Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Rittenhouse (and others) Factory Sets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse (and others) Factory Sets
 Login/Join

Picture of AWR
posted
After seeing the 17 Card Rittenhouse Green Hornet Set being graded and listed on the auction site for a high value, was wondering if other limited edition sets (Star Trek 50th, Star Trek Enterprise, Brady Bunch, The Muppet Show,..) will start to show up for sale as well at high values. Did people buy these sets when they were released thinking they would hold them for years and then sell them at high proffit

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Conan Expansion set put out by Rittenhouse in 2009 has been steadily going up in value, but in small increments. The Green Hornet set is a unique situation in that it just happens to have the only certified autograph card of an Asian pop-sensation. And that collector base has helped drive the the value sky-high. No other card set has anything comparable that I'm aware of.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
Did people buy these sets when they were released thinking they would hold them for years and then sell them at high proffit

Just my feeling, but I don't think that high profits was ever the motive for too many non-sport card collectors. Yeah they want card collections with value, everyone does, but you have to sell to make money. If you still like your cards, you aren't selling until something else happens.

Flippers don't want to hold them to age into profits either. They want their money back with interest as soon as possible.

Agreeing with Logan, the Green Hornet set increase is really only because of the Jay Chou autograph card. It was bought as a factory unit.

I could think of similar small products like RA's Buffy sets or the first Hulk movie cards that were also bought as factory units. I haven't heard if they are going up as sets, but Edward Norton's signature card appears to have risen in price.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
The Spider-Man original Animated series seems to be moving as well. Still hasn't hit what retail was back in the day but it is going up.

I picked up one of the Muppet sets for pretty cheap recently.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post