Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that still seem like a good deal.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that still seem like a good deal.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted
Just my opinion, but it I'm surprised these cards aren't bringing more:

Here are recent sales prices, these cards might not be for sale for these prices, but you can probably find them with patience

Autographs:
Martin Sheen Babylon 5 ~30
Ryan Seacrest American Idol ~30
Jennifer Hudson American Idol ~5
David Prowse Americana ~25
Patty Duke Americana ~20
Richard Dreyfuss Americana ~10-25

Many other Americana autos available under $10

I can add more as I run across them if people are interested.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
The Hudson just amazes me. Academy Award, Golden Globe, SAG, 2 Grammy's. 2 Gold Albums and some platinum singles.

Maybe after she does the Aretha movie someone will take notice.

Sheen is a big time through the mail signer. Wonder if that makes people not want to spend a lot for the ugly B5 card. That whole set didn't use the most flattering photos for their autograph cards.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
With Americana and to a lesser degree Pop Century, its not just the designs and stickers, but the unflattering candid photos that reduce their demand. Some card collectors only want cards that portray actors in certain roles or at least mention them. Autographs are much more in demand in the title products than in these mixed bag ones.

As far as Hudson goes, it's the same as many, many signers I could name. There is zero correlation between autograph signers in terms of who should be worth more. Popular demand sets the pricing and at least some in demand celebrities are awful performers, but they have a hit movie or they are just nice to look at.

Would you seriously pay more for autograph cards of Megan Fox and Jessica Alba than Maggie Smith and Cate Blanchett? The Fox and Alba cards not only go for way more, they continue to rise through all this hype.

So there is a long list of celebrities who are seriously undervalued when you make any sort of sensible judgement. That's not the way the hobby market works. It rewards many top picks in high demand that are really bad choices. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
From what I can tell from eBay sales, the Sarah Michelle Geller and Alyson Hannigan autograph cards in RA Buffy Series 2 and 3 are selling at under $200, sometimes closer to $100. They were sold as the main card in $400 set SRP units, but there was even more interest in the exceptional sketch card incentives. There can't be too many of these autograph cards made, but they seem to have grown quite cold. I picked up the Geller signed relic card in 2017 and thought I got good price. There are a couple I see for less now.

I wonder if anyone knows if the pricey official RA Buffy sketch cards held their value or increased/decreased? The history of 1/1s is tough to track as they may never reappeared.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
From what I can tell from eBay sales, the Sarah Michelle Geller and Alyson Hannigan autograph cards in RA Buffy Series 2 and 3 are selling at under $200, sometimes closer to $100. They were sold as the main card in $400 set SRP units, but there was even more interest in the exceptional sketch card incentives. There can't be too many of these autograph cards made, but they seem to have grown quite cold. I picked up the Geller signed relic card in 2017 and thought I got good price. There are a couple I see for less now.

I wonder if anyone knows if the pricey official RA Buffy sketch cards held their value or increased/decreased? The history of 1/1s is tough to track as they may never reappeared.

Yeah, you would think those RA autographs would move up especially seeing how awful SMG's Star Wars sigs look.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:

The auto/relic is the weakest of the lot.

In the last 2 months I've sold 2 Buffy Sketches for nearly $500 each and the first bordered and full bleed autos for over $400 each.

It does not always pay to rely on eBay for sales, but it's the only public data we have on sales.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It surprised me to see these Dexter autos at these prices. Well known stars, on card autos.

John Lithgow @ $30
Jimmy Smits @ <$20.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well I'll say this, I have never seen a decent Jimmy Smits Dexter autograph card anywhere. The card surface and the pen didn't agree. It looks like the ink just wouldn't take on the card. I have one myself and I only bought it because I was collecting Dexter for awhile. Otherwise I would consider it a damaged signature, as they all are.

Lithgow's signature from a different season came out with very thin lines and is not great looking either.

Michael C. Hall could be found for around $70 for a long time, but it looks like he has gone over $100 now on most of his autographs.

Yvonne Strahovski is the biggest auto in this set and rising up. Julia Stiles is next. Charlotte Rampling, a respected actress who has only this one certified card, was dirt cheap. So I just looked and Rampling has gone over $100, that's new.

posted Hide Post
Ohh well.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just looking at the first three, I would say that most people don't remember Martin Sheen for his role in "Babylon 5," though I'm sure fans of that show certainly do, and the photo of him makes him less recognizable. Some autograph collectors want not only a clean, legible signature, they want an attractive card design and a nice photo of the celebrity from whatever show or movie for which that person is well-known. It appears collectors will buy it if it's a good deal but might spring more for a card connected to "Apocalypse Now," "Wall Street," or "West Wing."

Ryan Seacrest doesn't have much of an autograph so that probably hurts the value among the pickier autograph collectors. He is well-known, likable, and a good TV host but maybe collectors would rather pay up for an actor/actress. I assume the autograph of a famous scientist might go for about that too though one from someone like Dr. Fauci or Neil deGrasse Tyson might go for more.

Since your post, Jennifer Hudson's card has been selling for more. Two cards have sold for $10-25 and graded cards have gone for more. Some collectors might have decided to take a look at what's available after that post.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Just my opinion, but it I'm surprised these cards aren't bringing more:

Here are recent sales prices, these cards might not be for sale for these prices, but you can probably find them with patience

Autographs:
Martin Sheen Babylon 5 ~30
Ryan Seacrest American Idol ~30
Jennifer Hudson American Idol ~5
David Prowse Americana ~25
Patty Duke Americana ~20
Richard Dreyfuss Americana ~10-25

Many other Americana autos available under $10

I can add more as I run across them if people are interested.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Ryan Seacrest doesn't have much of an autograph so that probably hurts the value among the pickier autograph collectors. He is well-known, likable, and a good TV host but maybe collectors would rather pay up for an actor/actress.

Seacrest was selling for triple digits or near triple digits until realtively recently as it seems a bunch of his autographs were found in some quantity apparently having come from the Fleer liquidation from years ago.

Who knows how many autographs were found, but when they dry up there is every chance they rise in price.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I'll say this, I have never seen a decent Jimmy Smits Dexter autograph card anywhere. The card surface and the pen didn't agree.

There do seem to be many smudged up Smits auto cards out there but there are a few good ones too. I'm guessing collectors want to hang on to em if even for that reason. This one is mine.

Looks like someone has a Yvonne up for a BIN of $1k. Should be interesting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,