Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    It's Star Wars day today!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's Star Wars day today!!
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
It's Star Wars Day today

May the 4th be with you!

Yes, yes, I know but it did make you smile for a moment didn't it!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They had it on this week's Big Bang Theory episode also. They were watching all 6 movies in honor of the day. Big Grin

Must say I don't know why the fuss continues. The first two, Star Wars and Empire, were very good. After that the good parts are just copied and the new stuff is boring or lousy, take your pick. Wink

And they are doing it all over again. Roll Eyes Not a big fan. Big Grin

Posts: 10417 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
"The Goldbergs" on ABC (which I enjoy. Those who haven't should check it out!) must've went to Lucasfilm and said:
"Hey, we have the same owners.
If Big Bang Theory can get a Star Wars episode, why can't we"?.
And it came to pass. I think that episode airs this week. Disney knows a little something about synergy, all right.

I think the new movies will really have the look and feel of the original trilogy with a lot of actual mechanical special effects as opposed to the CGI stuff (which is beautiful, but can still seem a little cold), so that should be a shot in the arm for the movie franchise after the mixed-to-negative reviews of the prequel trilogy. They had their moments, but I understand much of the criticism of them.

Where our mutual interests are concerned, it's hard to imagine trading cards without the Star Wars brand. I credit their continued success since being reintroduced with Star Wars Galaxy in 1993 as a major factor in keeping the overall market solvent so that other subjects can be covered as well.

All hail Star Wars! It'll tell us what to do.

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Where our mutual interests are concerned, it's hard to imagine trading cards without the Star Wars brand. I credit their continued success since being reintroduced with Star Wars Galaxy in 1993 as a major factor in keeping the overall market solvent so that other subjects can be covered as well.

I would certainly regard Star Wars as a major non-sport card title, but I don't know that I would go so far as to credit it with keeping the market solvent. In fact I could argue that the most recent Star Wars sets are making things unstable. They are being released to close to each other and are much too costly for the average collector. They are also very tough for anyone to complete, even with the funds to investment. Topps has had the Star Wars license pretty much forever.

I personnally think Star Trek, in its many forms, is more representive of the hobby as a whole than Star Wars.

And then we have the revitalization of the Marvel brand, plus all those TV and Cable shows with card licenses. And there is still Bond and Dr. Who, not to forget the UK favorites.

But if there was a single factor in keeping the market solvent I would contend that it is not one single title, but the card manufacturers that make all things possible. People should not forget that Skybox and Inkworks brought the non-sport market to life as the alternative to Topps in the 90's. Now they are gone and we have three others, RA, Breygent and CZE that are really cranking out the products, not to mention a slew of smaller companies with more limited numbers.

I guess it just comes down to how you feel about Star Wars material. Done to death or can't wait for more? Big Grin

Posts: 10417 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Why, the answer is both, of course. Star Wars has been done to death, and I can't wait for more.

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Will you two guys stop hijacking my thread! Big Grin

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's like my buddies always say when I get back from the liquor store:
"May the Fifth Be With You".

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Since New Zealand went metric about 20 years ago, that expression would be May the 1125ml be with you.
Kinda loses something in the telling don't it!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
We celebrated early Saturday at the Kentucky Derby: "May the Horse Be With You."

Won by Google Chrome.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Cinco de Star Wars!!!

Picked up the promos at the Disney Store

Posts: 902 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post