Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Gucd231's Custom Booklet Thread
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gucd231's Custom Booklet Thread
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
I have been a silent member for a while now and just wanted to share some customs I've done for myself and others as a way to make the hobby my own.My interest first sparked when I had a custom card made for me My a great card maker from another sports forum,I was bit by the bug instantly.I have spent last year or so perfecting my methods and trying new things and materials,most of the success was accidental.I enjoy making sports as well as non-sport type customs along with other graphic designers.I work with a really talented member on another forum.Most of what I have built in the past was my idea but not my graphic work.I am currently learning digital graphics and I have a few in the process of completion that I created and built on my own.Most of what I build are booklets similar to the sports ones put out by the big companies.I use certified autographs when I can especially if they are damaged and sometimes I am the one damaging them.I am not sure how others feel about that but that's what I do.I will post a few here so feel free to comment or criticize as that is what helps make a better custom.

As a kid in the 80's nothing could tear my brother and I away from the tube while watching The Dukes of Hazzard. As a tribute of sorts to the iconic show my graphic designer and I came up with this booklet design to house these cut autographs.Needless to say I am really happy with the results and the build of this nostalgic booklet.This is my first non-sport custom quad auto booklet.Any feedback is welcome from the community and thanks for the look. -Steve

Posts: 30 | Location: NEW YORK | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's another nostalgic sitcom booklet I wanted to build.I co-created the graphics with another graphic designer have been waiting on the autos to become available to build it.I personally love this show today as much as I did as a teen in the 90's.This booklet was a blast to make and I hope you enjoy it.Any feedback/questions are welcome from the community and thanks for the look.

-Steve

Posts: 30 | Location: NEW YORK | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Those are really nice, well done on making those. Thumb Up Clap

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wvfan
posted Hide Post
Great looking work. How do you cut the section out for the autographs?

Posts: 130 | Location: petersburg WV | Registered: December 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Just wonderful!!! I have seen some other people on other sites do these and they all look good!I would love to do these but I just can't bring myself to cut out a autograph.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I like the idea of creating a neat way to display autograph collections beyond just having them in a binder.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas.I try and use sticker autos which usually don't get much love in the hobby anyways.Also when I make a booklet I only cut the autograph as long as I am making it a more significant card.

Here's a few more.

This was another personal booklet that I am sure most if not all can connect with.I worked very close with my graphic designer on this one as it's always a blast to relive a classic.Since I built it Jeff Cohen has come out with a certfied sticker auto in a Topps 75th product.I am in process of making a second addition which will have the 4 main characters.

This was my first Sci-Fi themed booklet to build and I could not be happier with the results.I believe the booklet was built for a member on this forum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GUCD231,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
wow...thats incredible. Just like the Topps booklets in Supreme and other high end sports products. Just outstanding. Some company reps should take note!

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
Great looking customs! I've made a couple custom booklets too, but nothing with autos. These are impressive.

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again fellas,Here's a few more.

I built this one for a guy who wanted something special done for his son who is also the young fan on the cover.He's a big fan of the band and was actually at one of their concerts and got the bands autographs and the very photo used for the cover.

-Steve

This was made for a gentleman who wanted a special piece done from the 90's Batman film featuring Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson.The autos were from PSA/DNA certified 8x10's on 2 different media types.The trick was coming up with a window that fit both very large and odd shaped autos.I also wanted it to have significance rather than just a standard squared off window.....behold the Bat.The booklet is oversized at about 3.5 x 5 and 1/4 thick.

In addition I incorporated the PSA/DNA stickers into the card as I would a cut autograph.I did get the idea from a fellow who did it with MLB cert stickers once.This was a little tricky as everything has to come together just right or else.

posted Hide Post
Just finished this one up.This was my first crack at designing a theme booklet on my own.I did have some help with the character cuts from my designer as well as some direction with the format.Other than that this was my baby and I'm pretty happy with the results.I know we have a few Horror fans on here and the inspiration for the booklet came from that.Thanks for the look.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Thumb Up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking booklets, but I have to say that I die a little when I see cards cut up like this. Don't get me wrong. They are your cards to do with as you please, and I respect that. It just hurts because there are so many that I'd like to have.

Enjoy your cards in whatever way makes you the happiest.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuchaldream:
Very nice looking booklets, but I have to say that I die a little when I see cards cut up like this. Don't get me wrong. They are your cards to do with as you please, and I respect that. It just hurts because there are so many that I'd like to have.

Enjoy your cards in whatever way makes you the happiest.

I do understand where your coming from.I also realize these may not appeal to everyone considering how many non-sport collectors are out there.I do appreciate your stance and willingness to understand one's expression of the hobby.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I think it is a great idea, especially for the booklets that have no card set.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Can't tell you how much I like the Batman and the Horror cards. Cool

I'll be going to a horror-themed painting/modeling/special F/X show at the end of this month. Among the many special guests this year will be all four Cenobites from Hellraiser II. I plan on getting all four of their autos on 8x10's for my autograph collection. I was just thinking that if I wasn't already spending a ton of cash that weekend it would be cool to get four "extra" Cenobite autos and have a card like the one you did made up. Smile

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
Show off the SOA booklet.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Absolutely amazing idea! I love it. A fresh new approach to non sport card collecting. great job. I would kill for that Goonies card. Any chance you have an extra or plan on making these? I would pick one up in a snap!

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much guys.

dcole-That would make a great booklet I agree.

HIM-See below and thanks for the request.

beamer-I plan on building another as Jeff Cohen has a certified auto out.It will probably be PC,but if you like shoot me an email at Gucd231@yahoo.com if your interested in one.

With the upcoming release I want give a tribute of sorts and build a booklet of the show.While I wish I had more time to watch the series I can appreciate the great story line.
The booklet has a 'crossed lovers' theme since those are the autos I chose to use.Thanks for the look. -Steve