Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    131 million 1970s-90s non-sports cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

131 million 1970s-90s non-sports cards
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
Catching up on my reading of Sports Collectors Digest, I noticed a full-page, full-color ad in the Oct. 17 issue offering 131 million non-sports cards from the late 1970s-early 1990s.

The ad was placed by Steve Myland, who was a major advertiser in SCD in that era.

How many 18-wheelers would it take to move this inventory?

Posts: 4 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: September 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Only 131 million, there will be an ebay auction shortly adamantly stating they are rare. Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
and as Wolfie has remarked on another thread about this stock...just one match would sort out the entire inventory and do us all a favour at the same time!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
If it's the same lot that was discussed here some time back then they are counting uncut sheets as 100 cards, or however many they have.

A pallet load of Dinosaurs Attack would add up pretty quickly and do no one any real good.

I'm sure there are some gems, but I doubt they'll find anyone to bite on the whole lot. It's worth more in pieces over time than one shot right now.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
A typical Topps box from that time had 10 cards in a pack and 36 packs in a box for 360 cards. If you had a pallet of 144 cases of 12 boxes of Dinosaur Attacks that would be over 622,000 cards right there.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RRParks CARDS
posted Hide Post
900,000 cards weighs roughly 4,000 pounds... about 180 'ream boxes'... on 4 pallets (just take my word for that). Multiply that by roughly 150 times to equal 131 million cards and that's 600,000 pounds occupying 27,000 ream boxes (give or take)... 600 fully loaded
pallets about 5' tall with each pallet covering a floor space of about 6 square feet. So the volume would be just about 40' wide by 90' long and 5' high (18,000 cubic feet). If you want to store them in your house you would need about 18 spare bedrooms 10' wide x 10' tall x 10' long and double stack the pallets (and good medical insurance when your house collapses). And no... I don't know how many trees gave their life for 300 TONS of cardboard... I'd guess somewhere between 'too many' and 'way too many'.

Posts: 87 | Location: Nevada | Registered: July 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RRParks CARDS:
900,000 cards weighs roughly 4,000 pounds... about 180 'ream boxes'... on 4 pallets (just take my word for that). Multiply that by roughly 150 times to equal 131 million cards and that's 600,000 pounds occupying 27,000 ream boxes (give or take)... 600 fully loaded
pallets about 5' tall with each pallet covering a floor space of about 6 square feet. So the volume would be just about 40' wide by 90' long and 5' high (18,000 cubic feet). If you want to store them in your house you would need about 18 spare bedrooms 10' wide x 10' tall x 10' long and double stack the pallets (and good medical insurance when your house collapses). And no... I don't know how many trees gave their life for 300 TONS of cardboard... I'd guess somewhere between 'too many' and 'way too many'.

Or as the late David Frost once said "To give you some idea how big Jupiter is, if you imagine that this orange was the size of the dome of St.Pauls then Jupiter is five hundred million times the size of the dome of St.Pauls. Or to put it another way....50 people dotting continuously at 2.5seconds for 983 years would fill 189 warehouses full of exercise books.

Wolfie, where's that box of matches?

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RRParks CARDS
posted Hide Post
As Doctor Hibbert would say "FIRE! And lots OF IT!"

Posts: 87 | Location: Nevada | Registered: July 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post