Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Men in Black (Inkworks) Question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Men in Black (Inkworks) Question
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
How tough are the Tommy Lee Jones and Lara Flynn Boyle autos ?

How many exist ? Anyone know ?

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Inkworks never released numbers, so it's all speculative.

I was told that Tommy Lee Jones was as few as 25.

Lara Flynn Boyle isn't as tough, but you sure don't see many of them. No idea how many were made.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I suppose the only people that could confirm would be the Actors

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Don't forget also that with Inkworks stuff it is not how many were released but how many were not released you have to worry about.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
But if only 50 were signed then you know that card is rare.

If 1000 were signed but only 50 released then there is a potential problem with value if the missing 950 are released

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I can't recall seeing either one offered for sale, even at the time MIB was released. I have no memory of what either one looks like. I think enough time has passed that any hidden inventory would have popped up, certainly on the Jones card anyway. It's very possible that all were not released to the public, but the limited number have probably found their way into permanent collections by now. I'm sure one or two may show up now and then, Boyle being the better bet, but anyone sitting on a pile would have cashed in a few years ago.

These big name, limited celebrity autograph cards are not like fine wine. They have their peak prices and they are either stuck there or they have fallen off from their highs. People who were willing to pay those highs already have them, so the window to make profits on what was initially paid is small and sellers know that.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
Only 25 or 50?! I'd better keep my Tommy Lee Jones card then. I was planning to sell it next week.

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
Here's mine by the way.

Tommy Lee Jones - MIB

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember at least some of the Boyle's were signed on base cards, possibly since she didn't like the picture of her they used on the intended autograph card. Anyone?

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I vaguely recall that Inkworks said why LFB signed two types of cards but I don't remember the reason.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see a signed Boyle common card from the set "you know where" as we speak

How often do the Jones and Boyle show up on "the auction site"

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I seem to remember at least some of the Boyle's were signed on base cards, possibly since she didn't like the picture of her they used on the intended autograph card. Anyone?

I think she originally signed a base set of MIB. I don't know if that was a mistake on her part or if she just didn't like the original card she was supposed to sign. I also don't know if she signed a whole base set, which would be what, about 72 cards? Anyway she did eventually sign the right cards as well, so it's a guess as to how many total Boyle MIB autographs were signed.

What I don't know is if those signed base cards were embossed in some way to identify them as certified from Inkworks? I know that not all Inkworks products had those embossed seals and, if MIB did not, how could you confirm that a base card with a Boyle signature wasn't an in-person or wasn't just a fake? Can someone who has one confirm if there is a seal please?

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see a scan of the signed auto card (not a base) by Boyle on another non sports forum

Not sure if I am allowed to post a link. You can see it if you do a Google search

maybe someone can post the image here

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tommy, just did that and found a closed auction on eBay that explains the whole thing. It would seem that the signed base cards from Boyle were embossed by Inkworks and used to satisfy her redemptions until she returned the correct autograph cards. The picture shown of the base card for sale has her autograph on the back side. Not all that attractive, the official card probably looks a lot better.

So they probably filled all the redemptions returned and would have a left over surplus that included both the remainder of the true cards, plus the remainder of the base cards she signed. How many that was and who got them afterwards is anybody's guess. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You can check the "Razor Ink Vault" box breakdowns from 2009 and 2010 and see if there were any in there. I know there are some case breaks in there, so it's a pretty good overview of what was in those.
If not, it's very likely most or all of them were distributed by the time Inkworks went out of business, since that seems to be where the bulk of the inventory went.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I did get a LFB redemption card in my box, and sent it in. I received a signed, embossed base card with a letter of explanation dated Nov.14, 2002, signed by Allan Caplan. But the surprise was when she did sign her "real auto card" Inkworks sent those who had already gotten a base card the correct autograph. so I wound up with 3 autographs, 2 of Boyle and one from Uncle Allan!

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, Don!
Inkworks did have that neat little embossing kit they used to take with them to Comic-Con. You could get up to 6 cards stamped with it as long as you opened the Inkworks packs at their booth. That's probably what they used to certify the "temporary" Boyles.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting this 4 year old thread

Do the 2 rare Men in Black autos turn up that much anymore ? I have never seen the Tommy Lee Jones, but I see the Lara Flynn on ebay now. Asking price $ 500 plus

I can't really see that being a reasonable price these days. Ms. Boyle is someone whose career has long faded into obscurity. I think the last thing of substance she did was that TV show "Las Vegas" in 2005.

Any thoughts ?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
She's probably best known for Twin Peaks, so there might be some demand from that quarter. It doesn't look like either one of these autograph cards come up often.

That doesn't necessarily translate into big bucks. I certainly wouldn't put her in the $200 range, let alone $500. She didn't have the career imagined and the card isn't even necessary to complete the set unless you have the Tommy Lee, which is not likely. I have never seen the Jones come up for sale myself.

But there are several certified autograph cards I could think of just off the top of my head that I would call wildly overpriced, so any seller can ask anything. It's only when they get it that it counts, but even then its just one buyer's decision.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I assume the TLJ cards are out there. I pulled a redemption card for it and they were out of the auto card.
I foolishly sent it in for a random card. Should have kept the redemption card as I didn't get it back with the auto they did send - I think it was the bird lady.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post