Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    So I think I am done collecting for now.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I think I am done collecting for now.
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
Comic books shops should be able to order boxes for you from Diamond if you ask even if they don't normally sell them.
I used to shop at Calamity Comics in Harrow and they never had problems on the odd occasion I asked. It wasn't very often I asked as there were other, cheaper, options at the time.

Thanks for the info and advice Raj! Thumb Up

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
With all this talk of Funko's, I wonder if Beckett will make a Funko Almanac or maybe a quarterly-type Funko price guide magazine.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
But now they have Funkos by the case load. Wink

These Funkos are going to go bust big time and anyone who thinks it can be turned into their business model is in for closure. Doesn't anybody learn from history? We have had numerous fads before, but as the seller, you have to get in early, make your money, and get out early before it all goes downhill.

They've already been around for 20 years, so it's too late for them to be just a fad, I think...

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Funko's have been around a while but the last 24 months have seen the amount of product available multiply considerably

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Gosh it's been quite a long time since I've visited this site. Have barely collected over the last 6 years, but still own my collection.

I am quite big into Funko Pops these days, like I think many other card collectors are. As these are everywhere and in your face all the time, you can see what is being released. I haven't heard about any upcoming Card sets, so figured I would drop in to check things out. New X-Files and a Twin Peaks set. They look interesting. The last set I bought was Orphan Black, so it has been a year since I have purchased any.

Don't know If I will get back into collecting, but would like to go over what I have and fill in some of the gaps.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Funko's have been around a while but the last 24 months have seen the amount of product available multiply considerably

We were at Megacon in Orlando a few weeks ago and I was shocked to see how many pops were there. Thousands, maybe tens of thousands. . . it was insane -- it didn't seem like you could walk more than 3 booths in the dealer area without seeing Pops on a table. I remember there being Pops at the show last year, but not like this year.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
But now they have Funkos by the case load. Wink

These Funkos are going to go bust big time and anyone who thinks it can be turned into their business model is in for closure. Doesn't anybody learn from history? We have had numerous fads before, but as the seller, you have to get in early, make your money, and get out early before it all goes downhill.

They've already been around for 20 years, so it's too late for them to be just a fad, I think...

I believe you, but they only exploded in the last 12 - 18 months. I certainly was not aware of them before that and now they are everywhere I go. Perhaps its because the stores have made the displays more prominent and they sure have bought tons of them. Also Marvel and DC movies took off and you have those characters attracting new business.

Nevertheless, this explosion is a fad and the overproduction of figures can not be absorbed.

Beanie Babies ran for a long time at peak. Magic CCG ran for a long time at peak. Collectible plates and those little Mcfarlene sports figures ran for a long time at peak. Upper Deck sports cards ran for a long time at peak. Eventually the peak subsides for the next great thing.

Just yesterday I went to my LHS and the sale signs were up for $5.99. Funkos and assorted Funko-like figures are taking up space that is needed for newer items. I'm not saying Funkos will go out of business, they will still make them, and I'm not saying certain older or more popular figures won't hold their value on the secondary market. I am saying that by mass producing Funkos far beyond their demand, they are going the way of all those other hot collectibles I named and a hundred others I didn't. It's a proven cycle, and we never learn from history, so we are always doomed to repeat it.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's a proven cycle, and we never learn from history, so we are always doomed to repeat it.

....and those that do learn can only stand by helplessly as everyone else repeats it.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
The ghastly little plastic things before funko were bobbleheads. I confess in a moment of madness I got a LOTR Boromir bobblehead. I think I came to my senses, realized how ugly it was and soon moved it on about a year later at no loss....but now, even a charity shop probably wouldn't want it.

If something is well made and has a bit of class it will always be kept or appreciated on the secondary market. Unless you can melt down these funko rubbish and make something useful out of them, then I see no long term future.

Over ten years on, I do not regret selling my Boromir bobblehead...however I am very much still in love with my Boromir Sideshow statues and his sword. Smile

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I normally collect "Simpsons" items, whatever they are, but boy, I wish I hadn't missed out on the Pops of Homer and Bart (which I think are the only two they ever made). Those are worth a good amount of money now.

