Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    INternational shipping agggaaaiiinnnn
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

INternational shipping agggaaaiiinnnn
 Login/Join

Picture of STCardGeek
posted
So, it has been quite awhile since I sent a high dollar card in the mail via ebay. A card with a value of over $400.
As best as I can tell, I can ONLY send this via express mail or priority mail (non flat rate) and use the large customs forms.
This causes it to cost over $40.
My question is...if you aren't sure what a card will end at, how do you set of the auction? The money I need for postage will vary widley if the card ends up going for over $400 vs, what it will cost if it ends less then $400. BUt, every once in awhile I am not sure what it will end up at. I clearly don't want to set up a high shipping cost when it isn't needed as it's a deterent.
Well, it's a deterent iether way but if they want the card bad enough, they should be willing to pay for it Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I actually only ship internationally to international buyers that I approve. I tell them my shipping policy, and if they don't agree to it they don't get approved to bid.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
HOw do you set up the auction then? With what type of shipping options?

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
HOw do you set up the auction then? With what type of shipping options?

I block all international bidders, and then add buyers as they contact me to my exemptions list. My auctions will state that international buyers must contact me prior to bidding or making offers.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I have seen auctions that state if purchase price over a certain price then insured mail will be $x.

No reason why you can't say items under x will cost y for postage

Over x and it will cost y for insurance

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
STCardGeek, I am always willing to pay that sort of cost for shipping when it is over $150. So if people are put off with you charging $40 for shipping they don't want the card bad enough Big Grin

Chuck, so are your listings set for being sold worldwide? I didn't know you could do that sort of thing and then block all international bidders.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
I have seen auctions that state if purchase price over a certain price then insured mail will be $x.

No reason why you can't say items under x will cost y for postage

Over x and it will cost y for insurance
Actually, there is a reason. If you use the word 'additional' or something similar in conjunction with 'postage', 'shipping' or 'insurance', then eBay's system will stop your listing from going through until you change the wording. They don't like it if you suggest charging extra for insurance these days as it 'damages buyer confidence' Frown You have to be very careful how you word things.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I didn't use the word "additional" or anything similar

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
True, I was just giving a shortened version of my own personal experience with eBay Smile

Regardless of what you put in the description, if you try to increase the shipping cost after the auction through the invoice you can guarantee that the buyer will either complain or hit you with a 1 star DSR for postage costs. And if you start with the high postage cost with an offer to reduce it in the description...you wont get any bidders because the postage is too high Big Grin

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Don't you have to set up shipping in advance and can they not jsut pay off that before you send an invoice?

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
True, I was just giving a shortened version of my own personal experience with eBay Smile

Regardless of what you put in the description, if you try to increase the shipping cost after the auction through the invoice you can guarantee that the buyer will either complain or hit you with a 1 star DSR for postage costs. And if you start with the high postage cost with an offer to reduce it in the description...you wont get any bidders because the postage is too high Big Grin

Too true Smile

posted Hide Post
Hey, I think I bought that card..

I do look at the advertised postage cost and that does reflect in my bidding. It's annoying with UK customs as they are pretty hot on catching expensive items, I always take the mindset that the cheaper postage items tend to get through, but when items are fully insured and declared, UK customs always catch them and add 20%.

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:

Chuck, so are your listings set for being sold worldwide? I didn't know you could do that sort of thing and then block all international bidders.

My auctions block international bidders, but in my description I do say that international bidders can contact me to get approved to bid. When they contact me I give them the shipping terms. If they are okay with the shipping terms I add them to my exemptions list to allow them to bid.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:

My auctions block international bidders, but in my description I do say that international bidders can contact me to get approved to bid. When they contact me I give them the shipping terms. If they are okay with the shipping terms I add them to my exemptions list to allow them to bid.

That's must be why I have never seen any of your listings, I only check through the Australian version, so if it isn't listed to be sold worldwide I don't see the listings. And I don't even bother to check on the US version because if sellers haven't listed it worldwide I just figure they don't want to sell outside of the US.
I can't want/have/need, what I don't see Big Grin

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I do alot of consignment and that reflects some in my decision making on how I ship a card.
It's likely I will take more risks on my own inventory then I will on a card I'm selling for someone else.
THey are less likley to want me to defer to the buyer to keep THEIR costs down vs. risking having to give the money back if the card goes missing.

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
THe one think that isn't taken into account if an overseas buyer requests an expensice item be sent without insurance is the effecrt it has on my life expectency. I fret and worry and stress until it arrives and soemtimes it can take awhile.

Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I block all international bidders, and then add buyers as they contact me to my exemptions list. My auctions will state that international buyers must contact me prior to bidding or making offers.

If someone is worry about shipping International. I agree with the recommendation.

STCardGeek, I recommend you ask for S&H what make feel you safe. If you still want to offer to International buyers without using the recommendation from Chuck Bartowski. I recommend you add/show clearly your S&H for high value items in the listing.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I got my DeForest Kelley card, arrived safe and sound. That is of course, if it was the card you were talking about.. thanks a lot, been chasing that one for ages..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
In an indrect fashion. I was more thinking about what to do with future high end card as I foudn the maze of shipping options/insurance quite the maze..and I've been doing this for awhile!