Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Non Sports Price Guide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non Sports Price Guide
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
I need a new Non Sports Price guide mine are the 2008 Encyclopedia. 2008 Promo Encyclopedia. and a 2013 NSU price guide wich I have not subscribed to since that year.As Bekett have taken over NSU the reviews have not been so good so a NSU before Beckett would possibly be a good decision is there anything else out there any suggestions
Piko

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
The Non-Sport Almanac, 2017 is your best bet. Very complete. perfect for what you need. Check out the NSU store.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Actually, there's a new edition coming soon. I'd wait for the updated version if anything from the last year is of interest.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
I need a new Non Sports Price guide mine are the 2008 Encyclopedia. 2008 Promo Encyclopedia. and a 2013 NSU price guide wich I have not subscribed to since that year.As Bekett have taken over NSU the reviews have not been so good so a NSU before Beckett would possibly be a good decision is there anything else out there any suggestions
Piko

Just curious why would you prefer the pre-Beckett NSU price guide? Is it because you like the single price format instead of the LO and HI price ranges?

Although the drawback of having that older 2013 issue versus one of the last pre-Beckett NSU is that you'd be missing about 4 years of newer products. Depending on what you are looking for, the prices tend not to vary too much after their initial pricing for those older products.

Like Scifi Cards suggested, I think you'd probably be better served getting the 2018 Non-Sport Almanac for more updated pricing info for the newest releases.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Beckett NSU guide and Almanac both have bad reviews and as i do not collect anything later than 2014 that is why I thought that a later NSU guide might be better for me I really want it for reference as there is the inference that Non Sports cards prices are falling My main interest are Inkworks cards and recently a lot of them that are for sale are well over the price guide listed prices especially Inserts Signature and pieceworks some of them 3 to 4 times the guide price and some of them selling so have prices actually gone up or is it just the sellers trying their luck but after having the same guides for about ten years I think I need a new one
Piko

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Which ones sold for higher than the price guide? Was it a Pieceworks that had an usual piece? Or the autograph inserts?

Maybe Beckett's Online Price Guide (OPG) might able to help you out the quickest for those cards.

I found that I had a NSU price guide from 2015, here's how some of the autos compared to the 2017 Almanac ...

NSU April - May 2015
A1 Joss Whedon: $218
A2 David Boreanaz: $380
A3 Alyson Hannigan: $470
A5 Charisma Carpenter: $425
A6 Anthony Steward Head: $270
A7 John Ritter: $195
A12 James Marstera: $190
A15 Eliza Dusku: $180

2017 Beckett Non-Sport Almanac
A1 Joss Whedon; $100-$200
A2 David Boreanaz: $80-$150
A3 Alyson Hannigan: $200-$350
A5 Charisma Carpenter: $200-$400
A6 Anthony Steward Head: $25-$60
A7 John Ritter: $150-$300
A12 James Marstera: $60-$120
A15 Eliza Dusku: $60-$120

I just saw that there was a 20% code for the OPG if you sign-up for the Beckett Playbook offer. It's been years since I got an OPG so not sure how easy it is go cancel after subscribing for a month though.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Price guides will always be a snapshot in time and may not even be a terribly accurate snapshot at that. I use them for reference and my main concern is that the checklists for sets I look for are covered. I do take the pricing with a grain of salt because it doesn't matter what it says anyway. The prices will become stale and the ranges are too broad. A better estimate of value can be made just by looking at recent sales on eBay. The Beckett Non-Sport Almanac is the best current price guide because its pretty much the only updated one in print.

With the Inkworks autograph cards its pretty simple. Anything that wound up dumped into the Razor Ink boxes after they bought up the inventory went down. The big, early Buffy signatures were not included in the sale. They have stayed at the same price or increased as far as I can see. If anyone wants to sell me a Head A6 at $25, a Marsters A12 at $60, a Dusku A15 at $60 or a Boreanaz A2 at $80, please let me know. I doubt I will hear from anyone.

Those Hi - Low range prices are very deceiving. Typically the Low price is used by buyers/dealers when they are making offers. The Hi price is what those same buyers/dealers might expect to ask when selling the very same cards. Its their profit margin. Then you might factor in card condition, which inevitably makes the Lows lower and the His higher, depending on which end of the transaction you are on. Wink

As is often written, any price guide is only a guide. It can be part of the process, but the ranges are so subjective that there is enough room for people to interpret them anyway they want.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was curious to see what Buffy autos were selling for and was surprised Eek at some recent sell prices on the 'bay:

$18.99 - Nicholas Brendon A11
INKWORKS BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER NICHOLAS BRENDON AUTOGRAPH card A11 NM-MT https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...2Fitm%2F282981153254

$31.00 - Amber Bensen A23
BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SEASON FIVE AMBER BENSON / TARA AUTOGRAPH AUTO A23 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...2Fitm%2F253621261896

$43.00 - James Marsters A12
INKWORKS BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER JAMES MARSTERS AUTOGRAPH card A12 (NM-MT) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...2Fitm%2F282996241823

$63.81 - Eliza Dushku A15
Inkworks Eliza Dushku Autograph Card Buffy Season 3 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...2Fitm%2F223041177261

$82.00 - Joss Whedon A1
Buffy Joss Whedon Season 1 Auto Card RARE A1 TVS Autograph Signed https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...2Fitm%2F323301240572

$86.11 - Sarah Michelle Gellar
2017 BUFFY the VAMPIRE SLAYER Collector's Set 2 AUTO/Relic SARAH GELLAR https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...2Fitm%2F153038169528

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You might want to check those links, I'm not bring up those prices when I hit them. A couple I do see seem to mention lesser grades, which certainly make them cheaper. The Gellar has a $299 price. I bought that card a year back for around $175. I wouldn't expect to see it lower than $150. Brendon and Benson were always lower cards, but never at $19. Dushku and Whedon links don't come up for me and Marsters seem to be an active auction at $39.99 for a card with dings that hasn't ended yet.

