Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What New set should I collect next
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What New set should I collect next
 Login/Join

posted
OK I know I should collect what I like , I just want input from others

I have only ever collected x-files cards which I have master sets of , (well missing 1 cards which is not listed anywhere it may have been a prototype card as I have never seen it for sale & have only seen a picture of it )

Anyway I have just started collecting boxes ie fringe, big bang, & true blood ...
But I like busting boxes so I am after a new set to start on.
I was going to do fringe but I don't like my chances of ever getting a redemption card
I am after a set which only has say max 10 autos & 10 other chase/prop/costume etc.. cards
As I want to be able to get a master set of it one day . So what would you recommend I try to get. I don't want to collect more TV show at a time

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hosie,

Posts: 48 | Location: Australia | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I honestly can't think of any new releases that fit that description Frown .The trend nowadays is for much higher numbers of autos and costumes in a set or have sketch cards as well.

Maybe your best bet is to look at some of the releases from years ago that Inkworks did.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Lost series from Inkworks might fit your bill..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
If you are a master set builder, I would stick with television or movies rather than sketch based sets. Artist rosters for sketches tend to be over 100 (some with very small numbers of sketches), which makes it almost impossible (and very expensive) to get a sketch from every artist.

Star Trek Voyager is about to be released and might fit your bill - all the main cast signed. There will be more than 10 autos but the common autos are likely to be fairly cheap and/or easy to find in boxes. Warehouse 13 sets also have excellent autograph rosters but they are premium packs so probably don't meet your 'box breaking is fun' requirement.

Another option is to go back to older sets. Many Inkworks boxes are generally very cheap (eg Lost) but some have redemptions. The redemptions are disappointing to pull but that's why they are cheap and the cards are generally buyable. Also Stargate Atlantis has several seasons at reasonable prices and no redemptions. You would have to use eBay or similar for case incentive cards though.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hosie:

I am after a set which only has say max 10 autos & 10 other chase/prop/costume etc.. cards
As I want to be able to get a master set of it one day . So what would you recommend I try to get.

Night of the living dead......Unstoppable cards.

Avengers 50th anniversary....Unstoppable cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfie,

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Many collectors are asking for more, not less, in a set so its hard to think of new releases that have such short "hit" lists.

The Big Bang Season Seasons 1 & 2 had only eleven autographs and then material cards. Problem is all 5 of the main stars are short printed and will cost big time.

Walking Dead First Season had a short autograph list and then material cards. However there are random sketches and the boxes are now costly and hard to find.

The Avengers Assemble have a very short and ultra rare autograph list, plus many costume cards, and randomly placed sketches. Mega bucks completing that one.

Anything else I can think of is premium packs, Warehouse 13, Eureka, Spartacus etc. They have the advantage of no costumes or sketches to collect, and the autographs are reasonably affordable, with Spartacus being the most expensive to complete I would guess.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Night of the living dead......Cult-stuff.

Avengers 50th anniversary....Unstoppable cards.
I think you meant:

Night of the living dead......Unstoppable cards

Both sets are from Unstoppable. However, while the base, chase and autos will be easy to track down and complete both also feature sketch cards that are going to be quite a bit harder to track down if the OP is after a complete Master Set.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:

I think you meant:

Thats what i said........he lied. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Also take a look at the sets available from Cult-Stuff, these tend to be small and compact.

A lot depends on if you want sketch cards, without the sketches the sets should be easy and fun to collect.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:

I think you meant:

Thats what i said........he lied. Big Grin
Of couse you did Wolfie....I believe you...honest Big Grin Angel Sorry, forgot the smileys in my earlier post Twak

And on a slightly more serious note for the OP, Cult-Stuff do have some interesting sets that are not too expensive. The only complication in putting together Master Sets as there are so many little bits mixed in with each release that it can be hard to work out exactly what is needed to make one.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
+1 on the releases from Cult Stuff. Their product is top shelf and I love the fact that you can buy a "box", get a complete base set and some cool inserts, then have fun chasing down the other insert cards that interest you. Cool

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't really mind if there are more than 10 autos & a limited / redemption, I did finally get the dual x-files card after all
just dont want to have to buy the 5 expensive card form the bay
I would like to buy a case so that sort of rules out walking dead
I bought cases to make most of the x-files sets

might have to try the older sets

Posts: 48 | Location: Australia | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salama
posted Hide Post
I think You need to find out what kind of cards You really like, and based from that You can start to collect and build.

Personally I dont need a master set of something I collect, for me that is not a "must", I try to get the cards I like most and I like to collect something on a long term goal, but I understand everyone who wants a master set. It seems like many wants all cards right away.
The fun in collecting is most important.

Posts: 188 | Location: Finland | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
don't know how hard cases are to find of them these days, but how about putting a master set together of Firefly and Serenity? Just to be a little different from most of the suggestions around Razz

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salama:
I think You need to find out what kind of cards You really like, and based from that You can start to collect and build.

Personally I dont need a master set of something I collect, for me that is not a "must", I try to get the cards I like most and I like to collect something on a long term goal, but I understand everyone who wants a master set. It seems like many wants all cards right away.

I have been collecting anything to do with x-files for 17 years & I had to chase/wait for 2 x-files cards for over 12 before I found them. So its not so much a time factor for me
I am a completist

Picture of Salama
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Salama:

I have been collecting anything to do with x-files for 17 years & I had to chase/wait for 2 x-files cards for over 12 before I found them. So its not so much a time factor for me
I am a completist

Wow 17 years, congrats. You must have some great collection of X-files. I understand You like to try collecting something else. Try and get some promo lots, maybe You can based from that find out something, promo cards tell a lot of the set.

Posts: 188 | Location: Finland | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK I know I should collect what I like , I just want input from others

I have only ever collected x-files cards which I have master sets of , (well missing 1 cards which is not listed anywhere it may have been a prototype card as I have never seen it for sale & have only seen a picture of it )

Anyway I have just started collecting boxes ie fringe, big bang, & true blood ...
But I like busting boxes so I am after a new set to start on.
I was going to do fringe but I don't like my chances of ever getting a redemption card
As I want to be able to get a master set of it one day . So what would you recommend I try to get. I don't want to collect more TV show at a time

I'm an X-Files completest too, but I kinda gave up in the last years of Inkworks series. I think I'm missing a couple of autograph cards and maybe a pieceworks or two.

Do you only complete sets from the main manufacturers? Or do you try to collect all X-Files cards (ccg/dvd/promos/misc.)?

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am a completist

Oh, scratch last question above. I've been collecting X-Files from the very beginning of the series. I'm sure if we compared collections, we'd both see that we're missing quite a few cards. See my last post in the X-Files thread in this section.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't really mind if there are more than 10 autos & a limited / redemption, I did finally get the dual x-files card after all
just dont want to have to buy the 5 expensive card form the bay
I would like to buy a case so that sort of rules out walking dead
I bought cases to make most of the x-files sets

might have to try the older sets

I use to buy a case of X-Files myself. Only series that I've bought cases of. I don't normally go after autographs and pieceworks for other series.

Love The Walking Dead, but won't chase any series like I did with the X-Files.

I'm not a die hard "card" collector like most here. I'm happy with just one sketch card for series I like. I prefer meeting actors for their autographs.

posted Hide Post
"Oh, scratch last question above. I've been collecting X-Files from the very beginning of the series. I'm sure if we compared collections, we'd both see that we're missing quite a few cards. See my last post in the X-Files thread in this section."

The only english x-files trading cards (not video cards )I dont own is the series 3 by merlin UK & prototype cards