Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Your most expensive autograph card
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your most expensive autograph card
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I'm not a fickle collector Raven... I'd be hard pressed to move it given my reasons to buy it in the first place and would be too hard to replace.

Nothing to do with being fickle X. What I was trying to say, without coming out and saying it, is that someday the value of that card may be worth more than you can pass up, even as a fan. It's a good option for you to have. Smile

That is what has happened with the Connery cut, which I always thought should have been a bigger value even when it came out and now it will continue to go up, bad design and all. I mean its hard to draw comparisons when pairing up signature cards, but if a Star Trek Susan Oliver cut can hit $6,000, what is the potential of a Connery Bond cut?

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
but if a Star Trek Susan Oliver cut can hit $6,000, what is the potential of a Connery Bond cut?

One big difference in Susan Oliver and Sean Connery was that Oliver died 30 years ago, well before the modern boom in autographs was going.

There are a ton more Connery autographs out there than there are Oliver ones.

Posts: 2197 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
but if a Star Trek Susan Oliver cut can hit $6,000, what is the potential of a Connery Bond cut?

One big difference in Susan Oliver and Sean Connery was that Oliver died 30 years ago, well before the modern boom in autographs was going.

There are a ton more Connery autographs out there than there are Oliver ones.

Lots of factors to support anyone's preference, as is usually the case. There is a much larger Star Trek card market as a plus, but Oliver was only a guest star in the first pilot. Most people would have been hard pressed to remember her name before the cut signature. The demand for her autograph was minimal. She certainly wasn't pivotal to the series, but as with Jeffrey Hunter, its a nice official limited card for series fans. Is it worth thousands? To some yes, obviously.

Sean Connery on the other hand is the original James Bond and is certainly a pivotal figure to the series. Despite having many autographs on the market, with a majority being fakes, he never signed an official certified Bond card and its pretty limited. He also had a substantial film career beyond Bond. The minus is the smaller number of Bond card collectors compared to Star Trek and that fact that it is a cut signature, not very well designed or numbered properly. So is it worth thousands? Not when it came out, but it seems to be changing.

By comparison all a collector can say is which cut signature they would rather have, if given the choice of either one. Hands down, I would choose the Connery. I wouldn't pay for it mind you, because I don't go that high for anybody's autograph. Wink It's just a hypothetical discussion for me.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Most recently, a few years ago that is, I bought a David Lynch Twin Peaks autograph card for $400. This was only after I'd bought an "Archive Box" of that entire card series to make sure I'd get that specific card only to end up with what was unfortunately the first of Rittenhouse's archive boxes to be missing numerous cards from the series, a now common practice on their part. Likely due to the complaints of those who'd purchased that item, trusting it'd be similar in content to those previosly released, Rittenhouse now endeavors to list what is not to be included in the loaded boxes before they are released to the public. So in the long run, I overpaid for the Archive Box, but well underpaid for the single Lynch card (the last of 4 different sold for about $400 shortly after the sets release), so it all worked out pretty well, as the Lynch single almost immediately increased in value two-fold to three-fold once people realized how few of those were made.

Second to that would be cases I bought of "Man Who Fell To Earth" and "Iron Man" to get autographs of David Bowie or Downey/Bridges, respectively. Both were about $650 as I recall and I got Bowie and Downey, as I'd wanted. The beauty was I got most of the MWFTE money back selling the sketch cards and printing plates and all (and then some) of the Iron Man money back selling the sketches (way back then) and the Favreau autograph I also pulled (more recently, at the higher value that I think has mostly resulted from his involvement with 'The Mandalorian").

Ultimately, I also sold the Downey for $2,400 about 2 years ago. It seems to have increased in value further in the time since, so it was a good deal for me and the buyer, as it turned out.

I still have the Bowie and the Lynch, and I cherish those. A little short of the numbers for that trio, was the $300 I spent on a Goodwin Champions Stephen King about 3 years ago. That also feels like a pretty good buy.

Most of the other autographs I have were either packed pulled or else purchased as singles for no more than double-digits. I know I've had to pony up a few crisp 50s over this last decade to keep my GoT all signers autograph set current.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I'm not a fickle collector Raven... I'd be hard pressed to move it given my reasons to buy it in the first place and would be too hard to replace.

Nothing to do with being fickle X. What I was trying to say, without coming out and saying it, is that someday the value of that card may be worth more than you can pass up, even as a fan. It's a good option for you to have. Smile

I think it will be a long hard day before I shift my 'cornerstone cards'. Like I said, I'm a big Ford fan and enjoy his work as much, if not more, beyond Indy and Star Wars. Morning Glory is a particular favourite Ford performance.