Those are not average price ranges for these cards. Guides try to throw out the highest and lowest sales and settle on average buys of cards in good condition. But remember that "good" condition does not mean good condition, so you really want something as close to near mint as you can get. You can always hunt around and find the cheapest sales records. That doesn't mean you want those cards. Sometimes you can get lucky, but if the deal is so great, there is usually a reason why and you had better know the reason before you buy. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

You might want to check those links, I'm not bring up those prices when I hit them. A couple I do see seem to mention lesser grades, which certainly make them cheaper.

The links given are correct but eBay has a new thing now where they automatically show you an active listing instead of the completed one you're looking for.

Near the top left of the item page it reads...

"The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you."

Click on the word "listing" and it takes you to the actual completed listing.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Eventually those links won't work. I probably should have just did screen shots (but those are a pain to do on message boards. Anyone know an easy way to post pics?) or put up the auction numbers so they can be looked up on other sites that show complete auctions. It does appear that the Sarah Michelle Gallar auto/costume was relisted at $299.95 BIN with Best Offer, but there's a couple others listed for $189.99 BIN.

There was 2015 SMG auto that seemed surprisingly reasonable to me that sold in auction format (332721832189) for $130.50 ...
2015 Buffy The Vampire Slayer Ultimate Sarah Michelle Gellar Auto! BV $200 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...2Fitm%2F332721832189

... and another SMG auto that I wasn't familiar with, but two if them sold for $120 BIN from the same seller in April (173291393197) and May (173297391969) ...
BUFFY The Vampire Slayer Ult. Series 3 SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR Gold Autograph AUTO https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...2Fitm%2F173291393197

BUFFY The Vampire Slayer Ult. Series 3 SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR Gold Autograph AUTO https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...2Fitm%2F173297391969

I just looked in the June/July 2018 issue of NSU and both SMG auto cards are listed $120-$200.
Then since I was on those Buffy pages, I notice a pricing update since the 2017 Almanac ...
A12 James Marsters $75-$150
A15 Eliza Dushku $120-$200

Also, here's the pricing for these ...
A11 Nicholas Brendon $30-$80
A23 Amber Benson $50-$100

Back to the original post, maybe some of the autos have increased and others have had a decline in
price since your 2013 NSU price guide gathered that data. These more recent auctions examples are just snapshots of some of deals that can be had from time to time. Maybe dealers are listing some cards higher than the price guide in hopes that someone will be willing to pay that price at some point? Generally, the majority of cards seem to fall between those ranges that the Beckett Almanac listed. If certain cards starts to sell at a higher (or lower) price consistently then you'd see that adjustment in the NSU before then next Almanac comes out a year later. If you don't want to get an OPG, then try the next issue of NSU to see if that will meet your needs before getting the Almanac since the NSU is more affordable.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Personally I ignore price guides as I am not interested at all in the price displayed, If I buy a price guide it is not for the price displayed. For me price guides are only useful as a checklist of cards available for a particular set especially if I am unable to use the internet. For me the price guide currently printed in NSU does not even provide that requirement as it omits one of the most important pieces of information and that is the name of the card manufacturer.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I cant seem to pull the lots up as my listings seem to only go until May 31 from memory there was some Lost a couple of Buffy and Angel I now realise that the Razor releases have a lot to do with it but from memory none of these were Razor releases actually i notice that there now seems to be a sway towards not taking notice of price guides but I think that I will just try and get a copy of the NSU magazine I will try out the OPG that HfH mentions and see what happens from there I actually dont want it for selling as I live in New Zealaland and the exchange rate has gone up to $1.45 and most shipping costs $13 for one card I have to know what a card is worth before buying it BIN is my best system as I can get a number of items and get them sent to my N Z Post address in Oregon then getting five parcels combined is still costly but I can save up to $45 US by this system Also if I get 20 cards this way i average the 20 cards out by the price paid for everything and dearer cards can average cheap but the cheaper ones rise in value but not so much as if I purchased them singly it mite sound weird but that is how I work it really when it is all boiled down the biggest rip off in our hobby is not the collectors but the shipping costs especially the E Bay Global Shipping Program

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
Can NSU print screenshots of eBay sales?
For example, here's Sketchcard prices archived by screenshot:

https://sketchcard.wordpress.c...ales-of-summer-2018/

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow nice prices nice cards even though I am not a sketch card fan I can still appreciate these cards the last one from Australia $3000 with an exchange rate of approx 40% would make it cheap for U S A buyers but as I live next door I have to say that Australian prices for cards are the most expensive in the world