Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    startrek.coms shop doenst know its own cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

startrek.coms shop doenst know its own cards
 Login/Join

Picture of AWR
posted
Saw this on the StarTrek.com website

http://store.startrek.com/prod...d-set-5-signed-cards

Arn't these cards from the 35th Aniversery Set

I find it sad when the Oficial Star Trek Site doenst even know what it is selling

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Whatever they're calling it, that's a good deal!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes they are from the 35th Anniversary and its not a bad deal if you need them.

However there is a very big difference in the prices between the Original series cards and this set, even on common cards. The Originals were a Fleer/Skybox product, not RA. Anybody who knows the ST cards won't be confused, but they still should correct it.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks AWR. Just went autograph shopping to the tune of $260. $200 for the autographs and $60 for shipping to Canada. Still a good deal. Mike

Posts: 18 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
$60 shipping...!!!
ANyway, I don't thinkthey are trying to pass them off as SKyBox TOS series, I think they are breaking it down into what tv sow is it from..in this case..TOS.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ekim2528:
Thanks AWR. Just went autograph shopping to the tune of $260. $200 for the autographs and $60 for shipping to Canada. Still a good deal. Mike

THAT explains why there's no more in stock. Roll Eyes

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Wow those are some nice sets I had to pick up the DS9 and Enterprise sets...also cant beat 6 bucks for the legends sets.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They still have the 4 card Enterprise package left (14.99) and the 4 card DS9 set (59.99) Mike

Posts: 18 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanoElMano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
quote:
Originally posted by ekim2528:

THAT explains why there's no more in stock. Roll Eyes

Sorry about that. I also purchased a set just after I saw the original post. Shipping alone on the 35th Ann. set was $18 to Canada. Even at that rate it was still less than $10 per card. Besides, my 35th Anniversary set now has its first 5 autos.

Posts: 44 | Location: Canada, below the 49th. | Registered: July 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
To bad most of the cards went to trash dealers who dumped them on the bay for 5 times the price they paid. Very Weak...

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cline:
To bad most of the cards went to trash dealers who dumped them on the bay for 5 times the price they paid. Very Weak...

Its first come first served last time I heard...

...and any collector could buy and flip just as quickly as any dealer. Except a dealer making money and staying in business is arguably more beneficial for the hobby.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:

...and any collector could buy and flip just as quickly as any dealer. Except a dealer making money and staying in business is arguably more beneficial for the hobby.

Or they could help others in the hobby by telling others about such a good sale. Or Rittenhouse could have told us as well. Good thing I didnt lead by their example when I found out about the LLAP cards from Mr. Nimoy. I was more them happy to let others know so that they could fill a hole in their sets. I know that many dealers are trying to rape buyers for this card now but hopefully the price for that card will stabilize so that real fans and people in our hobby can get them.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:

Or they could help others in the hobby by telling others about such a good sale. Or Rittenhouse could have told us as well. Good thing I didnt lead by their example when I found out about the LLAP cards from Mr. Nimoy. I was more them happy to let others know so that they could fill a hole in their sets. I know that many dealers are trying to rape buyers for this card now but hopefully the price for that card will stabilize so that real fans and people in our hobby can get them.

I agree that it would be great if collectors who really wanted them could have first dibs, but there is no practical way to work that. Who gets them is just down to opportunity and blind luck and somebody will always miss out.
But so what if a dealer gets them? Whether a collector or a dealer sells a Nimoy on eBay, the buyer will always (hopefully) be paying what they think is an accpetable price for the card. It doesn't really make much difference who owned it in the first place.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree.

The collector sees this as a great opportunity to fill holes in his/her collection without breaking the bank for once.

The dealer sees this as a way to make triple their "investment" off collectors who weren't informed or missed out on the sale.

Neither viewpoint is wrong, I just happen to be a collector with no "investment" capitol. I guess that's what divides this hobby. My first thought when I see a great deal is, "Oh, I can fill some holes in my collection!". The dealers first thought is, "I could turn around and make a nice profit off that!".

Even when I was making more money a few years back, I never purchased anything with the forefront idea to make a profit. The day I do that, is the day it becomes about collecting money, not cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mintoncard,

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was planning on going back and grabbing a set once my funds were in order, but alas... Frown

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I agree.

The collector sees this as a great opportunity to fill holes in his/her collection without breaking the bank for once.

The dealer sees this as a way to make triple their "investment" off collectors who weren't informed or missed out on the sale.

Neither viewpoint is wrong, I just happen to be a collector with no "investment" capitol. I guess that's what divides this hobby. My first thought when I see a great deal is, "Oh, I can fill some holes in my collection!". The dealers first thought is, "I could turn around and make a nice profit off that!".

Even when I was making more money a few years back, I never purchased anything with the forefront idea to make a profit. The day I do that, is the day it becomes about collecting money, not cards.

This seems a very black and white way of looking at it.

I'll be honest: I pick up cards to make money, three LLP Nimoy's being a good recent example (one for me, two for selling).
However I also pick up many more cards for my personal collection which are never purchased for their monetary value but because I enjoy the subject matter. I never intend to sell them.

So what category do you fall into if you see both the opportunity to enhance your collection and make some money whilst doing it?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

All I know is, the last TNG autos I need for my master set are Michael Dorn, Majel Barret, and 3 others. The TNG set would have been a godsend for me.

I see someone has already listed some of the singles on the bay. Majel for $70, Dorn for $80, Sirtis for $70....

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks to this thread I managed to complete my Legends collection of the original series characters by adding the Scotty/Uhura/Sulu and Chekov/Chapel/Rand sets for only $6 each. I never would have thought to check the official site for cards otherwise.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
quote:

I agree.

I'll be honest: I pick up cards to make money, three LLP Nimoy's being a good recent example (one for me, two for selling).
However I also pick up many more cards for my personal collection which are never purchased for their monetary value but because I enjoy the subject matter. I never intend to sell them.

So what category do you fall into if you see both the opportunity to enhance your collection and make some money whilst doing it?

I guess that all depends on the first thought that enters your mind when you see the deal. It's a grey area, but your initial thought is the most dominating. In it for the cash or the collection? It's all subjective anyhow.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You know I'm a collector. I buy one of whatever I want and have never bought or sold any card simply for the profit. But I don't feel that collectors or dealers who take advantage of good offers are somehow not acting in good faith. The reason that we have a secondary market for cards is because of dealers and part time sellers who need to make a profit. Yet it is always up to the buyers to control the market and determine what a reasonable profit margin should be.

If someone is selling a card today for $100 and you know that they got if for free yesterday, don't buy it. If someone else buys it, say good for them they have a $100 to throw away.

If these same Star Trek cards are showing up at 5 times the price and people are willing to buy them, that becomes the price they are worth. The solution is simply, no one buy them and the prices will go down fast. But some collectors would rather get mad at the sellers for asking what really are insane prices in some cases, instead of just walking away.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post