missing his as well. Have a few of the costume cards, and bought the 3 faces of Rommie cards, to at least have that one. Was a big fan of the show when it was on, pretty much disappeared since then.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Raven, I have one of those Lexa Doig autos from a Razor box, if you are interested.

Don, I tried to send you an email at your registered AOL name and then at NSU. They both bounced back. Yes, I could take that off your hands. Big Grin

Harris has my email or I could send it to you by NSU info. Let me know when you get a chance, thanks.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Success, you should be getting it Don, I think it was me. It's always me! Big Grin