Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Hall of Fame (An idea that's a lot of work for somebody!)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hall of Fame (An idea that's a lot of work for somebody!)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
I've never seen anyone turn-up their nose up at pulling a Katie Cook sketch. Another fan favorite is Rhianna Owens.
A personal favorite of mine is Ryan Waterhouse, oops sorry we said HOF not Hall of Shame. Wink

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Isn't this what we basically do now with "Card Talk's Greatest Hits"? I think that works just fine.

Posts: 5790 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Did someone say katie cook ? anyone got any their willing to let go ?

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Um... ? If you mean the greatest hits section where people can post pictures of thier favorite sketches in that thread, then that isn't what I had suggested--though the permanency part kind of is. What I had suggested was a kind of double thread, one which would keep a list of the winning selected cards, and the other, a monthly posted poll showcasing up to 5 nominated beauties (pre-selected by someone) which card talk members could then vote on. Only the poll winner, which wouldn't necessarily be a sketch, would make it into the first thread, "The Hall of Fame". The poll cards, obviously, would need to be changed about once a month.

The greatest hits thread is a great place for people to showcase cards and other art which speaks to them, and sometimes only them. "The Hall" would be a place for showcasing cards which speak to us as a community. That is where some of the prestige, and the chase to ever higher levels of quality could take us. In seperating the cardboard from the collectors items, the sketches from the art, and in identifying the innovations which people want against the novelty ideas that we wish would just go away already. I have often said vote with your dollars, but it's a somewhat faded idea in todays 1/1 oriented and sometimes short listed auction market.

This idea doesn't seem to be happening, but if it did, obviously no one would have to participate. No other threads would have to be effected. This idea was just me trying to suggest a bit of fun, and possibly keep some interactivity going on for people in this hobby during the lull between products that interest them. I think we all like cards, and I believe we all like to read about them. Remember, there would be a submitted write up to go along with enteries. Sometimes through the words and thoughts of others, we gain new experiences and learn new things. (How many Britany Spears Pop Century auto's did I see without picking up on the massive variations? How many times have I read about a rare or vintage card in NSU and gone, "hunh, did not know that". How many times have I been at a show and had another collectors passion or great pull excite me?).

If this idea doesn't happen, the hall will likely continue to reside inside boxes stored on bedroom closet floors across this great planet of ours. Just seems like a bit of a shame. If you've got something extremely awesome, why not show it off and see if those like you agree, or if it's beauty is only in the eye of the holder. I like the idea. I'm not going to fight for it, and I certainly don't have the ability or authorization to make it happen, but I like the idea. --Chris

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen her current works lately but I always looked forward to pulling a Cynthia Cummings sketch for LOTR and Star Wars.

Posts: 146 | Location: San Diego | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also enjoy Rich Molinelli works as well. He seems to have his heart in all his works.

Posts: 146 | Location: San Diego | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post