Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of Hobby in UK
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I meant on my post a few days ago ravenheart.

PP probably still charge a small fee for using PP, but I think i'll still save compared to having PP handle everything.

My CC is currently 2.75% + a better exchange rate, so i'm trying it out next time.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WarriorBabe:

PP probably still charge a small fee for using PP, but I think i'll still save compared to having PP handle everything.

They definitely still do that. Everyone's got to make a profit, right? :/

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I'll definitely look into that as well. Smile I wasn't aware of that...probably an option you have to look for, and Paypal know that and that's why a lot of us aren't aware of it.
This could well turn out to be a VERY informative thread. Thanks everyone. Thumb Up

Edited to add: Thanks for the link ravenheart, it took me directly to the option. Would never have known about it otherwise. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hedgehog Witch,

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
WarriorBabe/Ravenheart thanks for that - I have a 0% handling charge on my CC. I will start spending again!!!!!

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Just paid for an item on my credit card rather than using paypal conversion. paypal offered $1.37 my credit card gave me $1.41

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Just paid fot an item on my credit card rather than using paypal conversion. paypal offered $1.37 my credit card gave me $1.41

What bugs me is that my credit card is Mastercard - a worldwide recognised company. Why then am I charged a foreign exchange fee? I got a good rate on a purchase using it - $1.425 - but was then charged 2.75% fee on the transaction. This gives the enhanced exchange rate a false reading.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
If Parcelforce decide to put a 24 hour sticker on it, it's £13.50. I have a package that a US seller has very generously valued at $200 - about half the true value. It'll be interesting to see what I'm stung for when it arrives.

Just got my customs request. The rate Parcelforce used was $1.40 = £1. For my $200 purchase (plus postage which they count as part of the chargeable cost), I am being stung for £46.49 - $65.92. This equates to a 33% charge!

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
MasterCard charges can vary depending on the issuing bank. I opened up a bank account at Metro because they advertised a flat rate of 1.9% and no transaction fee outside of the EU - it's commission free in the EU. I got a MasterCard debit card so that's what I use for trips abroad and ordering online from non UK sites. As long as I remember to put funds into the account before spending (no overdraft facility!) it seems to work well and sounds cheaper than your MasterCard. I'm putting it to the test in May... Big Grin
Doesn't help with the Customs charge of course.
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Mines a Visa with no fees.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just paid for an item on my credit card rather than using paypal conversion. paypal offered $1.37 my credit card gave me $1.41

Yeah, I find the difference is negligible on small orders, but even then I still do it because every little penny of fees I can deprive PayPal of is worth it!

And I use Top Cashback on every purchase as well. It's only 1.05% (for members), but again, every little helps.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
It's the principle. Paypal are making enough from the Sellers without ripping us off with the exchange rate, when you consider the £Millions they take they should be beating the banks not making even more money on exchange rate deals as well

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's the principle. Paypal are making enough from the Sellers without ripping us off with the exchange rate, when you consider the £Millions they take they should be beating the banks not making even more money on exchange rate deals as well
For that to come about, Paypal would have to put their shareholder's demands for ever increasing profits ahead of the needs of their customers....and that is never going to happen. Unless some bright spark in government passes legislation that removes the legal requirement for companies to maximise their shareholder profits as a priority over all other considerations. Again, that is simply never going to happen.

Paypal are not alone in increasing their charges simply because they can rather than because they need to Twak

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Reporting back Smile

For a $9.96 purchase, PayPal offered £7.17.

It came to £6.94 on my Credit Card.

It may only be 23p but i'm happy to save anything, and it will mount up over time.

Big Grin

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WarriorBabe:
Reporting back Smile

For a $9.96 purchase, PayPal offered £7.17.

It came to £6.94 on my Credit Card.

It may only be 23p but i'm happy to save anything, and it will mount up over time.

Big Grin

Nice! Thumb Up It will definitely add up over time.
There's that old saying: 'Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.' Smile

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
My CC (Mastercard) updated to include the fee, which I thought they'd already done.

So PayPal offered £7.17 and my CC with fee £7.13.

4p is 4p lol.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
From eBay:

Sellers: Lower USPS First-Class rates coming April 10

Effective April 10, 2016, the US Postal Service will reverse a 4.3% surcharge applied to certain mailing rates and services, including its First-Class Mail Parcel rate at USPS retail locations, Media Mail rate, and extra services such as Domestic Insurance and Signature Confirmation.

From that date you will also see lower rates for eBay labels. For First-Class packages between 1 and 3 ounces we will match USPS retail rates. For all other First-Class package weights (4-16 ounces), you will continue to enjoy discounts on USPS retail rates.

Accurate weights and measurements are key to getting the most accurate shipping costs. Use our Shipping Calculator and guide every time you list.
- See more at: http://announcements.ebay.com/...sthash.B6Rr9tmV.dpuf

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Another CC direct instead of PayPal's exchange rate, just under $80 resulted in a £0.30 saving.
That is way more than I usually spend at once but the savings do add up, and i'm not paying PP to scalp me quite so much!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Not to bring a very complex economic situation down to the process of buying trading cards, but the whole long term Brexit fallout and the more immediate issue of the fluctuating pound value has got to have an effect on the cost of the hobby in the UK sooner or later.

Any thoughts from you guys?

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Not to bring a very complex economic situation down to the process of buying trading cards, but the whole long term Brexit fallout and the more immediate issue of the fluctuating pound value has got to have an effect on the cost of the hobby in the UK sooner or later.

Excellent time to sell any cards with a US interest (ie not Dr Who and others that are primarily UK purchasers). You will effectively get 10% more for the cards. Long term, won't make a lot of difference as financial relationship with US is not affected

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

No idea how brexit will effect trading card buyers, just like nobody really knows what will happen in the economy generally both short and long term.

I can say that for me the hopefully short term fall in sterling has caused me to lower my maximum bids on Ebay for overseas auctions so where I would have bid $28 for an item I valued at £20 now I bid $26.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post