Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Buying boxes without shrink wrap?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying boxes without shrink wrap?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
Stumbled across fairly (or cheaply) priced full boxes online lately. Various sets and manufacturers. A few from the same seller.

There's the full pack count but none have the original manufacturers shrink wrap. Is it possible they simply had the shrink removed before sale?

Or more likely boxes (in fair or poor condition) were refilled with 'dud' packs left over from other box breaks?

Does this void any manufacturer guarantees of probable box break down?

Plus this isn't 'a box' for sale they're selling 6 or 10+ full boxes of the same product without shrink but full pack count.

I don't want to put down fair prices on a few boxes to end up with stacks of base cards, no chase cards and not even a full base set.

I don't want to contact the sellers because I don't want to sound like I'm accusing them of being dishonest when it could be a genuine mistake. Advice? Confused Thanks.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Nobody takes the wrap off to sell a full box. Most unopened boxes will also have an intact seal with the box number on it.

You could also have retail packs and you think its a hobby box.

If it doesn't look right, pass.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I'd never buy a box that doesn't have its original shrink wrapping.
In the case of Game of Thrones boxes all have a foil numbered seal over the opening, and that seal has to be cut/slit to open the box.

Some sets a few years back had a really formatted distribution of where the packs with hits were. I think one of the Harry Potter set's boxes, either DH1 or DH2 all had the autograph cards and other hits about two packs in on the right hand side. Something like that. Smile

If you just want base cards, or a set didn't have anything more hit-worthy than foils, then it might be OK. But the collation could still be way off.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
If they are Rittenhouse boxes, you could have the same problem that I had. When hidden archive boxes were inserted into cases, I bought two boxes of Farscape online that came without the outer seal. I can only assume that this was because the orange archive label used to be on the inside of the lid. If the outer was removed, the seller could look inside without breaking the box seal. I don't know if my reporting this to Rittenhouse caused the change, but future releases had the notification label on the inside bottom, safe from unscrupulous sellers.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
I purchased one once that had no shrink wrap on the box. It also had no hits or guaranteed autos. When I contacted the seller he told me to take it up with the manufacturer even though he was selling auto cards from the same set I just purchased. It was okay though, he lost many future sales to me for his greed. This is also why I do not buy packs from open boxes anymore....fool me once, shame on you......

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Like everyone else that would be a hard no from me.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
A well known dealer sells boxes of packs for $12 or so at shows. The costumes and autos are gone, but there are still chase and possibly another hit such as a sketch or plate.
I would only buy opened boxes if you knew the seller and if the price was really reasonable.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Agree with Don if it is cheap then at least you know what you are getting. If they are asking $30+ leave alone.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Of course I have purchased sealed boxes from dealers only to see them selling all the top autos on ebay lol

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fell for this when I first started out, "a box of 36 packs".
Didnt even get a base set from it, just many multiples of the same base cards.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A wee while back Cards Inc issued some of their boxes uncelophaned and no sticker seal! I was dubious at first but all the dealers got them this way. Lead to some quite heated discussions with CI customer service when the boxes came up short from their expected content.

Posts: 288 | Location: Behind the sofa! | Registered: April 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Quist:
A wee while back Cards Inc issued some of their boxes uncelophaned and no sticker seal! I was dubious at first but all the dealers got them this way. Lead to some quite heated discussions with CI customer service when the boxes came up short from their expected content.

Yeah some boxes are Topps and obviously re-packaged even with the 'correct' pack count. Fair price if you want a base set or three and there's no major chase cards in the sets anyway. Irritates me when you know they've taken the hits and not been upfront about it. Mad

But there are some sellers with reasonably priced Cards Inc. boxes who explained about the lack of shrink wrap. Honestly quite a surprising move by a manufacturer.

