Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scott Harben Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Anyone know anything about these cards sold at shows, which depict Marvel and DC superheroes, Star Wars characters, etc. ?

Specifically, I have seen people selling "sets" of cards #1-16. but I have also a seen a card # 20 of Darth Vader

How many are there ? Where are cards #17-19 ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I only seen and have 1-16. I love them. But be careful talking about these. I made the mistake on facebook. Some people say that these are illegal and damage the card community. I disagree. There's a fine line on what's legal and what's not. Basically no different than prints, which makes nearly every artist out there breaking the law.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Prints of trademarked and copyrighted material are absolutely illegal -- any artist that produces them is definitely breaking the law -- there isn't even a gray area there.

On topic -- I've never heard of these cards.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Prints of trademarked and copyrighted material are absolutely illegal -- any artist that produces them is definitely breaking the law -- there isn't even a gray area there.

Because they're part of the illegal underbelly of the art world.

Well, some people state that it is legal if less than 100 are produced. I use to read when it came to statues, that less than 10 was okay.

Illegal or not, the license holders are not prosecuting. It's been going on for years.

There was a time that California was prosecuting those that sold promo cards.

Call the cops, because I have bought prints, sold promos, and have driven over the speed limit. Looks like most of us will be going to jail.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
quote:

Well, some people state that it is legal if less than 100 are produced. I use to read when it came to statues, that less than 10 was okay.

Illegal or not, the license holders are not prosecuting. It's been going on for years.

Call the cops, because I have bought prints, sold promos, and have driven over the speed limit. Looks like most of us will be going to jail.

Uhh. . . why would I call the cops. . . I'm not making any judgements here. . . Just stating facts.

While a lot of this activity isn't pursued by the license holder some of it is, in fact very recently (in the last few months) a license holder went through a big show and stop the sale of a pile of prints and originals of materials they owned the licenses to.
No one got sued (to my knowledge), but some people did lose gigs over it (reportedly). . .

There isn't even a gray area here. . . 1 is not legal, let alone 10 or 100. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
quote:

Uhh. . . why would I call the cops. . . I'm not making any judgements here. . . Just stating facts.

While a lot of this activity isn't pursued by the license holder some of it is, in fact very recently (in the last few months) a license holder went through a big show and stop the sale of a pile of prints and originals of materials they owned the licenses to.
No one got sued (to my knowledge), but some people did lose gigs over it (reportedly). . .

There isn't even a gray area here. . . 1 is not legal, let alone 10 or 100. . .

I wasn't implying you personally call the cops. And FYI, AMC stopped licensed products from being sold. Well, requested it stopped. The artists should have sold what they wanted. Anyway, big deal that it was so called banded from one convention. AMC hasn't hit any others at this point.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Webjon,

Here are pictures of the artwork on some of the cards. Someone mentioned elsewhere on Card Talk that he sells these at conventions

http://harben-pictures.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The cards I have seen are

1- Captain America
2- Wonder Woman
3- Han Solo
4- Darth Talon
5- Red Skull
6- Wonder Woman
7- Black Lantern Batman
8- Slave Leia
9- Catwoman
10- Cyborg Maul
11- The Hulk
12- Ms. Marvel
13- Supergirl
14- Iron Patriot
15- Yoda
16- Hawkgirl

20- Darth Vader

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
I like these. I saw them at his table during SDCC this year. Would have sworn he was upto 27 so far but don't quote me.

He sells them but also uses them as business cards too. Which is how I got 1 when we were talking about metal possibilities

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Updated your list.

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
The cards I have seen are

1- Captain America
2- Wonder Woman
3- Han Solo
4- Darth Talon
5- Red Skull
6- Wonder Woman
7- Black Lantern Batman
8- Slave Leia
9- Catwoman
10- Cyborg Maul
11- The Hulk
12- Ms. Marvel
13- Supergirl
14- Iron Patriot
15- Yoda
16- Hawkgirl
17- Iron Man
18- Thanos
19- Bat Woman
20- Darth Vader

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I've never seen or heard of these cards, but if they lack copyright it puts them in the catagory of novelty items at best. By that I mean, they will never be worth more than what you paid for them and they can be printed forever, so the production number is unknown.

In short, they have zero value.

That doesn't mean that they might not be attractive or have enough fans to create a market. I believe it is the responsibility of license holders to enforce their rights and if they don't want to do it they are only hurting themselves. As long as buyers know that these types of cards are illegal and therefore worthless, they can spend their money as they choose.

