Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Best way to sell large(ish) collection
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to sell large(ish) collection
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted
After a long time thinking I've come to the decision that I'm going to sell most if not all of my collection and was wondering the best way to do it.

The options I'm thinking of is contacting dealers to see what the interest would be, breaking it up and selling on Ebay or on here.

And also how to get the best price. any help/advice would be very welcome.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
If you want to get the most money for your cards you will probably best selling on ebay or on here, don't forget if you want to sell on here you need to pay the fee.

A dealer may well buy all your cards but will only be intrested in the top end stuff and only then at a price he can make a profit on so a quick way to dispose of your collection but not the best price wise.

All your James Bond cards you can just put in a box and send to me. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
As I am sure you know, disposal of card collections has been a common topic on Card Talk over the years. The advice and the options available have not really changed. Each has a negative and positive side. If you look back into the old threads, you will probably find the same advice that you are likely to get now. Big Grin

There are a few questions you must realistically answer before deciding your best option. The first one is, how much of my card collection is in demand? Meaning, are there ready buyers out there? We all think are cards are terrific and are shocked when a dealer says he/she doesn't want them because they will only collect dust in their basement. Yeah, I've heard that one myself.

Not to go on forever, a dealer will give you pennies on the dollar, but you will get rid of it fast. That is assuming he/she will take all or part of it. They may not want anything. It's a business to them and I really don't blame them. They will want only what they know is a quick turnaround.

Selling directly to other collectors will get you the most money and probably the most work, especially if you go the ebay route. It's easier to make up larger lots of related type cards. That may get you someone who has a new interest, but it also discourages more seasoned collectors. Remember that someone who collects a particular title or type of product probably has most of the same cards you have in that title or type, so they may want only singles, but not lots or groupings. If you sell the cards individually you will probably realize better prices, but all those other related commons and many inserts may as well go into the trash.

Consignments are another option that is less work for you, but you will lose more of a percentage bite to the consigner. You also have to find the right consigner and watch out for details in the agreement. Typically a consigner is even more picky than a dealer, so you have to have cards that are worth the work to them too.

Other recommendations are garage sales, flea markets, shows and ads. A table at a card show might be good, at least you have card buyers, but where do you find a local show now? Garage sales and flea markets don't work well because most people coming in have no interest in cards. Ads, same thing, ads where?

It's not all doom and gloom. If you have cards in demand and you pulled them or bought them cheap early, you can still make money on them individually or even as sets. Float the idea with other collectors you have come across. Contact them by their email, if you can find it listed. Depending on what you are holding, some will turn a nice profit if you sell to a collector.

However the larger your collection, the more cards you are going to have that will be deemed without enough merit to sale. Either throw them away, give them away to kids or friends, or dump them in a local thrift shop for pennies and maybe they will find their way to someone who actually enjoys them.

I do always tell collectors that, unless you really need the money or the space, you shouldn't get rid of your card collection just because you may have lost the feeling. You can just stand pat and not buy for awhile and see if it is permanent. Passion comes and goes and things change and change back. Make sure you are really out before you sell everything. Lots of luck. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
AJJ - is that your current email address in your profile?

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
AJJ - is that your current email address in your profile?

It is now, I've just changed it.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started selling my collection through evilbay a year ago, ive sold about 2/3rds so far only another 200 odd to go!
The bay will get you the best possible price but it is a huge amount of work and a lot of hassle.
If you dont need the money, keep the majority of your cards. If you just want rid of them, try selling direct to a collecter or sell them as large lots on the bay.
If you want the most money and have time to spare sell them individually as bin's on the bay.

If you go down the evilbay route a few tips.

1) Buy a Royal Mail Size guide. You can use this to make sure you meet the posting size guides. Never send as a letter as the max size if 5mm. Always send in a large letter jiffy in a top loader.

2) Check out all the fees. Even if you snatch a free listing you still pay 10% on the sale price and postage, then theres also paypal fees as well. I forget paypals fees but its a fixed amount plus a percentage.

3) Postage. Only charge the correct postage. Nothing upsets buyers more than high postage.

4) Use Best offers. You can check out the buyer before accepting an offer which is really useful. But make sure you use the auto reject bids below a certain amount feature, as you will get swamped by really stupid bids.

5) Clearly describe the item and any defects it has. Yes I have had someone buy a costume card thinking it was an actual full size costume.

6) Take advantage of the cheap listing offers, these are usually on a sunday and are hidden away at the bottom of the sellers page and need to be activated. The sell for max £1 is a huge saving for expensive cards.

7) The Global shipping centre is excellent for sellers, but always send tracked there. I have had several packages go "missing" when posted there.

8) If you prize your 100% feedback rating dont use evilbay.

9) Most base cards, promo cards, chase sets etc. just arnt worth selling. Bin them, keep them, give to charity etc.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. In general people buying trading cards are a lovely bunch.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
You can also try a site like
https://www.comc.com/Cards/Non-Sports

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Recently, I was thinking of selling my complete run of the first 5 years of Walking Dead comic books, which I started buying when they first began, years before they became popular and started going for hundreds of dollars

I contacted one major place in New York that advertised that they bought collections, but they told me that I would have to DRIVE to their warehouse, hours away, on a weekday only, and they would look at my comics

Another major place in Arizona told me to email scans of each comic-- several hundred-- for them to review

I thought it would be easier to get rid of these ! Frown

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In UK? There's a couple of dealers will buy joblots but you'll probably get a fraction of the value. Probably better to contact collectors direct (hint: send me a list) and try selling off that way. EBay can be a bit of a lottery these days and then there's all the extra surcharges and such on top.

Posts: 288 | Location: Behind the sofa! | Registered: April 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I thought it would be easier to get rid of these ! Frown

It never is. Wait until they start talking about grade deductions because there is a floating ink dot somewhere. Big Grin

Seriously, the #1 WD has sold for thousands and the title is in demand, so you should find a dealer that is more interested than that. Call around to hobby stores in the area and see if you can find a local dealer or collector. If not, put them up with a high BIN you know where and adjust as you get offers. You might want to think about having the earliest ones graded. That seems to increase interest with some comic collectors. Good luck.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
I've had some interested parties via email and if anyone else wants a list I'm working on it.

Best estimate is: 250+ autograph cards, 100+ costume/props, 120+sketchs (pack inserted and customs). Eight official binders plus hundreds of base, chase and promos. Properties include Buffy, Angel,Star Trek, Stargate(SG1&Atlantis), Family Guy, Charmed, Dexter, NCIS, Doctor Who, Heroes, Big Bang, Supernatural and many more.

So it make take a while to complete the list.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Quist:
In UK? There's a couple of dealers will buy joblots but you'll probably get a fraction of the value. Probably better to contact collectors direct (hint: send me a list) and try selling off that way. EBay can be a bit of a lottery these days and then there's all the extra surcharges and such on top.

Once I have the list I'll sent you a copy.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
AJJ feel free to send me a list also. Wavey

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AJJ:
quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Quist:

Once I have the list I'll sent you a copy.

Much obliged.

Posts: 288 | Location: Behind the sofa! | Registered: April 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
AJJ feel free to send me a list also. Wavey

Will do wolfie.

I've written the list of auto cards, just need to type it up and I've a ton of photo's of pretty much everything.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
I've sent out the auto list to everyone, if I missed you let me know. The photo's of the costumes, prop and sketch is taking a little longer.

posted Hide Post
Not had any mail from you.
Try minigiles.sp@gmail.com

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Will sent it tomorrow.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Could you send me a list please?

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Wavey
Could I also get a copy of the list please AJJ.
Thanks!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post