I don't have many, but all the ones I still have, I got from my comic subscription service, so they were 30% off as pre-orders.

I did buy a Rorschach Pop (which came out around the time of the "Watchmen" movie, so that must've been 2009) and I sold that for around $100 a few years ago.

I also bought a few exclusives from Funimation! at Comic Con in 2015 and 2016, having no idea who any of the anime characters on them were, and made an easy couple hundred bucks on them, so that's a nice memory.

Since then, for myself, I bought Patty from "The Leftovers" (HBO series), Professor Farnsworth from "Futurama", and Laura Palmer Wrapped in Plastic from "Twin Peaks" as those were too cool not to have. I ordered a Ron Swanson from "Parks and Rec" but never got it, and was credited. They're also quite late on a David S. Pumpkins (Tom Hanks on SNL) I ordered, so I don't know if I'll be getting that one, or be credited for it, too. More recently, I ordered a Stefon (Bill Hader) from "SNL", so I hope to get that one. The one for "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark" looks pretty cool, too.

I think what this line really has going for it, is the vast array of different licenses. There really is something for everyone.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I normally collect "Simpsons" items, whatever they are, but boy, I wish I hadn't missed out on the Pops of Homer and Bart (which I think are the only two they ever made). Those are worth a good amount of money now.

I don't have many, but all the ones I still have, I got from my comic subscription service, so they were 30% off as pre-orders.

I did buy a Rorschach Pop (which came out around the time of the "Watchmen" movie, so that must've been 2009) and I sold that for around $100 a few years ago.

I also bought a few exclusives from Funimation! at Comic Con in 2015 and 2016, having no idea who any of the anime characters on them were, and made an easy couple hundred bucks on them, so that's a nice memory.

Since then, for myself, I bought Patty from "The Leftovers" (HBO series), Professor Farnsworth from "Futurama", and Laura Palmer Wrapped in Plastic from "Twin Peaks" as those were too cool not to have. I ordered a Ron Swanson from "Parks and Rec" but never got it, and was credited. They're also quite late on a David S. Pumpkins (Tom Hanks on SNL) I ordered, so I don't know if I'll be getting that one, or be credited for it, too. More recently, I ordered a Stefon (Bill Hader) from "SNL", so I hope to get that one. The one for "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark" looks pretty cool, too.

I think what this line really has going for it, is the vast array of different licenses. There really is something for everyone.

They are making new Simpsons Pops soon if you want the figures...I know there will be a Bartman, Maggie, Lisa and a different version of Homer, dressed in disguise I think.

To me the great thing about Pops is they do get some licences that really have limited other merchandise. I love my set of pops from Friends, The 100 and Orphan Black. You just don't see much from these licences, so it's nice to have a small set that represents them.

I think a lot of collectors make the mistake of having to own everything released in a line. If they miss out on something they just dump the entire collection. I've seen this happen with trading card collectors and it certainly happens with pop collectors. Where non sport trading companies have made the mistake of making the top teir cards dealer incentives, Funko have made the top wanted pops Con limited number exclusives. It is alienating much of the original fanbase as now the flippers have come in. I had no issues picking up con exclusives 3 years ago, now you've gotta buy on the day of release for fear of missing out altogether.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
FUNKO might be a fad but it is opened collecting to a whole new generation. I got pulled in for the POPs of the 80's movies I love and the Disney, Star Wars and Hanna-Barbara cartoons I love. I have 2700 of the little buggers now some I love more then others but they can move fast on a trend like Stranger Things. over two years later and we are finally getting a card set while I have 50 POPs for it already.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Having sat here through this thread thinking well you won't get me buying these things i have just opened a box to find out i have two of them and i never knew and yes that does sum up my collection. Big Grin

I have these...

pop movies Predator 31

pop marvel Deadpool 29, PX previews exclusive

I have no idea where i had these from. Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Having sat here through this thread thinking well you won't get me buying these things i have just opened a box to find out i have two of them and i never knew and yes that does sum up my collection. Big Grin

I have these...

pop movies Predator 31

pop marvel Deadpool 29, PX previews exclusive

I have no idea where i had these from. Big Grin

ONE OF US!!! ONE OF US!!!!

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post