Just don't confuse the issue, no copyright means no pricing, no value. This has always been true in the card industry and as webjon said, its not a gray area.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I've never seen or heard of these cards, but if they lack copyright it puts them in the catagory of novelty items at best. By that I mean, they will never be worth more than what you paid for them and they can be printed forever, so the production number is unknown.

In short, they have zero value.

That doesn't mean that they might not be attractive or have enough fans to create a market. I believe it is the responsibility of license holders to enforce their rights and if they don't want to do it they are only hurting themselves. As long as buyers know that these types of cards are illegal and therefore worthless, they can spend their money as they choose.

Just don't confuse the issue, no copyright means no pricing, no value. This has always been true in the card industry and as webjon said, its not a gray area.

You never watch those pawn and storage shows? Everything has value.

You never bought any prints from conventions and/or ebay?

I guess I'm a renegade. I have all sorts of prints. Signed "illegal" cards from releases that where later sued over and ones that where supposed to have been destroyed. That reminds me, I found my extra Star Wars stamps yesterday that I should sell soon. Slip them by Disney on the Bay.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I watch the pawn and storage shows, and most of the contents of a storage room go straight to the nearest dumpster. They only show film for the interesting stuff. Auction Hunters even started with the message "these are the guys' most valuable finds".

On the whole, trading card collections have not done well.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
I watch the pawn and storage shows, and most of the contents of a storage room go straight to the nearest dumpster. They only show film for the interesting stuff. Auction Hunters even started with the message "these are the guys' most valuable finds".

On the whole, trading card collections have not done well.

That's not my point. Everything has some sort of monetary value to someone.

I bought the first 16, and I'm working on the last 4. Just like with most cards I buy, it's a great way to own art that I appreciate.

I doubt there's a single collector on here that doesn't own something that could be considered illegal or bought it illegally.

How about those old promos that said "not for resale" or something to that affect. Basically, promos are not meant to be sold, and at one time was illegal to do so in California. Might still be.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well this thread was started to talk about some cards that apparently were produced without a copyright permission. As I said, these are novelity items and if collectors want to knowingly mingle unlicensed cards with their genuinely produced cards that is their choice. If they are unknowingly doing it, they are being scammed.

Cards or prints reproduced without proper licenses are generally poorly made and will not appreciate in value. They are counterfeit merchandise. Is there a market for such merchandise? Sure there is! Just look at all the fake designer bags and clothes and bootleg DVDs. People buy them all the time. Are they as good as having the original? No. If your girlfriend takes her diamond engagement ring to be appraised and she finds out you gave her a CZ will she be happy? Big Grin

No matter how you may try to spin it, unlicensed cards hurt manufacturers who have to pay huge sums for the permission to make authentic cards. They should be enforcing their rights, but that's up to them. If people want to buy unlicensed stuff that's up to them also, but I would never advocate it because the items are just not genuine collectibles. They are fakes and that makes them worthless, even if there is a market for fakes. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Remember back in the early 90s all of those illegal Bart Simpson cards ?

Bart knows this, Bart knows that, etc. I believe some are listed in PCE

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Well this thread was started to talk about some cards that apparently were produced without a copyright permission. As I said, these are novelity items and if collectors want to knowingly mingle unlicensed cards with their genuinely produced cards that is their choice. If they are unknowingly doing it, they are being scammed.

Cards or prints reproduced without proper licenses are generally poorly made and will not appreciate in value. They are counterfeit merchandise. Is there a market for such merchandise? Sure there is! Just look at all the fake designer bags and clothes and bootleg DVDs. People buy them all the time. Are they as good as having the original? No. If your girlfriend takes her diamond engagement ring to be appraised and she finds out you gave her a CZ will she be happy? Big Grin

No matter how you may try to spin it, unlicensed cards hurt manufacturers who have to pay huge sums for the permission to make authentic cards. They should be enforcing their rights, but that's up to them. If people want to buy unlicensed stuff that's up to them also, but I would never advocate it because the items are just not genuine collectibles. They are fakes and that makes them worthless, even if there is a market for fakes. Wink

That's your opinion on value, and that's true about the legal stuff. Yet as I said before, I highly doubt you or anyone here has not had some sort of so called illegal transaction.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if there are any more cards in this set ? Anything beyond # 20 ?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Scott says he will have new ones at SDCC.

posted Hide Post
most of the so called art is just manipulated cosplay pics. ask the guy to draw something as you watch at the next con, if he can't he's a fraud.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post