Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Hello, I'm new here and I collect hologram chase cards.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hello, I'm new here and I collect hologram chase cards.
 Login/Join

Picture of James7
posted
Hello everyone,

I collect hologram chase cards, mostly from sets in the 1990s when most of the holograms were made.

I've not really gotten into modern card collecting with all the autographs and swatch cards. I do think the newer breeds of chase cards are cool, I just think holograms are cooler, harder to counterfeit, and usually much cheaper.

My collection is not very big right now, but I am currently expanding on it. So my question for you all is, which hologram chase sets do you think are "must haves" for a hologram collection? Which are your personal favorite hologram cards?

Posts: 34 | Location: USA | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
It depends a little on how restrictive you are about the type of 'hologram'. There were a lot of comics sets in the 90s with hologram chase, and at least two with holograms for every card (Batman holo, Superman holo). I believe the recent Marvel Beginnings had a hologram chase set recreating this style.

However, modern sets wanting to get the look of a hologram often use a lenticular card instead, which has several images layered. It's a bit like stop motion animation. If you are interested in these, Stargate premiere, and Stargate Season 8 both had nice versions of these as chase sets.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of James7
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Tangent. Why do you think it is that holograms have been replaced by lenticulars?

Personally, I wouldn't consider those lenticulars holograms, as they don't use a laser beam to record the image. And I have to draw the line somewhere or else I would never be able to afford a complete collection. Smile

Posts: 34 | Location: USA | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Some of the Marvel Universe sets had some really nice holograms. Most you can find for 2 or 3 bucks each. The Skybox Star Trek sets had holograms as well. My memory is not what it used to be.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
I LOVE holograms! The mid-1990s had tons of them, many of which can be found quite cheaply. The Superman and Batman sets are very nice. I've been picking up some here and there. The variety is huge. I've got everything from Disney characters and comic characters to motorhomes and metal band logos.

I'd highly recommend browsing through the NSU price guide to find sets or do a simple ebay search for "hologram*" in the non-sport section (by using the * you get results for both 'hologram' and 'holograms'). The mid- to late- 1990s also saw a bunch of great hologram sports sets from Upper Deck as well.

Happy hologram hunting!

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here in the UK we had Bassett issue in 1986 a set of 24 cards called Hologrems . Their size is approximately 35mm x 65mm (1.375" x 2.50"). The were two parallel sets one with a black back and the other with a red back.

I have pulled a picture from the "web" as shown below just to show the subject matter and the size.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I always liked the old Polaroid Phantagram Holograms ( they were the Greenish colored Holograms )

I always thought the Green "Wolverine" Hologram from X-Men II had great Depth ,
And the "spiderman vs Venom" hologram from the Spiderman Series too

Posts: 1176 | Location: Rochester , NY , USA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
I'm a serious collector of non-sport / sport holograms and lenticular cards. In the non-sport realm, there is very little I don't have. From film to comic properties, there is a wide variety of holograms to collect.

Certain types are easier to find than others. The Polaroid or "green" holograms deliver the best depth and detail. Also, SkyDisc holograms deliver full 180 degree motion when looked at properly.

Alas, the hologram chase card is virtually non-existant these days in the non-sports world (the sports world too). I have no idea why. Perhaps the cost of making them is too high.

Best of luck to you!

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
You might want to be careful with the Skydisc. There was something about the manufacturing process and not all of them still show the hologram. Sometimes you will see a sale for a 'rare blue' or similar, and actually the surface has changed colour. The blue and the flaw seem to be symptoms of the same problem as most of the green are still okay. It's also very hard to see without the card in hand whether it's okay.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
You might want to be careful with the Skydisc. There was something about the manufacturing process and not all of them still show the hologram.

That's interesting, I wonder if it has something to do with the elements? Storage, temperture, sunlight, humidity, all those things that can have adverse effects on cards and autographs.

Its like when the high gloss cards came out and they looked great and shiny. A couple of years later collectors realized that the gloss was reacting and sticking together to become solid bricks that couldn't be separated without damaging the cards. Twak

We really don't know how some of these processes and materials are going to hold up over time because they haven't been around long enough to have a testable history.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of James7
posted Hide Post
I would like to know more details about the disappearing Sky Discs. Maybe it was the manufacturing process, but also could the people have let them get exposed to sunlight? From what I understand thin holograms like most hologram chase cards are embossed on a layer of foil, but thick holograms like the Sky Discs are recorded on a photopolymer or plastic, which would more easily degrade in sunlight over the years. From what I've read holograms last a long time when properly cared for, longer than normal ink prints. And all the ones from the early nineties sets still look perfect, at least the ones I've gotten. Mintoncard, have you noticed any of your holograms or Sky Discs showing signs of decay?

As for gloss, that's actually one of the things I like about the early Impel sets. They have just the perfect amount of gloss and none of the cards stick, even after twenty years.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James7:
Mintoncard, have you noticed any of your holograms or Sky Discs showing signs of decay?

I cannot say I have ever seen a blue SkyDisc. (Although I have heard of them, but I have no interest in variants). The only "blue photopolymer hologram" I have seen in person was a Spiderman vs Venom at a card show. The hologram looked fine, just blue, not green.

As far as "decay". No, I haven't. Keep in mind, my collection is kept in a light-free environment.

I have all the regular released SkyDiscs:
Batman
Superman (2 different ones)
Badrock
Death (Sandman)

As well as:
Spiderman (2 different ones pasted on front of specific comic books)
Batman (CD size) as a dealer incentive
Badrock (CD size) as a dealer incentive
Spiderman (CD size) as a dealer incentive

As far as I know, those are the only SkyDiscs that were made. (I'm at work, so I may have left one out.)

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
On a side note, there is one particular hologram that I have noticed has been surfacing on an auction site lately:

It's a Star Trek Next Generation "Q" hologram. When held properly in the light, Q is not only in full color, but has full motion as well (he places his hands up to his mouth, as if pondering something). It's very well done considering it was not photopolymer, but done on foil.

Of all the Star Trek holograms from that series, I believe it was the only one with motion. (The others are not very good at all, I'm afraid).

Just a heads-up, it's worth checking out!

Picture of James7
posted Hide Post
I've seen that hologram on eBay, I believe it was packed one per every 5 boxes.

The new Marvel Beginnings set also has 35 holograms packed 1 per every 72 packs. Though they do not look like true holograms, but more like animation cells with a hologram background. I could be wrong because I've never seen one in person.

Man, with a 35 hologram set packed 1 per every 72 packs, who would even bother trying to complete it? Since the boxes only have 24 packs you'd need over 100 boxes to even have a chance at getting the whole set.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have been collecting the marvel beginnings cards and pulled a sketch card but cant seem to find any info on it anywhere, i cant find images or the artist or even for sale, any help or comments

Posts: 2 | Location: wynyard | Registered: December 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been collecting the marvel beginnings cards and pulled a sketch card but cant seem to find any info on it anywhere, i cant find images or the artist or even for sale, any help or comments

You might want to move your post out of a hologram discussion to get more responses. However, I just did an eBay search for 'Marvel Beginnings sketch*' and found 93 for sale so I'm not sure why you can't find any. Have a look through eBay and see if the artist signature matches the one you have. If you post a scan on this board (not in this thread), someone should be able to identify the artist for you.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
i appreciate your response and i was on ebay also but im looking for info on the card i have not a bunch of other ones, but im under the assumption that its because they are still too new of cards to be well advertised,and the question i put up was off of a thread i read but i will try on another heading, thanx.

Posts: 2 | Location: wynyard | Registered: December 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post