Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Men in Black (Inkworks) Question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Men in Black (Inkworks) Question
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A MIB Tommy Lee Jones autograph sold on Feb 5. for $3607. Eek

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12512...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I haven't looked every month wince 2018 but I have checked periodically for a sale of the Tommy Lee Jones autograph and haven't seen one. I don't know how old that price range is but I would guess it's from a few years ago. Maybe there are only 25-50 of them as reported earlier in the thread.

That's the current TLJ card price from the last adjusted Almanac, which I think should be looked at again because it's too low. But if the price guide is based on sales and the card isn't coming up for sale anywhere, then the excuse is that there are no verified sales to change the price. A Catch 22 as it were. Big Grin

Raj, was your redemption sent in prior to the expiration date? If it was there certainly should have been a TLJ card for it. If it was past expiration and Inkworks was just honoring it with anything, as they often ignored the dates, then there's nothing to say about it.

I suspect that TLJ cards left over after the redemption's expiration were moved privately, as would be the right of the maker. But they should have all been covered for redemptions submitted prior to expiration and if they weren't that would be wrong. Either way, you can't seem to find them now.

Just saw Logan's post. Much more like it and not even graded. Less than mint with those edges I would say myself.

If you read this thread in its entirety, you'll see that there was a different issue with the Laura Flynn Boyle MIB autograph cards.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for letting us know. Wow, yeah it received 16 bids from 6 different bidders with one of the early bidders coming back late with the winning bid. It started at $850 so the seller had an idea of what it had sold at before and the bidders recognized it as a very rare card - worth having even with a bent but maybe not creased corner and minor edge wear.

quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
A MIB Tommy Lee Jones autograph sold on Feb 5. for $3607. Eek

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12512...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right, what do you do when there are no verifiable sales for a couple of years? You have to go with what was reported before until someone spots a sale somewhere. You were right about it being undervalued. Did you think it could go for even more than that?

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
That's the current TLJ card price from the last adjusted Almanac, which I think should be looked at again because it's too low. But if the price guide is based on sales and the card isn't coming up for sale anywhere, then the excuse is that there are no verified sales to change the price. A Catch 22 as it were. Big Grin

Just saw Logan's post. Much more like it and not even graded. Less than mint with those edges I would say myself.

If you read this thread in its entirety, you'll see that there was a different issue with the Laura Flynn Boyle MIB autograph cards.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one of Lara Flynn Boyle's signed and embossed base cards. You can make out the seal on both sides.

Two of her signed/embossed base cards have sold this year: one with a Best Offer less than $99.99 (so $80-85?) and another with a Best Offer less than $249.95 (maybe $215-225).

Her A3 autograph card has sold for around $400-450.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Right, what do you do when there are no verifiable sales for a couple of years? You have to go with what was reported before until someone spots a sale somewhere. You were right about it being undervalued. Did you think it could go for even more than that?

Originally posted by Raven:
[/QUOTE]

Hard to say given that there is little logic to some of these auctions, but I think you could make a decent case for it going higher since this is likely to be TLJ's only certified card and no one is even sure how many got signed.

Also that copy is not graded and does show some deductions just on the scan. Anything that could grade a 9 and up should carry a nice price, but its possible that they all look just the same too. Inkworks cards of the early 2000s were thin and prone to edge and corner damage. The signature looks very good, which is the most important aspect to me.

If you were to seek a comparison of careers and personas, TLJ at 75 is not that far behind Harrison Ford at 79. Ford of course has the lead with Indy and Star Wars franchises, but they are pretty close as to the type of roles they played and are both crusty and private people in real life. If Ford signatures command so much and are more plentiful now, why wouldn't Jones' one rare autograph card be at least somewhat close behind in value?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The ebay seller with the Tommy Lee Jones also sold a Kirsten Dunst for $ 393.00, a Daniel Radcliffe Harry Potter for $ 2,141.00, and two Lord of the Rings autos for around $ 375 each

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post