Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disney Lorcana
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The latest card thing for speculators. I hadn't heard of these. People are buying in without even knowing how the game is played yet. Singles are going for $200-300 each. While I doubt anyone on this board would buy in at that (unless they feel lucky), it's at least another thing for us to watch.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
The latest card thing for speculators. I hadn't heard of these. People are buying in without even knowing how the game is played yet. Singles are going for $200-300 each. While I doubt anyone on this board would buy in at that (unless they feel lucky), it's at least another thing for us to watch.

I would bet there are a fair number on this board that have TCG cards in their collection and have no idea how the game is played.

These are "scarce" right now, and a licensed Disney collectible. Disney collectors will want copies in their collection. Even if they never play the game.

I know people that collect Magic for the art and never have played a round of the game.

I don't find this that strange. Some people have deep pockets for promos, and it's Disney.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

I would bet there are a fair number on this board that have TCG cards in their collection and have no idea how the game is played.

Ed

Yes that would be me. I collected all the Alien vs Predator ccg and the star wars young jedi ccg but i have never played a game with them.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I collected the James Bond CCG set that came out in 1996 after GoldenEye

I remember opening a ton of boxes in 1996 to try to assemble all 208 or so cards, only to discover that the checklist was inaccurate in that 1 card did not exist and there were 2 versions of one other card

And then many years later, I came across a website devoted to the card set, in which I learned for the first time that there was an Italian language version with a few different cards not in the English one !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I collected Magic the Gathering cards in the early years when they basically started the CCG craze. I never played the game but contacted many of the original artists to get their cards signed TTM. After Wizards of the Coast changed their copyright deals, many of the artists stopped working on the sets and I stopped buying. Years later I sold everything I had except for the autographed ones. I lost a lot of money overall, but it was a fun time, so who cares!

If the subject is right for collecting, playing the game is optional. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In the 1990's a lot of magazines that gave away trading cards also included game cards in their giveaways so most of us would have had a TCG or two for at least a while (the subjects covered were numerous including Pokemon). Following on from David's comment about James Bond there were at least two sets of Bond game cards issued here in the UK (Spy files - these being a test set and a main set from FE Fabbri) and several sets of game cards were issued for Dr Who (BBC - Monster Invasion, Topps - Alien Armies etc., GE Fabbri - Battles in Time). Of course there were other issues and issuers, I would have to consult my records for those.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the Bond set I am referring to. As Jeff points out, there were 2 "Ousted" cards and no "Blown Away". I guess 1 of the former was intended to be the latter. A misprint which confused us all back in 1996.

http://www.nslists.com/jbgolccg.htm

As mentioned, a few years ago I found a website which had photos of every single card, and it also showed 2 or 3 cards only issued in the Italian language version, which I have never seen.

I just did a quick internet search but don't see the website anymore. Maybe it is gone. If someone can please find it, please post the link here.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Here is the Bond set I am referring to. As Jeff points out, there were 2 "Ousted" cards and no "Blown Away". I guess 1 of the former was intended to be the latter. A misprint which confused us all back in 1996.

http://www.nslists.com/jbgolccg.htm

As mentioned, a few years ago I found a website which had photos of every single card, and it also showed 2 or 3 cards only issued in the Italian language version, which I have never seen.

I just did a quick internet search but don't see the website anymore. Maybe it is gone. If someone can please find it, please post the link here.

David

here is a link:

http://www.jamesbondtradingcar.../17-GoldenEyeCCG.htm

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, John. That is the one.

According to the author, the 3 exclusive Italian cards were available through a sendaway offer in that country, not in the UK or USA, I guess. He has pictures of them on his site.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Well done John, that's a great resource, i am really enjoying looking through this and seeing what i do not have. Clap

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wolfie

I have known about for a long time, at least more than a decade. I came across it accidently and I have found it a useful resource. I believe the owner of the site does not collect every card but obtains photos of some cards from friends and fellow collectors.

regards

John