Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Show off your Custom Cards!
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Show off your Custom Cards!
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
A few new cards I have gotten recently....

http://imgur.com/LIKcp15

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
Really nice to see the Time Team autographs.Thumb Up
Great cards, as always. Thanks for sharing, I enjoy seeing them. Smile

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
Ditto, this is one of my favourite threads. Love seeing your cards, Chris!

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd share this with you guys: Over the years I've been creating my own Carry On autograph cards (Carry On's are a comedy film series from the 60's and 70's - possibly only familiar to people in the UK?!?). At one point Cards Inc were going to make a set, then Strictly Ink announed a 50th Anniversary set which never got off the ground, so in the end I thought I'd make my own autograph cards. Such a shame no card company ever made anything of the licence Frown

Most of the core cast have now sadly passed away, but many of the occasional stars are still around and are household names in the UK. There's still a couple of stars I'd like to get an autograph card from, but I think I've been able to get hold of most of the memorable (and surviving) cast members:

Posts: 240 | Location: London, England | Registered: December 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RP01:
Thought I'd share this with you guys: Over the years I've been creating my own Carry On autograph cards (Carry On's are a comedy film series from the 60's and 70's - possibly only familiar to people in the UK?!?). At one point Cards Inc were going to make a set, then Strictly Ink announed a 50th Anniversary set which never got off the ground, so in the end I thought I'd make my own autograph cards. Such a shame no card company ever made anything of the licence Frown

Most of the core cast have now sadly passed away, but many of the occasional stars are still around and are household names in the UK. There's still a couple of stars I'd like to get an autograph card from, but I think I've been able to get hold of most of the memorable (and surviving) cast members:

Great collection Thumb Up . Shame they don't get shown on the telly these days but I guess you can blame the PC brigade ( otherwise known as the vocal minority Roll Eyes ) for that.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I've heard the show mentioned, but as far as I know it's never been shown around these here parts. The cards look great, but we need a bigger picture please!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I've heard the show mentioned, but as far as I know it's never been shown around these here parts. The cards look great, but we need a bigger picture please!

It's not actually a show but a series of films ( about 30 in the originals between 1958 and 1978 and a rather misjudged reboot in 1992 ) .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
quote:

They're movies, but all have Carry On at the front of the title. Some of the later ones in the 70's were pure smut and less funny IMO. I much preferred the earlier ones.

One of my faves is the very first one from 1958 in b&w, Carry On Sergeant, making fun of National Service in the army. My Dad did National Service so this always makes him laugh. That one starred William Hartnell, the 1st Doctor Who.

I have so many that I loved. They are not PC, but they still make me laugh. They're often shown on some of those Freeview channels and things like ITV3. Innuendo was used so much that I even liked watching them as a kid when I didn't understand the double meanings. Smile

I remember reading that the movie Carry On Cleo, which was their take on Cleopatra was so lavish with costumes and sets, because they basically got use of all the things left behind from Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra movie. Most Carry On films were shot on a budget and something like Carry On Camping was made in about 6 weeks one November, where they all had to pretend it was summer and warm and not freezing and muddy.

I think cards wise there was only a small promo set from Cards Inc, which I know I have somewhere.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Those are great. I've got the official Peter Rogers one somewhere.

I think there are nine official cards for Carry On if memory serves.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

They made a total of 30 films and I would guess that at least half of them did make it to American TV, but I mean decades ago. Since they are mainly 60s and 70s "B" movies you have to be able to enjoy that look, but they could be pretty funny at times.

I loved them and I have a few taped on VHS that are still buried around my house somewhere. Kind of like extended Benny Hill sketches, some jokes worked and some didn't.

Carry On was a series that used a set core of British actors, but the cast revolved over the years. Some of the jokes could get bawdy, so yeah maybe the PC people would have to say something now, but it was harmless in the time. It may have also been censored for TV, that I don't know. I remember Carry On Boating and Carry On Screaming were good fun.

I think these films did make it on to DVD, but I don't know if it is region free. There is a full collection, but it may be for the UK only. If you never saw one, well you're probably not missing much. Big Grin But you should see one anyway. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

If you never saw one, well you're probably not missing much. Big Grin

Whatttttttttttttt Eek Twak

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'll check Netflix. I used to watch Benny Hill all the time. I particularly liked his rendition of IRONSIDE. And Yakkety Sax is of course one of the best classical pieces of music ever recorded.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Infamy! Infamy! Oooh They've all got in for me Big Grin Big Grin .

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

So now I feel like the politician who says that the quote was taken out of context.

Did you not read my post? I love the Carry On movies. I don't mind being called out for the things I say, but you take the joke line and reprint as though its my opinion.

No way. Infamy! Infamy! Oooh they've all got it in for me! Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:

Yep, there's plenty of quotes which you could make a card set out of.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Cool effort RP01, thanks for sharing.
A bigger pic would be nice so we can see your achievements - I can't make what's what or who's who. Big Grin

Where these obtained through the mail or in-person?

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carry on is an acquired taste. An Atlanta station carried them years ago late night and I got to enjoy them. I still watch them on You Tube every now and then.

Posts: 163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
An Internet search revealed that the complete series is available on DVD for Area 1 (USA/Canada)as well as Area 2 for UK/Europe.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
How do people find fan mail addresses to send letters and cards to if a shows no longer in production?

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
And what do people do about packaging so the envelopes not heavy (and shipping expensive) but the card doesn't get damaged.Thanks

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post