Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Autograph cards at the top
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autograph cards at the top
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Did you know that 7 out of 10 of the highest paid actors in the world have signed for card manufactures?

The actresses? Not so much. Kaley Cuoco being the only one while Scarlett and Margot ignore us in spite of being in Super Hero franchises.

https://www.thenational.ae/art...d-actresses-1.978476

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Amazing. . .

I count 8 of the top 10 although I can see how you wouldn't count Sandler though since the SNL autos are so rare.

Wish more of the ladies would sign, I'm certain many of them have been asked.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Amazing. . .

I count 8 of the top 10 although I can see how you wouldn't count Sandler though since the SNL autos are so rare.

Wish more of the ladies would sign, I'm certain many of them have been asked.

Yeah, forgot he was one of the few from that set who had signed.

I just found the article pretty cool seeing how this part of our hobby began with so many signatures on the outer edges of hollywood fame. Cool

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
What is funny is that I saw a Leaf cut signature card of Scarlett a few months back. I recognized where it was cut from because I have the same poster which it was cut from. Scarlett's long time business manager is Pete Yorn's brother. Pete Yorn made 2 albums with Scarlett. The last EP they made together if you bought the album with the shirt you got an autographed poster (Pete and Scarlet) for free. They signed on different parts of the poster. Her signature was always by her arm in the image. Being a fan of Pete I was going to order the album anyway. So, I have the signed poster. I wonder if Leaf made a cut of his signature too?!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That list is based on a one-year snapshot. If you headlined a Marvel or DC movie in that period you had a good chance at it.

Let's see what the list looks like when it includes 2020. TV stars may do a lot better if they kept drawing a paycheck.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
What is funny is that I saw a Leaf cut signature card of Scarlett a few months back. I recognized where it was cut from because I have the same poster which it was cut from. Scarlett's long time business manager is Pete Yorn's brother. Pete Yorn made 2 albums with Scarlett. The last EP they made together if you bought the album with the shirt you got an autographed poster (Pete and Scarlet) for free. They signed on different parts of the poster. Her signature was always by her arm in the image. Being a fan of Pete I was going to order the album anyway. So, I have the signed poster. I wonder if Leaf made a cut of his signature too?!

Yeah I don't even count the cut sigs, but I am sure you are right. I saw a Gene Simmons cut signature from a book that sold for $20 while people were asking over $100 for the card. I only have two or three cut sigs as I consider them cheating as it pertains to the hobby. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
That list is based on a one-year snapshot. If you headlined a Marvel or DC movie in that period you had a good chance at it.

Let's see what the list looks like when it includes 2020. TV stars may do a lot better if they kept drawing a paycheck.

Sure, but that really wasn't the point I was making. None of them HAD to sign. Signing for a card set is a tiny fraction of one percent of their impact through representing the MARVEL universe. All I was doing was commenting on the journey this hobby has made since the first autograph card in 1988. Cool

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:

Sure, but that really wasn't the point I was making. None of them HAD to sign. Signing for a card set is a tiny fraction of one percent of their impact through representing the MARVEL universe. All I was doing was commenting on the journey this hobby has made since the first autograph card in 1988. Cool

Well I really wasn't commenting on your point, as I was trying to make a separate observation. Of the 10 highest paid actors and actresses, 5 men and 2 women can be linked to DC or Marvel movies around the reviewed timeframe. The guys are Hemsworth, Downey, Evans, Rudd and Smith. The ladies are Johansson and Robbie. For Dwayne Johnson its a different Disney thing.

I meant that is the paycheck that helped to get them on the list. Only five of those guys, Smith is out, have certified autograph cards and they are in the Marvel and DC titles, except for Johnson who signed early on. It's certainly not a matter of money for them, probably just good will for the franchise licenses.

Most celebrities still follow the same pattern as Kaley Cuoco or Sarah Michelle Geller, who is of course not on the list. Cuoco signed for the first 2 seasons of the Big Bang Theory and never returned. Geller would never sign for Buffy until her career stalled out, then she became available in several places. Emilia Clarke is following the pattern and has a chance to go full circle if she doesn't change.

The way celebrities become available for personal appearances is similar to how they contract to sign in the hobby. The do it when the are young and unknown, when they are older and unemployed or as a bonus for the studio's promotions and sales if they have a nice stake in it.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only five of those guys, Smith is out, have certified autograph cards and they are in the Marvel and DC titles, except for Johnson who signed early on.

Rudd's autograph is not in a Marvel or DC set.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Only five of those guys, Smith is out, have certified autograph cards and they are in the Marvel and DC titles, except for Johnson who signed early on.

Rudd's autograph is not in a Marvel or DC set.

My mistake, I see now that he only had costumes in UD's Ant-Man. Didn't touch that product myself. I have his Parks and Recreations autograph card from 2013, 2 years before Ant-Man. That one seems to have moved up nicely, especially the inscriptions.

So I guess he falls into the group that doesn't keep signing after the big hit.