Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow - Inkworks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow - Inkworks
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted
Would the following be considered part of the Sleepy Hollow set:

It's described as a jumbo sized, postcard style card. Normally, I wouldn't consider it to be part of the set, except for two things:

• It was apparently produced by Inkworks, who did make the card set.
  • It is signed by Casper Van Dien, who was in the movie.

The card is approximately 5 x 7, unnumbered, and has a blank back.

There are other examples of this autographed card, so it's not a "one off".

What do you think?

Diamond Card Talk Member
    Picture of Raven
    posted Hide Post
    I don't know what it is, but with a blank back I would say it's not part of the set.

Van Dien did a lot of signing. He had his own website and he even wrote it down on some of his Inkworks' Sleepy Hollow autograph cards.

Could it be cut from a box or something? The card or even a postcard should still have something printed on the reverse I would think, so I would lean more towards "handmade" than officially licensed. That's just my guess.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Diamond Card Talk Member
    Picture of Raven
    posted Hide Post
    I see the listing on eBay now. It is a signed promo, which promo collectors should know about, for any reading this. I will say that I know the seller and if he says it comes directly from Inkworks I would believe it.

As a promo, I still wouldn't call it part of the set, but there are different opinions about that. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of pcetodd
    posted Hide Post
    I remember hearing something about this card many years ago, but exactly what I was told has left my memory. I know I made a decision not to list in PCE way back when and it had to have been based on what I was told. I wish time was kinder to my noggin.

I'm not really sure if that is a promo or if it was a proof-type sample that they never issued.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Titanium Card Talk Member
    Picture of wolfie
    posted Hide Post
    Educated Guess Alert.

This card is in the style of the chase cards in the set although this image was not used in the 6 card set.

I wonder if Inkworks sent x amount of these to the actor for private signings in the same way Rittenhouse did oversize autograph cards for private show signings.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of pcetodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by wolfie:

I wonder if Inkworks sent x amount of these to the actor for private signings in the same way Rittenhouse did oversize autograph cards for private show signings.

BINGO!! That sounds exactly correct. I have nothing to confirm that though.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bronze Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    The card is on a thinner type of card
    It also has the Inkworks embossed logo on it
    I do not think that it was cut from a premium box,It is too neatly cut for that
    They might of been produced for the actor to sign if he was at an Inkworks booth at some show
    I have also had many dealings with the seller and in my opinion he knows what he is selling and he normally gives a good description of the card and what it is
    The blank back means nothing as lots of promos prototypes have them in my mind it is a promo card
    I purchased one as sutch.

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    I wouldn't usually consider it a promo for the card set because it says nothing about the card set and its bordered style is very different from the cards's full bleed; I would tend to call it a movie promo. mhoponhop thought it promoted the set. Though folks here think of Inkworks for their card sets, their business was memorabilia and they had the equipment to product "lobby cards" for signing.

That said, it's "related" to the card set because it was made by the same manufacturer at about the same time, so some fans will want to collect it with the cards.

P1-P2-P3 were traditional card-set promos. Inkworks had printed redemption cards for the never-signed Depp and Burton autos and stamped them "promo", which makes them a bit more legit than Razor cards that were printed but never distributed at the time. Those were undoubtedly handed out promotionally for the set, while the Van Dien postcard was likely produced for individual sale, either for private sales like wolfie suggested or show appearances like piko suggested.

So it's an Inkworks Sleepy Hollow promo, but I wouldn't consider it necessary for a master card-set unless it references the set or was available in boxes or cases. But promo cards are a breed of their own, and manufacturers' licenses with the studios don't have to limit them to boxes and cases.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Diamond Card Talk Member
    Picture of Raven
    posted Hide Post
    Yeah, once I saw who was selling it, I knew there was no funny business going on, but it could be one of those grey area items that confound collectors. The key would be how the autograph got there. Whether in the production process or afterwards, or if afterwards, where exactly?

I could see Van Dien selling them or distributing them himself, if he did received them from Inkworks in any supply or there was an event, but its weird that its stumping people. Usually someone on the forum knows the origin of these oddball items immediately, especially since its not all that long ago.

Bronze Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    Another clue is this card could of been made for a special event etc is that Inkworks never threw cards with their embossed cachet on them around.
    Cards with them on are usually in limited quantities and as special items within a series or set
    EG Angel 4 UK gold seal embossed
    Buffy 5 P2 SDCC embossed

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of pcetodd
    posted Hide Post
    I remember at San Diego you could stamp any card you wanted with the Inkworks seal. Could be some one did that with this card.

Picture of pcetodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Raven:
    , but its weird that its stumping people. Usually someone on the forum knows the origin of these oddball items immediately, especially since its not all that long ago.

You mean all five promo collectors on the board? Smile

Diamond Card Talk Member
    Picture of Raven
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by pcetodd:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Raven:
    , but its weird that its stumping people. Usually someone on the forum knows the origin of these oddball items immediately, especially since its not all that long ago.

You mean all five promo collectors on the board? Smile

Don't tell them that Big Grin , the promo topics provide some of the more detailed and fact based threads on Card Talk.

For this item there is an autograph and its tied to the movie or card set. There appears to be more than one of them for sale that are signed and have an embossed seal like that. I collect autograph cards and I have a couple from Sleepy Hollow, including Van Dien's card. I can't recall ever seeing this jumbo before, which is why I was inclined to believe that it wasn't an official release by Inkworks, or at least not with the signature on it.

Whether it's a promo collector or an autograph card collector, someone has to know how an official Inkworks item got made and distributed. Was it signed or did that come later? Unless its so rare that it's hardly ever been seen. If that's the case you would think that this item would be worth a lot more to somebody. Anybody? Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    Yes even those SDCC cards you could make for yourself are hard to come by
    The embossing on the Sleepy Hollow card is a different design to the SDCC one you could do for yourself or someone at the booth done for you.

Platinum Card Talk Member
    Picture of Batman
    posted Hide Post
    I agree even the Inkworks stamped cards are not easy to find, I went to SDCC for many years but I only recall getting one stamped, probably a Buffy card.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Contest Czar
    Picture of barobehere
    posted Hide Post
    I have a Buffy Card and a Charmed card stamped by Inkworks! I remember that stamp machine Allen had.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of paul hart
    posted Hide Post
    Spoke to Allan Caplan and about 25 of these were made and signed

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of pcetodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by paul hart:
    Spoke to Allan Caplan and about 25 of these were made and signed

Look who crawled out of the woodwork!

Titanium Card Talk Member
    Picture of wolfie
    posted Hide Post
    So we now know sort of how many of these were made and signed. All we need now is how they were distributed.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bronze Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    Jeez this could upset the applecart.