Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    2013 Topps 75th Anniversary Modern Gloss variant Question ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2013 Topps 75th Anniversary Modern Gloss variant Question ...
 Login/Join

posted
Okay, so i have been on the quest since 2014 to complete the 8-Card-Master-Set of the #97 Terminator 2 card ...

For all 100 base cards there are 7 parallels (I'll ignore the useless Topps Vault Blank-Back cards), which are ...

Rainbow Foil,
Diamond Sparkle /75
Modern Gloss /10
Black Print Plate 1/1
Magenta Print Plate 1/1
Cyan Print Plate 1/1
Yellow Print Plate 1/1

Now, i just picked up my second plate & i finally got my hands on a glossy. Upon inspection, i can not discern any difference from the front when compared to the base card & the rear when compared to the Rainbow Foil & Diamond Sparkle. It seems like a bit of a rort ...

Obviously the glossy has the stamped serial number on the rear, but apart from that it does not seem any more 'glossier' than the comparisons that i have mentioned ...

Could just be my eyes & there could be a slight difference upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass. However, this would defeat the purpose if such extremes need to be taken to view the difference Frown

If anyone has the Yellow/Cyan T2 plates, please hit me up! (might as well ask lol)

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was lucky to pull the Modern Glossy of the #85, Masters of the Universe, card along with one of the regular base card. It's not a difference that you see with a magnifying glass. It's a reflective quality difference. If you hold both of the them next to each other under a light and you turn the front surfaces toward the light, you will see a brighter reflection of light from the glossy. The regular base card surface is duller so the light doesn't really reflect much.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Tonyz:
Okay, so i have been on the quest since 2014 to complete the 8-Card-Master-Set of the #97 Terminator 2 card ...

For all 100 base cards there are 7 parallels (I'll ignore the useless Topps Vault Blank-Back cards), which are ...

Rainbow Foil,
Diamond Sparkle /75
Modern Gloss /10
Black Print Plate 1/1
Magenta Print Plate 1/1
Cyan Print Plate 1/1
Yellow Print Plate 1/1

Now, i just picked up my second plate & i finally got my hands on a glossy. Upon inspection, i can not discern any difference from the front when compared to the base card & the rear when compared to the Rainbow Foil & Diamond Sparkle. It seems like a bit of a rort ...

Obviously the glossy has the stamped serial number on the rear, but apart from that it does not seem any more 'glossier' than the comparisons that i have mentioned ...

Could just be my eyes & there could be a slight difference upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass. However, this would defeat the purpose if such extremes need to be taken to view the difference Frown

If anyone has the Yellow/Cyan T2 plates, please hit me up! (might as well ask lol)

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a reflective quality difference. If you hold both of the them next to each other under a light and you turn the front surfaces toward the light, you will see a brighter reflection of light from the glossy. The regular base card surface is duller so the light doesn't really reflect much.

Well this will still fall under my caveat :P

"However, this would defeat the purpose if such extremes need to be taken to view the difference Frown"

I think Topps could've made them much more shiny looking to the naked eye. Or perhaps i was expecting too much :S

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I think I have 3 or 4 of the modern glossy cards and you are right it is a strange progression for the set. Base, Rainbow and Diamond all seem to rise above the previous tier and then Modern Gloss drops off to something unremarkable. There are subtle differences but the magic is pretty much in the number.

Over all this is one of my favorite sets but my biggest complaint was about the terrible autograph card designs.

Posts: 4844 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Tonyz:
[QUOTE]It's a reflective quality difference. If you hold both of the them next to each other under a light and you turn the front surfaces toward the light, you will see a brighter reflection of light from the glossy. The regular base card surface is duller so the light doesn't really reflect much.

Yeah for a short-print it is lacking. I would've preferred parallels of /99, /75, /50, /25, /10, /5 + the 4 print plates ...

It's a little "Top Heavy" for me with two easy cards, one moderate, one ultra rare & 4 1/1s. I guess you could say that the set isn't really designed to be collected this way. But still ...