Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Twilight Inkworks 2008
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twilight Inkworks 2008
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
Looking at my Inkworks Twilight cards I find that the Insert Set Different has cards produced by Inkworks & NECA.
EG The Different set is listed in the 2008 Inkworks set My 6 cards are listed as being produced and distributed by D1 ink D2 NECA D3 NECA D4 Ink D5 NECA D6 NECA also the insert cardHT1 is listed in the NECA 2009 New Noon set and has the Inkworks logo on it.
Did Inkworks and NECA collaborate and print half of the set each
Is there other Different D2 D3 D5 D6 cards out there with the Inkworks logo on them
Anyone have an answer or explanation on this or are the lists mixed up.

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think if I am understanding you correctly, this is your answer.

NECA reprinted Inkworks Twilight cards after they closed up. The ones with only the Inkworks logo come from the original cards, if you see NECA it's from the reprint set. If you have the D1 - D6 insert with switching logos as you indicate, it's been put together with 2 originals and 4 reprints.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Raven yes that is the answer that i wanted.
I have been looking for a Wanted set and seen a NECA one but passed as it was not Inkworks.
Did NECA reprint because the Ink issue did not satisfy demand .Or were they just jumping on the bandwagon.
Although NECA did New Moon and Eclipse.
Looks like I will have to start advertising for Inkworks ones now
Thanks
Piko

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I believe the NECA reprint was done right after Inkworks folded when demand was still high. Definitely before NECA came out with New Moon and Eclipse on its own. The NECA set has the exact same base cards and insert cards as Inkworks Twilight, but of course no costume cards. NECA was licensed though, so its not like the cards are counterfeit, just not as valuable as the originals.

You can still pick up NECA sealed boxes, but I think they are over $100. The original sealed Inkwork boxes with costumes are mega bucks, if you can even find any, which is unlikely. You should still be able to pick up Inkworks' Twilight cards in lots, you just have to watch out that sellers are not pulling a fast one and mixing in the cheaper NECA reprints. Enjoy. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Did NECA reprint because the Ink issue did not satisfy demand .Or were they just jumping on the bandwagon.Piko

I don't think a fully answered that. Inkworks short printed their Twilight set. It was at the end of a bad streak of movie titles, The Golden Compass, The Seeker: The Dark is Rising and The Spirit. Inkworks was on the way to going out of business, but no one knew about it yet.

I think maybe they must not have had any money to pay signers for Twilight because, even if they couldn't get the stars, they had no autographs at all. Once it was announced that the packs would only have costume cards and no autos, many card collectors were not interested and dealers cancelled or cut down on existing orders.

With the pre-sale tanking, Inkworks made a low production run and few dealers bought a lot or even had them at all. Then the movie hit and it was the movie fans that went after the cards first. Most card collectors got interested after the fact when they realized that the supply was low and they could get good money for the costume cards. So in this case the card collecting community backed into it, as a lot of collectors passed on it early.

NECA was able to cash in on the reprint cards once Inkworks folded and they bought the rights to the title and to reprint the original card designs, which they did in large numbers and still sold them well enough to movie fans. The big loser was Inkworks who sold the original cards when they were just trying to get rid of boxes and probably saw little, if any profit, on what was their biggest hit in years. Ironic, right?

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
You are wrong.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
You are wrong.

Perhaps. I was collecting non-sport cards at the time. I was on Card Talk at the time. I passed on those Inkworks' cards myself. That's how I remember it. I have no insider knowledge of Inkworks, if the sequence of events is off, they are pretty close. The titles are correct. I do know for sure that the announcement of only costumes was not greeted well by card collectors and that movie fans bought the cards. I doubt many became card collectors, they liked Twilght. And when Inkworks did close without an official announcement I remember how distressed many dealers and collectors were alike. That's how I remember it.

I'd be happy to read your take on the question of the story behind the original and reprint Twilight cards as you remember it and I won't call you wrong.