Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Most valuable sketch artist/cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most valuable sketch artist/cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpolis:
I have been trying to remember the name, and now I do.

Metal Gear Solid has 10 sketch cards in the packs. I have seen images of several of them online, but can't find the webpage. Those are beautiful sketches. Probably $1,000 per card.

David

I'm not familar with them, I'd be curious to see some of them.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only have one image. I saw a few others on a webpage, but it has been revamped, so I don't see any images there.

Here's the one I have a scan of, the quality of the scan isn't good, but you can tell it is a very nice detailed sketch though.

David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
the one to really find is Steve Ditko sketch.only 10 were done back in the 90's and none have ever shown up.talk is that could be $10000 sketch if ever found?odds were 1 in 225000 packs or something like that??almost impossible to pull one and no pics either.i dont think they will ever turn up?

I have been trying to find out about these sketch cards. From what I understand, Ditko never turned them in, so they were never put into packs. No idea where they are.

I also think Groo sketch cards are pretty expensive (only 50 made) and certain case inserts from Ken Kelly series 2. There are 3,000 case inserts, but maybe 50 with a lady on it instead of a male barbarian. I also heard about 2 one of a kind images with that set. There is a "caveman" sketch. I am not sure how many of those there are. So, I would think those unusual images from Ken Kelly series 2 would command more than a regular barbarian image.

I also like commission sketch cards. There is only disadvantage about those, if you want a specific sketch card for a specific set, that cardback does get a premium for those set collectors. If you just want the artwork, and with a specific character/ship/image/pose your way, commissions are great and usually very affordable.

David

I found a female Ken Kelly sketch on my hard drive, so I figured you guys can enjoy it. It is a nice change from the normal male barbarian image that Ken Kelly sketches usually have.

David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by simpsonscardman:
quote:
quote:
the one to really find is Steve Ditko sketch.only 10 were done back in the 90's and none have ever shown up.talk is that could be $10000 sketch if ever found?odds were 1 in 225000 packs or something like that??almost impossible to pull one and no pics either.i dont think they will ever turn up?

I have been trying to find out about these sketch cards. From what I understand, Ditko never turned them in, so they were never put into packs. No idea where they are.

I also think Groo sketch cards are pretty expensive (only 50 made) and certain case inserts from Ken Kelly series 2. There are 3,000 case inserts, but maybe 50 with a lady on it instead of a male barbarian. I also heard about 2 one of a kind images with that set. There is a "caveman" sketch. I am not sure how many of those there are. So, I would think those unusual images from Ken Kelly series 2 would command more than a regular barbarian image.

I also like commission sketch cards. There is only disadvantage about those, if you want a specific sketch card for a specific set, that cardback does get a premium for those set collectors. If you just want the artwork, and with a specific character/ship/image/pose your way, commissions are great and usually very affordable.

David

Info on Jeffs site is below

Original Art card (1 per case)
Original pencil drawing in individual protective case;
3000 20-box cases were produced, which seems like there would
have been an awful lot of the art cards. Known items are:

1 Barbarian Warrior (Conan)
2 Female Warrior (Red Sonja?)
3 Troglodyte

3000 sketches are an awful lot and considering that you don't see that many??it does make me wonder??

That list is a list of known images, not how many of each image made. Ken kelly have/had a cult following and so do other fantasy artists. I have over 50 sketch cards of various images with different weapons/poses etc and a few female ones. I am sure I am not the only one who has multiples. This set came out in the 90s, so for a 20 year old product, it does get dry in eBay and hard to find in the secondary market. I also have a hard time finding defective comics autos and have not seen a sketch card yet on eBay.

David

posted Hide Post
The best Indy sketch artists are:

http://sketchcollectors.com/gallery.php?user_id=388

'cause they're mine! Smile

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice sketches.

Posts: 49 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: July 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Smile

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by simpsonscardman:
quote:
quote:

David

Info on Jeffs site is below

Original Art card (1 per case)
Original pencil drawing in individual protective case;
3000 20-box cases were produced, which seems like there would
have been an awful lot of the art cards. Known items are:

1 Barbarian Warrior (Conan)
2 Female Warrior (Red Sonja?)
3 Troglodyte

3000 sketches are an awful lot and considering that you don't see that many??it does make me wonder??

Guys, appreciate reading all your insight. Need a favor: a few days ago on the web I saw a Ken Kelly Collection series 2 art card uncut sheet that had a helmet on it and some other non-barbarian sketches. Now I can't find it anywhere. Do you guys know where I saw it or have an image handy?

Posts: 28 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Here it is:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/orig...e-ThisAuction-120115

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Here it is:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/orig...e-ThisAuction-120115

Thanks, but that's not the one. The one I saw had a sketch of *just* a helmet, along with other non-traditional images. :-)

Posts: 28 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Ryan Waterhouse Indiana Jones sketch cards are quite nice and command a premium.

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Studio-Hades:
The Ryan Waterhouse Indiana Jones sketch cards are quite nice and command a premium.

That's just wicked. Big Grin Thumb Up

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Someone on Blowout recently picked up a few Indy artist return cards from Waterhouse directly...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/...hread.php?p=16355922

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Funny how artist returns or APs are always the gems, ain't it? Big Grin

The problem with Waterhouse was that what went into the boxes was absolute dreck and there was so much of it that if you bought multiple boxes you had to hit the same exact thing multiple times. Yes it was TOPPS' fault for having the nerve to use them, but he put them out there with his name on it. It's his reputation as an artist that is damaged. That he is actually talented, just makes it more foolish.

On the other hand, we all know and remember his name years later, so maybe that's got him more of a legacy than if he tried. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Funny how artist returns or APs are always the gems, ain't it? Big Grin

The problem with Waterhouse was that what went into the boxes was absolute dreck and there was so much of it that if you bought multiple boxes you had to hit the same exact thing multiple times. Yes it was TOPPS' fault for having the nerve to use them, but he put them out there with his name on it. It's his reputation as an artist that is damaged. That he is actually talented, just makes it more foolish.

On the other hand, we all know and remember his name years later, so maybe that's got him more of a legacy than if he tried. Big Grin

In his defense, Topps had him doing 1000+ sketches for a set, with likely just weeks to do the work. He gave them EXACTLY what the contract was for: "A Quick Sketch".

And yes, we still know his name and most of us also know he's actually a good artist too, from the stories told over time.

I put the blame firmly on Topps. Nobody should be doing 1000+ sketches for a set. And when the sketches came back they should have said NO. But they must have been OK with it as he did LOTR, Indy, SW and I don't remember what else.

As an aside, I had Steve Sansweet (Former Lucasfilm Merchandise Historian) at my booth in Chicago one year. I pulled out one of the $5 sketches and asked "How is this good for the Star Wars brand?" He looked disgusted, and said they never show them those. They might not have shown him, but someone at LF was approving them.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

In his defense, Topps had him doing 1000+ sketches for a set, with likely just weeks to do the work. He gave them EXACTLY what the contract was for: "A Quick Sketch".

I put the blame firmly on Topps. Nobody should be doing 1000+ sketches for a set. And when the sketches came back they should have said NO. But they must have been OK with it as he did LOTR, Indy, SW and I don't remember what else.

Nah, Ryan could've had some integrity. He signed the agreement knowing what he was getting into and figured a quick buck was more important than putting out a true reflection of his abilities.

I'm not saying he should've done the level of his APs, but you can tell when an effort is made.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post