Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    List of NSU Gummy Promos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

List of NSU Gummy Promos
 Login/Join

Picture of AWR
posted
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but is there a list of NSU Gummie Promos anywhere?

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The list:

More Than Battlefield Earth (Comic Images 1994)
Star Trek Voyager (Skybox 1995)
The Lone Ranger (Dart 1996)
Babylon 5 (Fleer Skybox International 1997)
Star Wars Episode 1 (Topps 1998)
Charmed (Inkworks 1999)
More Morbid Monster Cards (NostalgiCards 2000)
Xena (Rittenhouse Archives 2001)
Alias (Inkworks 2002)
The Complete Battlestar Galactica (R.A. 2003)

The program was discontinued in 2004 for reasons that I don't think were ever made publicly known, but one could reasonably gather that it might have to do with people not following the rules of one card to a voter. Hard to say for sure, though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this list chesspieceface! There's at least one other....More Than Battlefield Earth card by Comic Images. This one was from 1994.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thank Harris. I'll amend the list so it's complete in one spot.

I remember getting the Lone Ranger Gummie and giving it to a friend who'd missed it. I then got all of them from Star Wars on (but kept only that one ultimately as I didn't collect the sets the others were from). Of course, looking back at it now, it is properly seen as its own 10 card set, a highly collectible one, and a nice piece of NSU history, at that.

I used to love the "eligible" lists provided for our voting, especially in the early days of the poll. They were comically large compared to our modern annual list, especially around 1994 and 1995, which is probably (and almost certainly will remain) the peak in terms of active non-sports manufacturers.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I used to love the "eligible" lists provided for our voting, especially in the early days of the poll. They were comically large compared to our modern annual list, especially around 1994 and 1995, which is probably (and almost certainly will remain) the peak in terms of active non-sports manufacturers.

I agree. Collectors who have only been collecting a few years or less would be amazed by the amount of manufacturers listed on those old lists. We still have a number of sets being issued each year though.

It was interesting how we would have to split things out over the years. If memory serves me right (and my memory stinks), we listed all manufacturers together at first. Next split them into Major and Minor categories. And then had to split them into three groups. I think we had a qualification that if the company also issued sports cards, they were grouped in the top most category. We did that as there was no way a one-person company could compete with say, Comic Images, let alone Topps or Upper Deck.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
It's intresting the way prices have gone on those Gummie cards. All of them have become very low priced items except the Star Trek one which commands a very good price.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Thanks chesspieceface for the info. Have some and now the chase begins for the others.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Morbid Monsters, Battlefield Earth, and Lone Ranger should be pretty easy since most who wanted collected those actual sets surely have them by now, which would limit demand.

The ones from Inkworks were likely overprinted and then hit the market when Inkworks went bust, especially the Alias, so that one is very affordable.

The others from Rittenhouse probably were printed in a level much closer to 1,000 so those will be a little tougher, especially the more popular licenses.

The Star Trek doesn't come up often and I did see one of those recently sold for $100. I don't know if that's what those are generally valued at, or perhaps if two bidders went a little crazy when maybe they didn't have to. Patience can get you a better deal on most
cards, ultimately.

The Star Wars one is among the first cards ever made for the second trilogy and has to be among the most limited. It's also a great looking card, and I'm a longtime Star Wars fan, so I really treasure that one. It used to sell for $50, but you can get it for less now, certainly.

If I'm not mistaken, most if not all of hem came with a card sized "certificate" that indicated their origin and also served a a thanks to the voter for participating with a mention of what issue of NSU the results would be found in. Those go nicely with the cards, if you can find them.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are some updated notes on the Gummie promos:

More Than Battlefield Earth (Comic Images 1994) unnumbered - This one comes up for sale every once in a while. It sells roughly in the $20-35 range.

Star Trek Voyager Season 1 Series 2 (Skybox 1995) unnumbered - This one appears to be the most in-demand - still hunted by Star Trek and promo card collectors. It has been selling regularly in the $150-200 range. One sold last year for $129.

The Lone Ranger (Dart 1996) unnumbered - This one has gone up and down and up again in value. It sold for $15-20 in 2021 but one sold this year for just $5 which is about what was selling for over the past twenty years.

Babylon 5 Season 4 (Fleer Skybox International 1997) unnumbered - The last three sales I've seen over the past few years were clustered in the $90-100 range.

