Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Cost of Hobby in UK
 Login/Join
 
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Not to bring a very complex economic situation down to the process of buying trading cards, but the whole long term Brexit fallout and the more immediate issue of the fluctuating pound value has got to have an effect on the cost of the hobby in the UK sooner or later.

Any thoughts from you guys?


The short term drop in the £ has stopped me buying some items. If it stays low it will have an effect, long term it could boost the £. Basically the value of the £ has a huge effect on my buying power and the ability to visit the USA. I prefer it to be nearer $1.50 to the £.
 
Posts: 12059 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Its impossible to tell what will happen at the moment. The drop in the pound against the dollar will have a big short term effect as the vast majority of cards are imported from America.
In the medium term we will probably see postage charge increases and customs + vat barriers between the UK and the EU. I personally often buy cards from French and German dealers who often charge less postage than Uk dealers so this will hit me hard.
In the long term we could see a trade deal with the USA changing customs/vat charges making things much better for buying cards direct from US dealers.
 
Posts: 117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neilsy:
In the long term we could see a trade deal with the USA changing customs/vat charges making things much better for buying cards direct from US dealers.


That's what I was kind of driving at, that it might have an effect to lower those postage/customs charges that seem so out of whack on eBay purchases from the US.

It is going to be a couple years before the full impact, good and bad, can be assessed. Trying to look at it totally non-political, the thing I found most surprising was how many pundits and bookies were caught completely off guard. Clearly the survey polls got it wrong.
 
Posts: 9349 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the cost, does anyone know why people are charging extortion prices for the Walking dead Brighton Sharbino (Lizzy) autograph card ?
 
Posts: 1211 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
Speaking of the cost, does anyone know why people are charging extortion prices for the Walking dead Brighton Sharbino (Lizzy) autograph card ?
I can't be certain but it probably has a lot to do with the sticker autos she has signed for the Topps Walking Dead set coming out later this year. Instead of the full on-card autograph seen on the Cryptozoic cards, the stickers are all signed simply 'B.S.'... which says everything really Big Grin
 
Posts: 1402 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:

Instead of the full on-card autograph seen on the Cryptozoic cards, the stickers are all signed simply 'B.S.'... which says everything really Big Grin



Your right but Topps don't care, i know, i asked them. Shake Head

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28757 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:

Instead of the full on-card autograph seen on the Cryptozoic cards, the stickers are all signed simply 'B.S.'... which says everything really Big Grin



Your right but Topps don't care, i know, i asked them. Shake Head


What did you ask and what did they say?
 
Posts: 3114 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:

Instead of the full on-card autograph seen on the Cryptozoic cards, the stickers are all signed simply 'B.S.'... which says everything really Big Grin



Your right but Topps don't care, i know, i asked them. Shake Head


What did you ask and what did they say?


I pointed out that myself and many other people thought the sticker autographs were abysmal and should be stopped. The answer was that this way of doing things worked well for the company and it would not be changing anytime soon.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28757 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I pointed out that myself and many other people thought the sticker autographs were abysmal and should be stopped. The answer was that this way of doing things worked well for the company and it would not be changing anytime soon.


There is no question that sticker autographs are more viable for the card manufacturers. They don't need to have made the card, they can store the stickers and use them anytime, in any appropriate product. They can make as many dual, triple and quad autograph cards as they can fit on the card surface. They can number them as 1/1s, 1/5,s 1/10s, and so on. They can paste autographs on sketches, props and relics.

I mean really, what's for them not to like.

Except that they are too small for inscriptions, or even for some full signatures. They can be very unattractive on some designs and they blow up the idea of limited cards because you can make any card and any type of card as limited as you want long after that sticker was signed.

But those are the things collectors should care about. And we do, just not enough to make anyone change any time soon. Wink
 
Posts: 9349 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
Speaking of the cost, does anyone know why people are charging extortion prices for the Walking dead Brighton Sharbino (Lizzy) autograph card ?
I can't be certain but it probably has a lot to do with the sticker autos she has signed for the Topps Walking Dead set coming out later this year. Instead of the full on-card autograph seen on the Cryptozoic cards, the stickers are all signed simply 'B.S.'... which says everything really Big Grin


If this is true, somehow I don't think it would have been the same if it was Dr S or Caeser, Lizzy was only briefly in season 5 both autos are now at idiot prices with substantial postage and anyone who gets it will do the same, she's now more than Reedus and Lincoln, it's a pain.
 
Posts: 1211 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 


© Non-Sport Update 2013