I guess they thought the packs would be on a shop counter and aimed at the youth market so why worry about shrink wrap for integrity of the boxes content. Confused Twak

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
posted Hide Post
Seen vids on youtube of people who bought unwrapped boxes, of which there sure was a lot of tampering involved, as there were not any of the better inserts inside! I've seen boxes myself that were not wrapped, but bought them because they were at a good price and found that they were searched! It's another "buyer beware" thing I guess, as you get what you paid for!

Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
But there are some sellers with reasonably priced Cards Inc. boxes who explained about the lack of shrink wrap. Honestly quite a surprising move by a manufacturer.

I guess they thought the packs would be on a shop counter and aimed at the youth market so why worry about shrink wrap for integrity of the boxes content. Confused Twak

Did you get that story straight from the manufacturer or the sellers?

A wrapped and sealed box is a wrapped and sealed box, no matter who it is aimed at. If its not wrapped and sealed you can reasonably assume its been opened by someone along the food chain. You asked for advice and the response has been unanimous, which is probably a first right there. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neilsy:
I fell for this when I first started out, "a box of 36 packs".
Didnt even get a base set from it, just many multiples of the same base cards.

Yeah I've been in the game long enough to know better (fool me once and all that). I've picked up a few bargains of 20 lose packs lately but since I'm collecting the base sets from scratch it's just added fun if I pull an 'extras'.

But if I had a base or mini master set and was pulling lose packs for hits I'd be irritated for sure if I felt the seller hadn't been honest about the chance of hits.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>:
Seen vids on youtube of people who bought unwrapped boxes, of which there sure was a lot of tampering involved, as there were not any of the better inserts inside! I've seen boxes myself that were not wrapped, but bought them because they were at a good price and found that they were searched! It's another "buyer beware" thing I guess, as you get what you paid for!

Yeah there's this one box of cards (Won't name product) that keeps coming up on Ebay every few months and has done for years. It's an unpopular product from a movie flop. Clearly the box has been poorly re-wrapped with cellophane and they're trying to get at least half the original retail value (Around £20+) for the box. It's a joke really.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Agree with Don if it is cheap then at least you know what you are getting. If they are asking $30+ leave alone.

It's $15 for TWO boxes re-packaged. I can imagine I'd be building forts with the base cards.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
A well known dealer sells boxes of packs for $12 or so at shows. The costumes and autos are gone, but there are still chase and possibly another hit such as a sketch or plate.
I would only buy opened boxes if you knew the seller and if the price was really reasonable.

Good advice Don, thanks. If the sellers up front and offering a decent price that's fair enough. It's when they play it up as 'might haves' when they know it s a dud that I get annoyed by the dishonesty of it.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
If they are Rittenhouse boxes, you could have the same problem that I had. When hidden archive boxes were inserted into cases, I bought two boxes of Farscape online that came without the outer seal. I can only assume that this was because the orange archive label used to be on the inside of the lid. If the outer was removed, the seller could look inside without breaking the box seal. I don't know if my reporting this to Rittenhouse caused the change, but future releases had the notification label on the inside bottom, safe from unscrupulous sellers.

Thanks for letting me know about the Rittenhouse boxes. They're a mix of Topps and Cards Inc and some Inkworks products.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:

Did you get that story straight from the manufacturer or the sellers?

A wrapped and sealed box is a wrapped and sealed box, no matter who it is aimed at. If its not wrapped and sealed you can reasonably assume its been opened by someone along the food chain. You asked for advice and the response has been unanimous, which is probably a first right there. Big Grin

Yeah the advice has been unanimous and appreciated. Another card talker explained that Cards Inc. released Thunderbirds Are Go set without shrink wrap or seals which I think's odd. I saw a box of that product for sale and the seller said the same thing (as the card talker) in the sale description.

I figure Cards Inc thought if only kids were buying the product (In the UK cards of all kinds are aimed at kid, don't know about US/Worldwide) who cares if they got the autograph card. Or if a pack was stolen and had something of value in it as they clearly didn't place much value on their products. Perhaps why they went out of business.