Star Wars Episode 1 (Topps 1998) SW0 - Conventional wisdom would assume this would be among the more valuable Gummies but a lot more people voted to get this card so a lot of them were acquired back then and many have been resold since. It goes for about $30-40.

Charmed (Inkworks 1999) NSU-1 - It was in-demand 10-20 years ago and it was selling for $35 or more, but after Inkworks went out of business, more appeared on the market. It's more of a $10-20 card now.

More Morbid Monster Cards (NostalgiCards, 2000) G1 - This one has sold in the $5-10 range with one outlier sale of $35 a couple of years ago.

Xena Season 6 (Rittenhouse Archives 2001) Gummie 2001 - This one has been selling in a relatively low price range, $20-30, given the popularity of the show.

Alias Season 1 (Inkworks 2002) G1 - This one is the easiest to find and it has sold for as little as one dollar with sellers sometimes offering lots of 10 or more cards for that price.

The Complete Battlestar Galactica (R.A. 2003) Gummie 2003 - I saw one sell for $35 a few years ago but it has bumped up to more of a $40-60 card over the past couple of years. One sold for $49.99 a few days ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A Star Wars Episode 1 SW0 sold for $24.62 on April 25, 2022.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here are some updated notes on the Gummie promos:

More Than Battlefield Earth (Comic Images 1994) unnumbered - This one comes up for sale every once in a while. It sells roughly in the $20-35 range.

Star Trek Voyager Season 2 (Skybox 1995) unnumbered - This one appears to be the most in-demand - still hunted by Star Trek and promo card collectors. It has been selling regularly in the $150-200 range. One sold last year for $129.

The Lone Ranger (Dart 1996) unnumbered - This one has gone up and down and up again in value. It sold for $15-20 in 2021 but one sold this year for just $5 which is about what was selling for over the past twenty years.

Babylon 5 Season 4 (Fleer Skybox International 1997) unnumbered - The last three sales I've seen over the past few years were clustered in the $90-100 range.

Star Wars Episode 1 (Topps 1998) SW0 - Conventional wisdom would assume this would be among the more valuable Gummies but a lot more people voted to get this card so a lot of them were acquired back then and many have been resold since. It goes for about $30-40.

Charmed (Inkworks 1999) NSU-1 - It was in-demand 10-20 years ago and it was selling for $35 or more, but after Inkworks went out of business, more appeared on the market. It's more of a $10-20 card now.

More Morbid Monster Cards (NostalgiCards, 2000) G1 - This one has sold in the $5-10 range with one outlier sale of $35 a couple of years ago.

Xena Season 6 (Rittenhouse Archives 2001) Gummie 2001 - This one has been selling in a relatively low price range, $20-30, given the popularity of the show.

Alias Season 1 (Inkworks 2002) G1 - This one is the easiest to find and it has sold for as little as one dollar with sellers sometimes offering lots of 10 or more cards for that price.

The Complete Battlestar Galactica (R.A. 2003) Gummie 2003 - I saw one sell for $35 a few years ago but it has bumped up to more of a $40-60 card over the past couple of years. One sold for $49.99 a few days ago.

The Star Trek Voyager one has been on my want list forever…I never found one that was in my price range though.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see a couple of Gummies sold at bargain prices a few months ago. A Xena Season 6 went for about $10 in September (and with the little "thank you" certificate that isn't always kept with the card) but even that was beat by one going for just $1.99 in August.

A Complete Battlestar Galactica from 2003 sold in August for just $8.50. I wish I had seen those!

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I would think the only one that would sell for good money is the star trek voyager, all the others i can't see there being much intrest so low sale prices.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Babylon 5 sells every time it's priced around $100. I'm a little surprised that one has held its value but there are still some older collectors who want that card. The Star Trek one has slipped a bit in past couple of years as there has been at least one for sale out in the open for what it used to sell for with no takers. I think it would sell in the $115-140 range.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I would think the only one that would sell for good money is the star trek voyager, all the others i can't see there being much intrest so low sale prices.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Someone did pull the trigger on that Star Trek Voyager Gummie, paying $185.75 as a BIN on November 7.

A Xena Gummie sold for $24.95 on Nov 4.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A Star Trek Voyager Gummie sold for $129.99 on June 4.