Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
TV Custom Card Help + Feedback!

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/9497045086

January 31, 2016, 07:25 PM
nublarfan33
TV Custom Card Help + Feedback!
Hey guys,

I've designed a few sets of custom cards (see below for screens - would love some feedback!) and am planning on getting them printed.

I'm new to this, so how would be best to send to actors? Do I need to contact their agents first and ask permission?

If I'm sending a SASE to the US, do I need to get US stamps from eBay?

Thanks for the help! Hope you like the cards Smile

FOX's The Following Card Set

CBS's Elementary Card Set

NBC's Hannibal Card Set

Life Is Strange Game Card Set
February 02, 2016, 12:23 PM
AWR
Nice job. What did you use to create these cards. And how are you planning on printing them.

As far as getting them signed, there are a few others on Card Talk who create their own cards. I would reach out to them regarding contacting people. (You should be able to search the forum for custom cards)
February 02, 2016, 08:05 PM
nublarfan33
Hey! Thanks Smile

I used a combination of Sketch for Mac and Photoshop to put them together.

Not sure about printing yet. I was considering going a local company, who print at 2.3 x 3.3" so slightly smaller than a standard card. All the custom trading card printers I found are US based and thus more expensive for me.

Thanks for the tip - will take a look!
February 02, 2016, 11:21 PM
Raven
Nice work and welcome to Card Talk.

I don't think you need permission as long as this is just your project and you are not going to try and sell them. That's when copyright problems would appear.

Your first issue is finding the addresses. There are a number of places on the internet that advertise celebrity addresses and, as already suggested, there are a couple of members here who have really impressive collections of created cards. Many addresses are just contacts at production companies, studios and agents, not too many personal home addresses you know.

If it's the autographs you really want I would try to research that end before you go spending money on printing the cards. The more popular the actor the harder it is to get a by-mail autograph even if you find a good contact. Lots of luck.
February 06, 2016, 05:10 PM
Thush
The cards look very well-made. Good job on the designs.

One small comment. Looks like you've got one Elementary card as "Sherlock Homes". Should it not be "Sherlock Holmes"?
February 07, 2016, 08:16 AM
nublarfan33
Nice catch, will change that :d
February 12, 2016, 02:48 PM
Bill Mullins
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I don't think you need permission as long as this is just your project and you are not going to try and sell them. That's when copyright problems would appear.

Not true. To make a single copy, with no commercial intent, is still a violation of copyright law.

However, the odds of anyone actually caring are pretty low when you are doing a few for yourself.

Back when I used to chase autographs through the mail, I'd send a duplicate card and suggest the actor keep it for his own collection. So you might want to print up extras for that reason.
February 12, 2016, 05:28 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Not true. To make a single copy, with no commercial intent, is still a violation of copyright law.

However, the odds of anyone actually caring are pretty low when you are doing a few for yourself.

Back when I used to chase autographs through the mail, I'd send a duplicate card and suggest the actor keep it for his own collection. So you might want to print up extras for that reason.

I guess you are right if you want to consider it to be in the same vein as DVD or record piracy, but it isn't that either because a custom card set is the creation of the person making it. It would be appropriate to call it unlicensed cards, with or without an autograph. However if it is a personal project and there is no intention to produce and sell more copies, I don't see where anyone would make a copyright case against it, even if they knew.

I mean, if it is a violation of the law, then all of these impressive sets that we see certain members creating should not be shown.

I'm just joking of course, and maybe that is the letter of the law, but there should be such a thing as common sense. If license holders want to protect their rights they must go after the people who are making a business off of their products.

As I reread my post, just to make it clear, I don't think there is anything wrong with creating some amateur cards to try to get celebrity autographs or just for your own amusement. With the blatantly ripped off unlicensed cards being sold openly on the internet, if someone's custom card set gets him in trouble, I give up. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
March 26, 2016, 07:23 AM
Stimpy
Hi nublarfan33

Firstly, nice job on the mockup cards.Very professional looking.
I,ve read this post & the post left on another board on the same topic & was wondering if you
were still intent on producing the physical cards ?
I have long thought of starting my own card company, in fact several years ago I entered discussions with the
BBC to produce Blakes 7 cards (which have since been made by Unstoppable Cards)but sadly it not happen.
March 26, 2016, 10:21 AM
nublarfan33
quote:
Originally posted by Stimpy:
Hi nublarfan33

Firstly, nice job on the mockup cards.Very professional looking.
I,ve read this post & the post left on another board on the same topic & was wondering if you
were still intent on producing the physical cards ?
I have long thought of starting my own card company, in fact several years ago I entered discussions with the
BBC to produce Blakes 7 cards (which have since been made by Unstoppable Cards)but sadly it not happen.

Hi there! Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I've been trying to source a suitable printer locally to have them printed. May start with the Hannibal cards as I may be going to a convention with most of the actors.

I had considered trying to obtain the license for one of the shows with the most interest, but I'm not sure the logistics would work out currently. It's something on the back of mind, but I think I would need more start-up capital then I currently have to fund the initial print run and acquire any major license currently.

Definitely some shows out there that I would love to see card sets for - Hannibal, POI, Mr Robot to name a few.
March 29, 2016, 12:00 PM
AJJ
Great looking designs.

August 05, 2016, 06:20 PM
TC00
Those are some nice sets!! Elephant
August 09, 2016, 09:27 AM
Chris Cline
WOW those are really great!!!

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/