Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Groo cards (Wildstorm, 1996)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Groo cards (Wildstorm, 1996)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Speaking of FPG, they actually issued on of the very first standard sized sketch cards. It was from the Ken Kelly set, but it couldn't be found in packs. It was issued as a case topper.

It came in a nice presentation folder and the card itself was in a top loader.

Posts: 3326 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a cool sketch card.

I try and get my hands on FPG binders when I see them , I have about 15-20, not exactly sure, I will have to count them one day

It would be nice to compile a complete list and see how many more I need to get.

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken Kelly series 2, Bone and Groo sketch cards came out around the same time. Even though all those sketch cards are "simple" compared to the ones out now with full color, those are my favorite ones, probably because they are the "first" ones.

I really like the Ken Kelly 2 sketch cards as a case insert. I have been looking for unusual sketches, like caveman, woman, and anything that isn't a run of the mill barbarian with a weapon.

David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Speaking of FPG, they actually issued on of the very first standard sized sketch cards. It was from the Ken Kelly set, but it couldn't be found in packs. It was issued as a case topper.

It came in a nice presentation folder and the card itself was in a top loader.

what does it say on the back of the white card please?if anything?

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure nothing.

But honestly you don't want to take the card out of the nice "frame" and it is sealed in a wrap. All that is in a nice white envelope with the ken Kelly logo on the front.

I would only get it as a complete "set" and left sealed because I can still enjoy the sketch by looking through the "window".

David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The back of the card is blank. It does looks superb in the frame. I also have the outer envelope, and definitely all the pieces of this should be kept together, especially if re-selling is the intention.

The whole thing really is top notch, but FPG always went the extra mile with their case toppers. Often, they were uncut 10 card panels autographed by the artist, and those too, came in great looking packaging that also served to protect the sheet perfectly.

Still, this sketch incentive from a master like Ken Kelly has to constitute the best incentive they ever offered. Too bad, the casetop sketch idea wasn't extended to other series.

I do remember there were redemption cards for original comic art(!) from Michael Ploog in the great FPG series that was made for him around the same time as the Ken Kelly sets.

The FPG card binder albums were also extremely high quality and were among the first to include a unique binder incentive card, with those often signed by the artist of the series the binder was for.

They weren't around long, but they made some great stuff while they were here. The Steranko series is a highlight for me, as he's long been one of my favorite artists. It didn't hurt that I found one of the Steranko autographs in literally the FIRST pack I ever opened from that series, and it was on one of the Shadow cover cards no less, which is some of my favorite of all of Steranko the Great's work.

Posts: 3326 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is something special about the 1st few sketch cards that were made back in the day!I do have a Bone one which is very basic on a white card.it does say its one of 100 that Jeff Smith done.I bought a sealed case of this a few years ago for a bargain price.even though its very simple.it does have a special place in my collection! Smile

And those Ken Kelly sketch cards are awesome.I will have too pick one up if I can??thanks for the info and the pics

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by simpsonscardman:
There is something special about the 1st few sketch cards that were made back in the day!I do have a Bone one which is very basic on a white card.it does say its one of 100 that Jeff Smith done.I bought a sealed case of this a few years ago for a bargain price.even though its very simple.it does have a special place in my collection! Smile

And those Ken Kelly sketch cards are awesome.I will have too pick one up if I can??thanks for the info and the pics

I like the Bone sketch cards too. For me, I wish the images were different from card to card instead of all being the same.

Groo's sketches are all different or at least there is plenty of variation between the cards that I have seen.

David

posted Hide Post
quote:
The back of the card is blank. It does looks superb in the frame. I also have the outer envelope, and definitely all the pieces of this should be kept together, especially if re-selling is the intention.

The whole thing really is top notch, but FPG always went the extra mile with their case toppers. Often, they were uncut 10 card panels autographed by the artist, and those too, came in great looking packaging that also served to protect the sheet perfectly.

Still, this sketch incentive from a master like Ken Kelly has to constitute the best incentive they ever offered. Too bad, the casetop sketch idea wasn't extended to other series.

I do remember there were redemption cards for original comic art(!) from Michael Ploog in the great FPG series that was made for him around the same time as the Ken Kelly sets.

The FPG card binder albums were also extremely high quality and were among the first to include a unique binder incentive card, with those often signed by the artist of the series the binder was for.

They weren't around long, but they made some great stuff while they were here. The Steranko series is a highlight for me, as he's long been one of my favorite artists. It didn't hurt that I found one of the Steranko autographs in literally the FIRST pack I ever opened from that series, and it was on one of the Shadow cover cards no less, which is some of my favorite of all of Steranko the Great's work.

I like the 10 Ups. Those sets that had 10-Ups, all but one had folders. Hescox was the only one that didn't have a special folder. There were either 9 or 10 different 10 Ups for each set FPG did that had 10-Ups.

Yep, those redemption prizes were cool, Mike Ploog comic pages, Ken Kelly series 1 sketches and painting, Achilleos painting and sketches, Rowena painting, Roger Dean painting

I also liked Steranko, unfortunately, he didn't autograph any of the Indiana Jones cards in the set. All 4 of the Indy cards were landscape and he didn't autograph landscape cards.

David

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi all!

I just bought a collection of Groo Trading Cards an hour ago. I googled it in the thriftshop. This seems to be the best place getting info about the cards. I have 135 card total, 2 chasers (i think) IG-2 and IG-6, and some of the cards are duplicates.

Was it a good purchase? Payed 30 swedish kronas for them - 3.5 US dollar.

I would like to know more about the cards, but there is so little info.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frashannes,

Posts: 2 | Location: Sweden | Registered: December 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Szym
posted Hide Post
http://nslists.com/groo.htm

This should help you, Frashannes.

Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
People still seem to be selling the base sets at $ 50 each, and the 9 chase cards at $20-25 per card, from what I can see

Posts: 4717 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

The list is nice, but the link in groo.com/groocard.html is broken. That is the CardJones.com-link....

quote:
Originally posted by Szym:
http://nslists.com/groo.htm

This should help you, Frashannes.

Posts: 2 | Location: Sweden | Registered: December 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hate it when that happens. The link worked in 2002 ...

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just noticed that an official FPG Steranko autograph card sold for just $14.99 on June 5. The auction is here and you can see it for maybe just a few more weeks but I'm also embedding a link to the image so it can be seen here after that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12475...rksid=p2047675.l2557

It's a fantastic piece for The Shadow. I've always really liked Steranko's work too including his 80's-90's pop culture magazine, "Prevue," (orignally, "Mediascene") which stood out against other movie magazines at the time.

Jess

quote:

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice deal on that Steranko.
I have the card I mentioned, plus several other Steranko 'graphs, so I don't actively seek more of them, but had I seen that auction, I'd have bid at least $20 for it.

The Steranko set also had an unusual insert card configuration for an FPG Artist showcase set. The vast majority of them featured a 5 or 6 card foil enhanced chase set (in addition to 500 or 1,000 autograph cards), but the Steranko set featured 12 cards, as they presented the 70's era "Steranko's Supergirls" calendar subjects, which were scantily clad female versions of the most famous super-heroes. The card versions were edited to a PG rating (by Steranko himself) compared to the original illustrations which have nudity, but it is nevertheless one of the most beautiful non-sports chase sets ever issued. Even after the autograph pull, I kept buying boxes to finish that set (no Ebay back then), and got lucky there, too, only ending up with only a few doubles before I'd found all 12 (they were seeded only three per box).

A few years later, Steranko had some of the oversized vintage uncensored calendar pages on sale at Comic-Con and I was delighted to add a few of those to my collection, and with free autographs on them!