I think you may be right about the temptation for some collectors to cash in though... a collector in a SW fbook group posted the other day they were contemplating selling their Stellar 2 Ford as one recently sold for $2.5k / $3.1k (incl. export fees) on eBay a couple of weeks ago. Although that one did have the best sig of his I have seen for that release. It's got to be tough knowing when to let these things go if you are tempted... and hard to see these things climb further if you do.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I think it will be a long hard day before I shift my 'cornerstone cards'. Like I said, I'm a big Ford fan and enjoy his work as much, if not more, beyond Indy and Star Wars. Morning Glory is a particular favorite Ford performance.

I think you may be right about the temptation for some collectors to cash in though... a collector in a SW fbook group posted the other day they were contemplating selling their Stellar 2 Ford as one recently sold for $2.5k / $3.1k (incl. export fees) on eBay a couple of weeks ago. Although that one did have the best sig of his I have seen for that release. It's got to be tough knowing when to let these things go if you are tempted... and hard to see these things climb further if you do.

Yeah, I'm not sure that selling a Stellar Ford now for even $3,000, makes sense unless you just need the money. Of course if you have a Stellar Ford to begin with, there's a pretty good chance you don't need the money. Wink

I mean you have to factor in the initial cost and then its not a $3,000 profit at all, more like $1,800 or less. And that card will have plenty of jump in it if it gets high graded or even just as the years go on. It is a "cornerstone" autograph card, unlike many that have prices where I just shake my head and I wonder how the collective can be so foolish. Razz

But once any card gets to be "new automobile" money, and someday at least some of the Ford signatures will make it I'm sure, now that's temptation. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
From what I can see, 2 more of the Sean Connery cut autos from the 2017 Rittenhouse Bond set sold within the past 3 months on ebay in the $ 2,000 range (each).

Still there are 3 or 4 more on ebay now.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
From what I can see, 2 more of the Sean Connery cut autos from the 2017 Rittenhouse Bond set sold within the past 3 months on ebay in the $ 2,000 range (each).

Still there are 3 or 4 more on ebay now.

Bond collectors just haven't warmed up to that card and the demand isn't strong. It's a cut signature and the design was just not well done, but I always thought it was an easy $4,000 and it was under $1,500 for a long while. Maybe it will take a big jump someday. I mean you can't do comparisons with signers and their cards, but when Emilia Clarke cuts are worth triple a Connery cut, you have to wonder a little. Roll Eyes

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Chris Pratt GotG UD steady at $2K

How bout this for stupid.

In August 2021

TZ A56 Jonathan Harris autograph sold for $129.99.

Lost in Space Complete cut of the same card numbered 33 of 50 sold for $2500

Of course there is one out there for $500 and no one is jumping. It is missing the number and someone has slapped a JSA sticker on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
How bout this for stupid.

In August 2021

TZ A56 Jonathan Harris autograph sold for $129.99.

Lost in Space Complete cut of the same card numbered 33 of 50 sold for $2500.

You shouldn't have pointed that out. Wink They're cutting up his TZ cards right now. Twak

I don't understand the appeal of cuts when you already have certified autograph cards available or when the person is still alive and may start signing at any time. Yes, there are a select few living celebrities that you may be confident won't go for it and of course the supply is capped on any deceased individual who may still be in high demand, but these people are the exceptions. Cuts are the cheapest and easiest way for a card maker to produce short printed high value cards out of material that would not sell in its original and generally unauthenticated form.

The only thing worse is when they destroy a nice authenticated piece to create a cut signature card. Shake Head

Connery is one of the exceptions and wasn't signing for RA, but did do something for his book. I don't blame them for the cut, just the lousy design. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A David Lynch autograph card sold for $1599.99 last November.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Most recently, a few years ago that is, I bought a David Lynch Twin Peaks autograph card for $400. This was only after I'd bought an "Archive Box" of that entire card series to make sure I'd get that specific card only to end up with what was unfortunately the first of Rittenhouse's archive boxes to be missing numerous cards from the series, a now common practice on their part. Likely due to the complaints of those who'd purchased that item, trusting it'd be similar in content to those previosly released, Rittenhouse now endeavors to list what is not to be included in the loaded boxes before they are released to the public. So in the long run, I overpaid for the Archive Box, but well underpaid for the single Lynch card (the last of 4 different sold for about $400 shortly after the sets release), so it all worked out pretty well, as the Lynch single almost immediately increased in value two-fold to three-fold once people realized how few of those were made.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post