Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Uncut Mini Press Sheets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uncut Mini Press Sheets
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
Any other manufacturer except Inkworks offer these with their sets?

I'd consider collecting the more if they did, though there's a lot available with Inkworks sets alone.

Does anyone remember around the time Inkworks ceased production very rare, limited uncut sheets of BASE sets were sold online (Possibly Ebay)?

I recall a few Charmed and Buffy sets of uncut base sheets were sold for about £70+ each (Possibly went into 3 figures).

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Nope, no one regularly makes uncut sheets of any size available any longer.

I'd bet there's still Inkworks uncut base sheets out there. They had a TON of them available to dealers at one time. Just to bulky to travel with and display to make them a viable product for shows, and shipping is a nightmare with damages for items of that type.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
That's a shame. Thanks for letting me know. Thumb Up

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one from comic images 24 set. Dont know anything about it though as I bought it as part of a complete set.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I'm not really versed in modern methods of publishing and printing, but with today's technology its safe to say that trading cards are not produced in the same manner as even a few years ago. Forget about vintage card publishing.

At one time there was a need for press sheets and actual printing plates. Sports cards were run and distributed in series batches throughout the season. The high number series always got a premium because production numbers were being cut down late in the season.

Cards were imperfect. There were off cuts. There were blurred photos. There were wrong backs. There were some corrected cards, because there were multiple times to print. There were, heaven forbid, gum residue and staining.

None of that happens anymore. At worst cards are mishandled and dinged, but every card is published the same and they are all perfect, except for any errors that may be in the cards themselves. There are no corrected versions because there are no second printings.

Maybe someone could comment about the printing plates we get as premium hits. If you got the whole set of 4 on one card, could you reproduce that card? I don't think so, I think everything is probably done digitally now, but I am ignorant to the process.

Anyway uncut base sets have gone the way of all those other things that have no purpose anymore. Cards are not cut from sheets like they used to be.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
You raised a lot of good points there Raven on the changes of printing practises over the past decades (or more).

Inkworks (I think?) we one of the first manufactueres to offer Printing Plates back in the 90s. Very limited back then.

Now it seems many manfuactrers include them as commonly as costumes, autographs and sketches in many sets.

Do you think this would make the uncut sheets whether limited edition or 1/1 sell offs (Eg uncut base set) even more valuable in the future?

Or rather would many collectors just think they're a hassle to acquire/ store and not really 'cards' as we know them?

It would be interesting to know the difference in printing methods from the likes of Cryptozoic and Topps compared to the likes of Cult Stuff and Monster Wax. Considering they produce very different sets in terms of style, quality and subject matters.

Do you think in the future people would be able to use the same digital methods to produce quality versions of their own cards on level with (some of) the manufacturers? (For personal use of course due to copyright).

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is a UK auction site that have Inkworks press sheets for auction 99c starting Go to the Site Map sold Inkworks items look on sold lots and you will come across the site
Piko

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:

Do you think in the future people would be able to use the same digital methods to produce quality versions of their own cards on level with (some of) the manufacturers?

They are allready doing it, just drift round ebay for 5 minutes, James Bond is full of them.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:

Do you think in the future people would be able to use the same digital methods to produce quality versions of their own cards on level with (some of) the manufacturers?

They are allready doing it, just drift round ebay for 5 minutes, James Bond is full of them.

I should keep my eyes peeled then. Eek